Did Green Day Change The World?

xxPistolxx

Hey everyone. So in english class this term, we have to choose someone who has changed the world, and talk about him/her. Someone like Nelson Mandela or Gandhi or whatever. But i want to choose Billie, or Green Day in whole, and i want to know your opinions about this subject.

Do you think Green Day contributed in changing the world? If so, how? and why?

Less personal, more informative please.

So yea, and i hope you guys like this topic. If not, mods can do whatever they want.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone. So in english class this term, we have to choose someone who has changed the world, and talk about him/her. Someone like Nelson Mandela or Gandhi or whatever. But i want to choose Billie, or Green Day in whole, and i want to know your opinions about this subject.

Do you think Green Day contributed in changing the world? If so, how? and why?

Less personal, more informative please.

So yea, and i hope you guys like this topic. If not, mods can do whatever they want.

Like Nelson Mandela, no of course not. I feel like that is the kind of essay you can do more personally, how Green Day has changed the world for you. They rewrote punk and really put punk on the mainstream, don't forget broadway.

No one can change the whole world!

You can change just little things!! And GD did change a lot of little things! :P

No, they definitely didn't change the world, but quite frankly, neither did people like Gandhi or Mandela. No one person can change the entire world, they can change parts of it, and inspire others. And if you think that Green Day did that (I do) then yeah, go for it. Green Day has done a lot to change the face of punk music and inspired a lot of different things in the music industry and out (American Idiot post 9/11, that's a huge thing right there) so I think it's a great choice. And I bet no one else in your class is gonna write about them, either. :)

Well, some musicians arguably have. Think about the historical significance of The Beatles, for example. As for Green Day, I suppose whether or not that's something you can write is really going to depend on how well you can make your point. You could talk about Green Day being one of the most well-known and influential bands in the era of protest music against George W. Bush and the Iraq War. I don't think that era of music is nearly as significant as Vietnam War time, but I think it'll be historically remembered.

If you want to write an essay in a three-point style (which I hate personally because it's so goddamn generic and boring, but high school teachers will always give you an A for one that's well done), try to structure it like this: Talk briefly about Green Day's early history. Mention "Dookie" as helping shape the trend of 90's pop-punk but don't spend a lot of time on it. Talk about the success of American Idiot in 2004, transition into the whole protest music theme. The lyrics of American Idiot and Holiday, the WMUWSE video, the Bullet in a Bible show. Throw in a few quotes, like when Billie introduced Holiday on stage with "this song is not anti-American, this song is anti-war!" Give a shout out to a few other artists who were part of this trend (like Eminem with his song "Mosh"). Then the third and last part can be about how unique and innovative the American Idiot broadway show was. Its success as a sung-through musical and all.

Be creative. Try to relate it to your generation. There are literally dozens of lyrics you could just pull out of the top of your head, "class of '13", "steady diet of soda pop and Ritalin", say that Green Day relates to how a lot of kids your age feel lost and without a place or identity. Sum it up with that.

It's doable.

They changed the world as much as Pippi Langstrumpf, my dog Lord Nelson or the man in the moon in my opinion. I wouldn´t even dare to name them along with great names such as Gandhi or Nelson Mandela...

They changed the world as much as Pippi Langstrumpf, my dog Lord Nelson or the man in the moon in my opinion. I wouldn´t even dare to name them along with great names such as Gandhi or Nelson Mandela...

They do change people's personal worlds though.

They do change people's personal worlds though.

I didn´t deny that. This is likely and possible. And more than enough for a rock band. But I see a totally different quality in Mandela, Gandhi or Mother Teresa. There´s more about them then just music... they influenced people and, yes, the world, by living grace, humility, reconsiliation and wisdom. GD is much too much ego, though fun... ;)

Green Day changed my life, undoubtedly. It's thanks to them that I really got into music in the first place, and they inspired me to pick up guitar and bass for the first time, which has had a pretty massive impact on my life. That said, another band would have probably come along and done the same thing if they hadn't. American Idiot was arguably the biggest album of my generation, at least in this country, (and I don't say that lightly or with any bias), and obviously it helped encourage other musicians to speak out against the government after 9/11. I'd argue the album may have got a lot of people more into political issues and older punk bands, which may have some kind of effect somewhere down the line, but change the world? No.

Green Day changed the community of the world. In the sense of creating floods of douches who are all about 'green day sold out! they're not true punks!'.

They've had a positive impact. Not by doing anything huge, but by affecting so many people in so many different, personal ways. There's loads of people who'll tell you the band saved their lives and some of them do mean it, it's just a shame that phrase is overused now so it's seen as fake or whatever. Even if you don't agree with that concept, they've still got a lot of people through, inspired them, helped them change for the better and brought them together in a pretty unique way - most fan communities aren't even close to theirs. Some would argue that lots of musicians have done those things, but I think Green Day more so than a lot of others.

They didn't changed the world but they chanced and influenced the muisc industry!

And I'm pretty sure that they changed our lives.

They didn't changed the world but they chanced and influenced the muisc industry!

And I'm pretty sure that they changed our lives.

How have they changed the music industry?

Influenced a music genre to the industry yes

Changed the industry no band has done that...

They haven't changed the world, but you could say that they've influenced modern punk and alternative music. They were one of the first punk bands to break into the mainstream, and they're not ashamed of it. And even after signing with Reprise, they still continue to make music that is true to them.

So many people who have changed the world and you pick GD :D Atleast pick Justing Bieber. That brat changed everyone's life.

So many people who have changed the world and you pick GD :D Atleast pick Justing Bieber. That brat changed everyone's life.

You definitely changed some lives when you came here, but I'm not sure if that was for the positive. :P

How have they changed the music industry?

Influenced a music genre to the industry yes

Changed the industry no band has done that...

Billie's rewritten punk a few times.

Archived