Random Musician Thoughts

Spike

I thought it'd make sense to have a thread for any random thoughts to do with being a musician/lyricist that you might have and would like to share.

I was just thinking last night that I really have no idea who my musical influences are. Obviously I know which artists and musicians I love, but when I listen back to my songs hardly any influences spring to mind. There are individual bits like a couple of my backing vocal arrangements being influenced by Fleetwood Mac and some choruses reminding me of Evanescence, but overall I really don't know. Does anyone else get this?

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it'd make sense to have a thread for any random thoughts to do with being a musician/lyricist that you might have and would like to share.

I was just thinking last night that I really have no idea who my musical influences are. Obviously I know which artists and musicians I love, but when I listen back to my songs hardly any influences spring to mind. There are individual bits like a couple of my backing vocal arrangements being influenced by Fleetwood Mac and some choruses reminding me of Evanescence, but overall I really don't know. Does anyone else get this?

I've always had a broad idea of who the musicians who influence me are. My sound comes from bands like Green Day, Joan Jett, The Ramones, Operation Ivy, etc. There are a few songs I write where I'm like, "Woah, where did this come from?" because the sound I have for it doesn't sound like any of the bands I listen to or would classify as an influence. But yeah, for the most part I have a vague idea of what particular type of music or particular bands influence me to write the way I do.

I have a good idea on who my influences are. I listen to a lot of the songs I write and think "this sounds a hell of a lot like Nirvana" or whatever. I have too many influences to name right now though. 

Left handed guitars are WAY too hard to source. :mad:

I read in a book once that when listing your influences, you should list your influences' influences. (Eg, instead of Green Day, you should say The Who, The Beatles, The Clash). Wasn't serious advice but it has always stuck with me for some reason...

Are you a lefty guitarist? I know people who play right handed guitars upside down because of how much more expensive left handed versions are. The guitarists in my old band both had identical Taylor acoustics, but one was a righty and the other lefty. One paid £1300 and the other £2000, from the same shop. Crazy.

Ah, that's interesting. That said, I really don't like The Who or The Beatles so it's probably not a route I'm gonna go down :P

That's ridiculous. :mellow: I've skirted around the problem in the past by finding mid-range guitars to buy, but this time I'll have to get it custom made because they don't even manufacture the one I want in left handed. Doesn't look like I'll be getting one of those any time soon. :(

That's a shame :( What is it you're after?

Ovation standard elite, looks like this:

6778lx.jpg

:cry:

Oh my word. I guess the scale length could make it difficult to just reverse the order of the strings, too. I hope you get one someday!

Ordered a Marshall DSL40C last week. Excited to have a working amp for the first time in 2 years

I don't really know who my influences are, either. I don't do a whole lot of song writing because I kinda suck at it, but I guess I do tend to lean towards certain artists when I want to learn a different style or sound.

And on another note, being a sax player in the dead of winter in New York totally sucks because I've literally lost a reed a day to getting warped cause of the weird temperatures and pressures in the band room and my apartment. Thanks, winter.

Ordered a Marshall DSL40C last week. Excited to have a working amp for the first time in 2 years

Sweet, I never knew you were one of the musicianfolk.

Other influences of mine include Bad Brains, Dead Kennedys, Crimpshrine, Screeching Weasel, Suicidal Tendencies, The Misfits, The Clash, The Ramones, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Pinhead Gunpowder, Poison Idea and various other punk/alternative bands that played a little part in influence. Not that anybody cares, just thought I'd throw it out there.

I have a pretty good idea of what my band's influences are. Mostly Dinosaur Pile-Up, Pulled Apart By Horses, Turbowolf, Hawk Eyes, Max Raptor, TigerCub, and stuff like that. Mostly grungy/punkish stuff.

Oh goodness, I'm inspired by GD, Blink, Ev, other smaller bands, paramore, 90s cheesy music..... I like covering music, don't record though, since i suck at singing.... i like to throw a jam session in my room

I like covering music, don't record though, since i suck at singing.... i like to throw a jam session in my room

me exactly :lol: there's so many things I want to do covers of and record or something but my singing voice is just ew.

So room jam sesh is is, usually.

me exactly :lol: there's so many things I want to do covers of and record or something but my singing voice is just ew.

So room jam sesh is is, usually.

and you can avoid the trouble of being judged (unless you're too loud)

but you don't have to worry about other people going deaf.

Sweet, I never knew you were one of the musicianfolk.

Darryl is a musical genius with a beautiful pedalboard.

Someday when you least expect it.....

write a song about me pls

It's true, I've got probably $2,000 invested in my pedals alone.

I really want to hear you play.

I really want to hear you play.

I will upload some guitar covers someday. Still playing around with my new amp, swapped out the stock Celestion speaker for a Scumback

I will upload some guitar covers someday. Still playing around with my new amp, swapped out the stock Celestion speaker for a Scumback

Why would you even... :cry:

Seriously though, how does the Scumback sound?

Why would you even... :cry:

Seriously though, how does the Scumback sound?

Stock celestions are always garbage in my experience. The one that was in my amp is a seventy 80. 80 watt speaker seems a little odd for a 40 watt amp. Don't know if I can get any money for the speaker

Scumback makes the best "British" speakers IMO. I had a couple H55s in a 2x12 and took one of those out to swap the celestion with. It's a really bassy sound but I love it. Basically the same speakers Hendrix used at Woodstock

I was watching some violin covers of songs and it makes me kinda sad that I stopped playing violin like 4 years ago. I'd love to start up again but my college doesn't have an orchestra and fuck if I would know where to look for one.

• Fuzz unpinned this topic

Archived