Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Did Green Day Change The World?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

xxPistolxx

xxPistolxx
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Joined Jul 03, 2013
  • 42 rep

Hey everyone. So in english class this term, we have to choose someone who has changed the world, and talk about him/her. Someone like Nelson Mandela or Gandhi or whatever. But i want to choose Billie, or Green Day in whole, and i want to know your opinions about this subject.

Do you think Green Day contributed in changing the world? If so, how? and why? 

Less personal, more informative please. 

So yea, and i hope you guys like this topic. If not, mods can do whatever they want. 

Edited by xxPistolxx, 17 February 2014 - 12:10 PM.

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Peacemaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,572 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 840 rep
Changed the world? Like Ghandi or Mandela? Haha no...

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Always You, Never A Replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,749 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 10,151 rep

Hey everyone. So in english class this term, we have to choose someone who has changed the world, and talk about him/her. Someone like Nelson Mandela or Gandhi or whatever. But i want to choose Billie, or Green Day in whole, and i want to know your opinions about this subject.

How do YOU think Green Day has changed the world?

beejeezee

beejeezee
  • Billie Joe's Bitch

• 12,643 posts
  • Joined Nov 29, 2010
  • 4,858 rep

Less personal, more informative please. 

So yea, and i hope you guys like this topic. If not, mods can do whatever they want. 

Like Nelson Mandela, no of course not. I feel like that is the kind of essay you can do more personally, how Green Day has changed the world for you. They rewrote punk and really put punk on the mainstream, don't forget broadway.

StiffLittleFinger

StiffLittleFinger
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • Joined Oct 15, 2012
  • 254 rep

No one can change the whole world!

You can change just little things!! And GD did change a lot of little things! :P

• Penguin Puffball likes this

Certified Nimrod

Certified Nimrod
  • The Real Adam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,305 posts
  • Joined Jan 26, 2013
  • 1,624 rep

They changed me.

• beejeezee, xXRustyJamesXx and Oxymore like this

fromdecimateddreams

fromdecimateddreams
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Joined Apr 09, 2013
  • 739 rep

POPULAR

No, they definitely didn't change the world, but quite frankly, neither did people like Gandhi or Mandela. No one person can change the entire world, they can change parts of it, and inspire others. And if you think that Green Day did that (I do) then yeah, go for it. Green Day has done a lot to change the face of punk music and inspired a lot of different things in the music industry and out (American Idiot post 9/11, that's a huge thing right there) so I think it's a great choice. And I bet no one else in your class is gonna write about them, either. :)

• Trotsky, Hermione, Penguin Puffball and 7 others like this

alien97

alien97
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 138 rep
A few people think that they said what everyone was thinking in the early 2000s

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,177 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,184 rep

POPULAR

Well, some musicians arguably have. Think about the historical significance of The Beatles, for example. As for Green Day, I suppose whether or not that's something you can write is really going to depend on how well you can make your point. You could talk about Green Day being one of the most well-known and influential bands in the era of protest music against George W. Bush and the Iraq War. I don't think that era of music is nearly as significant as Vietnam War time, but I think it'll be historically remembered. 

If you want to write an essay in a three-point style (which I hate personally because it's so goddamn generic and boring, but high school teachers will always give you an A for one that's well done), try to structure it like this: Talk briefly about Green Day's early history. Mention "Dookie" as helping shape the trend of 90's pop-punk but don't spend a lot of time on it. Talk about the success of American Idiot in 2004, transition into the whole protest music theme. The lyrics of American Idiot and Holiday, the WMUWSE video, the Bullet in a Bible show. Throw in a few quotes, like when Billie introduced Holiday on stage with "this song is not anti-American, this song is anti-war!" Give a shout out to a few other artists who were part of this trend (like Eminem with his song "Mosh"). Then the third and last part can be about how unique and innovative the American Idiot broadway show was. Its success as a sung-through musical and all. 

Be creative. Try to relate it to your generation. There are literally dozens of lyrics you could just pull out of the top of your head, "class of '13", "steady diet of soda pop and Ritalin", say that Green Day relates to how a lot of kids your age feel lost and without a place or identity. Sum it up with that. 

It's doable. 

• Hermione, sara_gd, WhiteTim and 6 others like this

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy
  • British Idiot.

• 15,226 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 2,641 rep
They haven't even changed music, let alone the world.
  • Mykee Mexx likes this

beejeezee

beejeezee
  • Billie Joe's Bitch

• 12,643 posts
  • Joined Nov 29, 2010
  • 4,858 rep

They haven't even changed music, let alone the world.

I find this point arguable.

!

!
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Joined Aug 03, 2012
  • 379 rep

no

Mykee Mexx

Mykee Mexx
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Joined Nov 12, 2012
  • 530 rep

They changed the world as much as Pippi Langstrumpf, my dog Lord Nelson or the man in the moon in my opinion. I wouldn´t even dare to name them along with great names such as Gandhi or Nelson Mandela...

• The Disappearing Boy likes this

beejeezee

beejeezee
  • Billie Joe's Bitch

• 12,643 posts
  • Joined Nov 29, 2010
  • 4,858 rep

They changed the world as much as Pippi Langstrumpf, my dog Lord Nelson or the man in the moon in my opinion. I wouldn´t even dare to name them along with great names such as Gandhi or Nelson Mandela...

They do change people's personal worlds though.

• Occam's Chainsaw, nothing_wrong_with_me and fromdecimateddreams like this

Mykee Mexx

Mykee Mexx
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Joined Nov 12, 2012
  • 530 rep

They do change people's personal worlds though.

