Donation to help with costs Read more... ×
The Grouch is Tracy

Over 30 and still crazy for Green Day

The Insider

My daughter came across a photo on my phone of Mike & asked who it was and I said Mike DOS (I mean dirnt) - did it really matter that I corrected myself.

Anyways I started at work part time this week 3 days a week YAY - hasn't lasted long cause a friend wants me to temp for 2 days next week :(

Iva

I'm freelancing...so, that allows me to lazy around like I'm doing right now...and then get batshit crazy when I realise I'm running out of money. XD

• Like 1

The Grouch is Tracy

So I have a job interview at a vet clinic on Thursday.

I am having such a difficult time deciding what to do..... I am a vet tech, but since I quit last spring, my stress levels about work have gone way down.

Working at the card store is virtually stress-free, it is right across the street from my daughter's school, and it is close enough to our housethat I can walk when the weather is nice. Also, I am only working about 30 hours per week as opposed to the 50 hours a week running the clinic. My family says they are happy to have me happy, and I enjoy having a better balance in my life.

But.... After 6 months at the store, and now having been given extra responsibilities as "unofficial assistant manager", I am still making minimum wage, and I have been told not to expect anything above this "for the foreseeable future".

My boss is a new manager, and she has been very lovely trying to ensure that I get some consecutive days off, some weekends off, etc, and often tells me how happy she is for my help.

Working back at a vet clinic would increase my stress level again, but would decrease my financial stress, especially since I have honestly been struggling a little bit to cover bills, and feed /care for all my pets too!

Husband says he supports me in whatever I decide. Daughter thinks I am silly for worrying when I haven't even been to the interview yet!

I think that when I have the interview, I will just have yo be very honest and up front about the amount of hours and level of responsibility that I am willing to take on.

Sigh.....

I guess I will follow my own advice and see how it goes.

lizziebix

You are most correct in your advice to yourself. Go to the interview and be honest with them and then with yourself about what you want. If the hours don't work, if it even sounds remotely stressful, if they won't be flexible, etc. etc. Money doesn't buy happiness. Yes, it pays the bills (and takes the stress off that part of our life) but one of the things I decided a long time ago was that I wanted a job (for me a M-F 9-5) so I could have a 5-9 life. I wanted life. I didn't want my job to dictate what I could and coudn't do with MY life.

Good luck at the interview. And remember, you are in control of your decision for what is best for you, your family and your life.

:hug:

• Like 2

The Grouch is Tracy

You are most correct in your advice to yourself. Go to the interview and be honest with them and then with yourself about what you want. If the hours don't work, if it even sounds remotely stressful, if they won't be flexible, etc. etc. Money doesn't buy happiness. Yes, it pays the bills (and takes the stress off that part of our life) but one of the things I decided a long time ago was that I wanted a job (for me a M-F 9-5) so I could have a 5-9 life. I wanted life. I didn't want my job to dictate what I could and coudn't do with MY life.

Good luck at the interview. And remember, you are in control of your decision for what is best for you, your family and your life.

:hug:

Thanks for your wisdom and support, and good for you!

The Grouch is Tracy

Arrrggghhhhh......so stressed out .... I don't know what to do...... Stupid life, stupid money.

The Insider

Arrrggghhhhh......so stressed out .... I don't know what to do...... Stupid life, stupid money.

So your interview is today - don't stress over it - decisions like this seem to work themselves out.

Oh & good luck :)

• Like 1

The Grouch is Tracy

Thank you! It went really well....now is decision time....

• Like 1

localinsomniac

Thank you! It went really well....now is decision time....

I'm a little bit late on this but... Never take a job just because it's more money. I made that mistake about a year ago, and am still paying for it.

If you get an offer and you feel like it would be a good fit, AND the money is right, then definitely go for it! A little stress here and there isn't such a bad thing, as long as you're not being overworked and undercompensated. Stress at work you can leave at work!

Good luck!

• Like 1

lizziebix

So Mike, how's the weather in Boston? Hear it's a bit snowy and windy. :)

The Grouch is Tracy

Thanks guys! I am going to take the new job. The clinic and vets have a very good reputation, almost all of the other employees are long-term, and as well as paying almost (really! ) twice the wage, I wouldn't be working any Saturday afternoons , or Sundays. I would not be managing or running anything but the front desk. nothing ventured, nothing gained!

