Drums

Sappy

Clarksville. For now :P i plan on moving to nashville soonish.

Oh man, that's awesome. I'm from Knoxville and as far as I know, I've been the only active member on here who's from Tennessee for...years. :lol:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh man, that's awesome. I'm from Knoxville and as far as I know, I've been the only active member on here who's from Tennessee for...years. :lol:

Well we can be TN buddies :P

• 1 month later...

Hell yeah, new drumheads. I reskinned the snares too, but only after taking this picture. Especially the bassdrum sounds killer now, the old head was almost 6 years old :D

DXmf74A.jpg

• 1 month later...

That sounds awesome! You must have a pretty decent knowledge of rudiments I guess? My repartoire is limited to Paradiddles and six stroke rolls atm. (Working on it though)

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have suggestions for or know where I can find information on a good, less expensive electric drum kit? I moved into an apartment almost two years ago now and I had to give up drumming since it would be too loud (obviously) but I'm really, really missing it and it looks like nothing's going to happen with my band for a while, which means I'll basically never get to play. I figure an electric kit turned down low or with headphones, if they can do that, would be a good solution. Plus, when I move out, it means I have an electric kit and an acoustic kit, which would be pretty cool just for messing around and different sounds and all that.

I know they can be super expensive but I'm desperate. I miss playing so much. :( It doesn't have to be the best electric kit out there. I honestly just want one from a decent brand that isn't a piece of shit that'll fall apart on me.

Going to re-setup my old drumkit, turn my Dad's old office into a jam room, cause its already soundproofed! Gives me a chance to actually teach myself drums now :P

Does anyone have suggestions for or know where I can find information on a good, less expensive electric drum kit? I moved into an apartment almost two years ago now and I had to give up drumming since it would be too loud (obviously) but I'm really, really missing it and it looks like nothing's going to happen with my band for a while, which means I'll basically never get to play. I figure an electric kit turned down low or with headphones, if they can do that, would be a good solution. Plus, when I move out, it means I have an electric kit and an acoustic kit, which would be pretty cool just for messing around and different sounds and all that.

I know they can be super expensive but I'm desperate. I miss playing so much. :( It doesn't have to be the best electric kit out there. I honestly just want one from a decent brand that isn't a piece of shit that'll fall apart on me.

What's the budget?

there's a cheap brand called Millenium. All the kits are less than 300 euros. I have cymbal stands from them and they are pretty good despite only costing me 80 euro. If the quality is the same as the stands, should be find.

Other option is look around the classifieds, get a second hand kit?

I found a kit for $300 and another one by the same brand for $400. Read the reviews and everyone seems to really like it except one guy who's mad because it won't recognize double bass pedals (which doesn't matter to me at all because I hate playing double bass). I think I'll talk to my mom and see what she says 'cause I'll have to figure out where to put it and then I'll start saving up 'cause it looks like a pretty good deal.

One thing to keep in mind is that while an electric kit obviously is a lot quieter than an acoustic one, it still does make some noise. The biggest issue are the pedals. For the people below it's like someone stomping and jumping around for an hour straight. Take that into consideration!

Still, you can make an arrangement with your neighbours of course, I did so with an acoustic kit for three years.

Another thing you could do is to play in the basement (if you have one).

Last but not least, you can build sort of an absorber: It's quite a bit of work, so I would only do this as a last resort if everything else fails. You basically need heavy boards of wood you cut to the area the kit is going to stand on. Connect a few to get a thickness of maybe 2 inches. It should weigh quite a bit by now, probably closer to 100 lbs than 50. On the bottom you need to absorb vibrations. Some kind of rubber is needed. I've seen tennis balls cut in half and just glued to the boards used, those seem pretty effective.

As far as an actual electric kit is concerned: Just try them out. Everybody expexts different things from n electric kit. I'd put the priority on having a responsive hihat, a kick drum that is controlled by a pad and an actual pedal, and a meshhead for the snare at least. I never really got into electris stuff though, so I can only say go try out a few at the nearest guitar center or music store in your area if that's possible for you.

I found a kit for $300 and another one by the same brand for $400. Read the reviews and everyone seems to really like it except one guy who's mad because it won't recognize double bass pedals (which doesn't matter to me at all because I hate playing double bass). I think I'll talk to my mom and see what she says 'cause I'll have to figure out where to put it and then I'll start saving up 'cause it looks like a pretty good deal.

Saw this on FB

252F50C8-CC71-4467-B2C2-D9E7FDE6F66C.png

One thing to keep in mind is that while an electric kit obviously is a lot quieter than an acoustic one, it still does make some noise. The biggest issue are the pedals. For the people below it's like someone stomping and jumping around for an hour straight. Take that into consideration!

Still, you can make an arrangement with your neighbours of course, I did so with an acoustic kit for three years.

Another thing you could do is to play in the basement (if you have one).

