Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

Oh, I agree that objectively, GMN is a great song, but I just don't play it much. Could come down to simply relating to it differently than you do due to our different life experiences/perspective.

Ah, fair enough. I wasn't even considering the lyrics though, they're like the least important thing on that song for me :P

(HA YES I mean, I did expose it in the end :P )

See, I don't think it is necessary at all. Whatsername is set up as this incredibly energetic, volatile, independent character in "She's a Rebel," right? And "Jesus" clearly likes her, but why does he have to date her? The album would stand fine without him dating her, in my opinion, might even be better. So, in "She's a Rebel" you've got Jesus enamored of her, and then if we skip "Extraordinary Girl" and go right into "Letterbomb" you've got her just up and leaving, and maybe that last bit - "You're not the Jesus of Suburbia, the St. Jimmy is a figment of your father's rage and your mother's love, etc." is just her kind of crushing his puppy love for her. Maybe she leaves because she feels smothered by his affection for her. What if they didn't have some sort of epic love story, etc., what if we just had Jesus crushing on her hard and her rejecting him outright? Because the album as a whole is so sketchy on the parameters of their relationship, I think the idea of a Jesus and Whatsername who didn't have some sort of big relationship is perfectly plausible.

(Fair enough. :lol:)

I can't see the song that bears her name working if that were the case, as it's clearly about a relationship.

Ah, fair enough. I wasn't even considering the lyrics though, they're like the least important thing on that song for me :P

Genuinely curious, what's so fantastic about it musically? Especially the drumming.

(Fair enough. :lol:)

I can't see the song that bears her name working if that were the case, as it's clearly about a relationship.

Ehhhhhh it could definitely be about a more one-sided affection or admiration of her. It could be about a lost friendship, or the loss of a friendship that had potential to turn into a relationship.

Ehhhhhh it could definitely be about a more one-sided affection or admiration of her. It could be about a lost friendship, or the loss of a friendship that had potential to turn into a relationship.

Given that the latter's exactly what I associate that with (insert rambling personal story here), I'll concede that you're completely right.

• Like 2

Genuinely curious, what's so fantastic about it musically? Especially the drumming.

Well it's simplistic but absolutely solid. The drumming is absolute perfection, I just love the rhythm and groove of it, and I really like how it's really busy but also appears sparse at the same time since it's just kick, snare and cymbals. I like the syncopation between the two acoustic guitars, the slide guitar gives it a really interesting, kind of Hawaiian feel, and the dynamic change when the distorted guitars kick in at the chorus is just awesome. I love the guitar solo too, it's quite simple but I just like ones that have that kind of melodic shape, starting low and just picking out the notes from the power chord then rising above the mix as it runs through the scale. It's very similar to 21 Guns in that respect, which I also really like.

• Like 4

GMN is one of the best songs on AI, what the fuck?! Extraordinary Girl is the weakest song on there and even that's good, so...

Yes, this is true, only "she's all alone again" part is good to me.

I kinda wish they'd given the verse vocals on "Tales of Another Broken Home" to Mike like they did on BIAB.

I kinda wish they'd given the verse vocals on "Tales of Another Broken Home" to Mike like they did on BIAB.

i must listen to that now cause i thought billie just dropped out like in i dont care

I thought Mike took the lead on I Don't Care, not Tales Of Another Broken Home. Then again I haven't listened to it for ages.

I thought Mike took the lead on I Don't Care, not Tales Of Another Broken Home. Then again I haven't listened to it for ages.

mike and jason only lead on parts of the verse, billie starts lead on like the third line of each verse as far as the video makes it look

• Like 1

mike and jason only lead on parts of the verse, billie starts lead on like the third line of each verse as far as the video makes it look

It sounds to me like he's singing the backing part, though.

I didn't realize that was an unpopular opinion

I didn't realise it had a video.
  • Like 1

Lol @ brits using proper English even though it's acceptable to use a "z" in realize.
  • Like 2

Lol @ brits using proper English even though it's acceptable to use a "z" in realize.

LOL @ Tman for not knowing how to use capitalisation.

Weird when people from Britain use British spellings even though they came first, isn't it?

• Like 1

Weird when people from Britain use British spellings even though they came first, isn't it?

not weird at all. Just lol @

LOL @ Tman for not knowing how to use capitalisation.

Git ahta' heer ye feelthy Irish :P
  • Like 1

Seriously? It's fantastic!

#REKT

• Like 1

Technically, American English spellings derived from British English spellings of the mid-to-late 18th century. So there you have it.

• Like 3

not weird at all. Just lol @

that sounds more like the woman from Pirates of the Carribean
  • Like 2

Lol people using @ when typing a forum post.

Plus if you tolerate the use of the letter "z" in realise, your zhildren will be next :runaround:

redundant is seriously underrated

By whom is that masteriously composed symphony-like work of elegance underrated :o the chorus is a completely delightful piece of melodically splendid music.

I luv it.

• Like 1

• lizziebix featured this topic