• Like 3

localinsomniac

So Mike, how's the weather in Boston? Hear it's a bit snowy and windy. :)

Windy, yes. That's all I can remember of the weather from my trip to Chicago though. :lol: I think we're (nearly) at the end of the snow blitz for this season. Sunny and mild today!

Thanks guys! I am going to take the new job. The clinic and vets have a very good reputation, almost all of the other employees are long-term, and as well as paying almost (really! ) twice the wage, I wouldn't be working any Saturday afternoons , or Sundays. I would not be managing or running anything but the front desk. nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Congratulations!

• Like 1

Snows

Congrats! I hope you will feel good there. :)

• Like 1

lizziebix

Congrats. Sounds like you've made a great decision for yourself and your family.

Keep us posted on how it goes. :)

• Like 1

The Insider

Whoo hooo - great news - I knew it would work out for you :)

• Like 1

norcalgreendayfan

Being over 30 is so hard at times and I just am so unprepared for it all

The Grouch is Tracy

Yep.

Snows

Same here, it's so shitty. I feel like a teenager sometimes, but it's like it's forbidden behavior for us? I can't control my feelings, it's not fair.

The Grouch is Tracy

So.... This is the latest I've been up in weeks! I am really enjoying the longer days and warmer weather though. Lots of garden raking and cleaning up a whole winter's worth of dog poop!

I am pissed off at having to pay $1.38 a litre for gas though, that just sucks. It always seems to be around a holiday (like Easter) that the prices go up.

Anyways, enjoy your weekend guys.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

The Insider

Yep petrol does go up at holiday periods - they say not - "no it is just the cycle" - but it does. We had a quiet easter - ate out with friends & finished painting the inside of the house - thank god that's over.

"Grouch" how is the job going?

The Grouch is Tracy

Yep petrol does go up at holiday periods - they say not - "no it is just the cycle" - but it does. We had a quiet easter - ate out with friends & finished painting the inside of the house - thank god that's over.

"Grouch" how is the job going?

Going ok...thanks! We are going to my mom & dad's tomorrow for late Easter. It just became too difficult for everyone to get together last week.

I'm thankful that we are not painting... It looks so nice when you are finished, but tough to get through sometimes. I always think it will be so easy, but then there's trim and edging , and I get bored after 7-8 hours or so.

I'm Tracy by the way... Not always grouchy, just mostly!

The Insider

haha Tracy - yes it does look nice now that it is finished - it is really just the start though - we have done the floors & painting but we have to do bathrooms & kitchen - the house needed renovating 8 years ago when we bought it - so it is well & truly time.

Enjoy your time with your parents.

When is mother's day celebrated in Canada - here in Australia it is in a few weeks.

I am Nicky btw. :)

The Grouch is Tracy

haha Tracy - yes it does look nice now that it is finished - it is really just the start though - we have done the floors & painting but we have to do bathrooms & kitchen - the house needed renovating 8 years ago when we bought it - so it is well & truly time.

Enjoy your time with your parents.

When is mother's day celebrated in Canada - here in Australia it is in a few weeks.

I am Nicky btw. :)

Hi Nicky! We celebrate Mothers Day in May too.... The 11th I think. Last summer when I was jobless, I painted our kitchen, dining room, bathroom, and mud room, and tiled and grouted the bathroom and kitchen floors and backsplashes. Our house is pretty old, and I guess that's how I felt I was still contributing to the family. I felt really good when it was all done, but we could probably redo the rest of the house still....

lizziebix

Hi Nicky! We celebrate Mothers Day in May too.... The 11th I think. Last summer when I was jobless, I painted our kitchen, dining room, bathroom, and mud room, and tiled and grouted the bathroom and kitchen floors and backsplashes. Our house is pretty old, and I guess that's how I felt I was still contributing to the family. I felt really good when it was all done, but we could probably redo the rest of the house still....

Holy cow! Listen, if your current job doesn't work out, I have an old house that needs to be painted and a few other projects that need attention. You can just move into the spare bedroom for the duration. ;lol:

The Insider

What's a mud room?