I didn´t deny that. This is likely and possible. And more than enough for a rock band. But I see a totally different quality in Mandela, Gandhi or Mother Teresa. There´s more about them then just music... they influenced people and, yes, the world, by living grace, humility, reconsiliation and wisdom. GD is much too much ego, though fun... ;)

Advertising

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • e.g. watermelon

• 11,689 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 11,613 rep

Green Day changed my life, undoubtedly. It's thanks to them that I really got into music in the first place, and they inspired me to pick up guitar and bass for the first time, which has had a pretty massive impact on my life. That said, another band would have probably come along and done the same thing if they hadn't. American Idiot was arguably the biggest album of my generation, at least in this country, (and I don't say that lightly or with any bias), and obviously it helped encourage other musicians to speak out against the government after 9/11. I'd argue the album may have got a lot of people more into political issues and older punk bands, which may have some kind of effect somewhere down the line, but change the world? No.

• WhiteTim, Darth Praxus, Certified Nimrod and 1 other like this

armatage

armatage
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Joined Jul 08, 2009
  • 347 rep

Green Day changed the community of the world. In the sense of creating floods of douches who are all about 'green day sold out! they're not true punks!'.

• The Disappearing Boy, Darth Praxus and Not Anyone. like this

Maria Gloria

Maria Gloria
  • If it's over, does that mean I can have Crouchy?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,361 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2010
  • 5,573 rep

They've had a positive impact. Not by doing anything huge, but by affecting so many people in so many different, personal ways. There's loads of people who'll tell you the band saved their lives and some of them do mean it, it's just a shame that phrase is overused now so it's seen as fake or whatever. Even if you don't agree with that concept, they've still got a lot of people through, inspired them, helped them change for the better and brought them together in a pretty unique way - most fan communities aren't even close to theirs. Some would argue that lots of musicians have done those things, but I think Green Day more so than a lot of others.

• Certified Nimrod likes this

Bastard of 1969

Bastard of 1969
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2012
  • 783 rep
  • Location:In the Her Great Majesty of Florence's kitchen, making Her dinner.
They changed many people's personalities, I consider that big.
  • Jimmy McNulty and Oxymore like this

xXRustyJamesXx

xXRustyJamesXx
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Joined Dec 23, 2012
  • 111 rep

They didn't changed the world but they chanced and influenced the muisc industry!

And I'm pretty sure that they changed our lives.

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Peacemaker

• 5,572 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 840 rep

They didn't changed the world but they chanced and influenced the muisc industry!
And I'm pretty sure that they changed our lives.

How have they changed the music industry?

Influenced a music genre to the industry yes

Changed the industry no band has done that...

jake7722

jake7722
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Joined Feb 03, 2013
  • 445 rep

They haven't changed the world, but you could say that they've influenced modern punk and alternative music. They were one of the first punk bands to break into the mainstream, and they're not ashamed of it. And even after signing with Reprise, they still continue to make music that is true to them.

Steven Seagull

Steven Seagull
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts
  • Joined Dec 02, 2012
  • 1,262 rep

So many people who have changed the world and you pick GD :D Atleast pick Justing Bieber. That brat changed everyone's life.

Alan86

Alan86
  • It's Ok, Im a Limo Driver

• 4,862 posts
  • Joined Nov 16, 2005
  • 1,940 rep

Nope

Darth Praxus

Darth Praxus
  • Blasphemy Chickenstrips

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts
  • Joined Sep 27, 2012
  • 2,891 rep

So many people who have changed the world and you pick GD :D Atleast pick Justing Bieber. That brat changed everyone's life.

You definitely changed some lives when you came here, but I'm not sure if that was for the positive. :P

• Penguin Puffball and Not Anyone. like this

beejeezee

beejeezee
  • Billie Joe's Bitch

• 12,643 posts
  • Joined Nov 29, 2010
  • 4,858 rep

How have they changed the music industry?

Influenced a music genre to the industry yes

Changed the industry no band has done that...

Billie's rewritten punk a few times.

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Peacemaker

• 5,572 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 840 rep

Billie's rewritten punk a few times.

Yes but they have not changed the music industry or how it operates... no band has

Tell me what format did GD force the music industry to switch to?

Tell me how GD signing to Reprise made labels differate on how they signed other bands?

They've influenced a genre of music to be more popular within the industry (which can be debated at that) but they havent made an entire industry change at all
  • Not Anyone. likes this

beejeezee

beejeezee
  • Billie Joe's Bitch

• 12,643 posts
  • Joined Nov 29, 2010
  • 4,858 rep

Yes but they have not changed the music industry or how it operates... no band has

Tell me what format did GD force the music industry to switch to?

Tell me how GD signing to Reprise made labels differate on how they signed other bands?

They've influenced a genre of music to be more popular within the industry (which can be debated at that) but they havent made an entire industry change at all

They've certainly changed how people view punk music. Billie put it in the mainstream with Dookie, and again with American Idiot.

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Peacemaker

• 5,572 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 840 rep

They've certainly changed how people view punk music. Billie put it in the mainstream with Dookie, and again with American Idiot.

Debatable some call Nirvana a punk band hell they stared in a 1992 movie called 1991 The Year Punk Broke... if Nirvana can be considered punk (as they are not grunge...) then Nevermind would be the break out (as Dookie nor AI has out sold Nevermind)

But they still didnt change the music industry...

beejeezee

beejeezee
  • Billie Joe's Bitch

• 12,643 posts
  • Joined Nov 29, 2010
  • 4,858 rep

Debatable some call Nirvana a punk band hell they stared in a 1992 movie called 1991 The Year Punk Broke... if Nirvana can be considered punk (as they are not grunge...) then Nevermind would be the break out (as Dookie nor AI has out sold Nevermind)

But they still didnt change the music industry...

I'd consider Nirvana more grunge than punk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users