Last but not least, you can build sort of an absorber: It's quite a bit of work, so I would only do this as a last resort if everything else fails. You basically need heavy boards of wood you cut to the area the kit is going to stand on. Connect a few to get a thickness of maybe 2 inches. It should weigh quite a bit by now, probably closer to 100 lbs than 50. On the bottom you need to absorb vibrations. Some kind of rubber is needed. I've seen tennis balls cut in half and just glued to the boards used, those seem pretty effective.

As far as an actual electric kit is concerned: Just try them out. Everybody expexts different things from n electric kit. I'd put the priority on having a responsive hihat, a kick drum that is controlled by a pad and an actual pedal, and a meshhead for the snare at least. I never really got into electris stuff though, so I can only say go try out a few at the nearest guitar center or music store in your area if that's possible for you.

I'm on the bottom floor so I don't think noise from the pedals will be a problem! Plus, my next door neighbor is also a musician and will literally be awake at 3 am recording something with his electric guitar, so he can't say shit to me. :P The apartment above ours is vacant right now, but even if it wasn't, I'd only play during the day so I don't think it'll be a huge problem.

I'm a little worried about space though. I can't find any dimensions on the one I want to buy. It has information on the size of the pads but not on the actual rack itself. I think I'll be able to fit it in my room if I rearrange things but I'm not quite sure how much space I'll need.

• 3 months later...

Hey everyone!

Been playing guitar for a few years and as well of dreaming of playing the guitar I've always dreamed of playing the drums, always air drumming to GD or Nirvana or whoever. 

I read somewhere Dave Grohl first learnt to play drums with pillows at different night and a pair of sticks and was wondering if I could do the same, as my parents aren't keen in buying an electric kit as I already play guitar and don't want to spend any more money on instruments.

Would the above method be a good way to start to learn drums until I can buy/persuade my parents to buy a kit?

Hey everyone!

Been playing guitar for a few years and as well of dreaming of playing the guitar I've always dreamed of playing the drums, always air drumming to GD or Nirvana or whoever. 

I read somewhere Dave Grohl first learnt to play drums with pillows at different night and a pair of sticks and was wondering if I could do the same, as my parents aren't keen in buying an electric kit as I already play guitar and don't want to spend any more money on instruments.

Would the above method be a good way to start to learn drums until I can buy/persuade my parents to buy a kit?

It'll help you learn how to keep rhythm and time but as for actually helping you move around the kit, I don't think it'll be that useful.

It'll help you learn how to keep rhythm and time but as for actually helping you move around the kit, I don't think it'll be that useful.

Ah ok, so an ok short term?

• 1 year later...

I was wondering if there was a drumming thread here somewhere..

I'm a bit late to the party, I know, but are there any drummers still around here? 

7 hours ago, SamJam98 said:

I was wondering if there was a drumming thread here somewhere..

I'm a bit late to the party, I know, but are there any drummers still around here? 

I'm a drummer! I've been drumming for six years now. I also know how to play a lot of Green Day songs on the drums. 

10 hours ago, Ian1234 said:

I'm a drummer! I've been drumming for six years now. I also know how to play a lot of Green Day songs on the drums. 

That's awesome! I've been drumming nearly 9 years now, and I also know how to play a bunch of Green Day songs.

What kit do you play? 

3 hours ago, SamJam98 said:

That's awesome! I've been drumming nearly 9 years now, and I also know how to play a bunch of Green Day songs.

What kit do you play? 

I'm learning how to play JoS on the drums right now actually. I'm almost done learning it.

It's an old school kit. But I've upgraded it ever since I got it. I have two crashes, a china, a sweet ride, three tom drums, one bass drum with a foot pedal, a high hat, and a cow bell. My drum set was sorta inspired by Travis Barker's drum set actually. 

2 hours ago, Ian1234 said:

I'm learning how to play JoS on the drums right now actually. I'm almost done learning it.

It's an old school kit. But I've upgraded it ever since I got it. I have two crashes, a china, a sweet ride, three tom drums, one bass drum with a foot pedal, a high hat, and a cow bell. My drum set was sorta inspired by Travis Barker's drum set actually. 

I remember learning JoS, it took me ages, but the first time I played the entire thing was one of the best feelings ever!

Do you play much Travis Barker drumming then? 

21 minutes ago, SamJam98 said:

I remember learning JoS, it took me ages, but the first time I played the entire thing was one of the best feelings ever!

Do you play much Travis Barker drumming then? 

I actually played the whole song today. It's such a fun song to play on the drums. Yeah, I also know how to play a few Blink songs as well. 

24 minutes ago, Ian1234 said:

I also know how to play a few Blink songs as well. 

Damn, which ones? Some of their songs are almost impossible to play. 

6 hours ago, SamJam98 said:

Damn, which ones? Some of their songs are almost impossible to play. 

The songs that I know how to play are: Always, After Midnight, All the Small Things, Down, What's My Age Again?, I Miss you, Here's Your Letter. Those are some of the songs that I know how to play. 

17 hours ago, Ian1234 said:

The songs that I know how to play are: Always, After Midnight, All the Small Things, Down, What's My Age Again?, I Miss you, Here's Your Letter. Those are some of the songs that I know how to play. 

That's impressive, some of those are impossibly tricky.

Archived