Bass Guitar

Spike

who here has a mike signature squire precision like me? it's so damn beautiful.

Yep! Got it in 2007 and it's been my main bass ever since.

1006190_10151739147878689_1902030517_n.j

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ahhhh I'm officially playing bass in a band now!! This is extremely nerve-wracking and exciting. I've always thought that I'd play drums in a band since I've been playing a kit for eight years, but my friend Caleb asked me if I would play bass in the band he's putting together with my other friend, Tate, yesterday at lunch. Tate's decided to play drums instead of guitar (which is what he usually plays) so Caleb can play guitar and sing.

So basically I'm hoping I know enough about music and am good enough to not fuck things up haha. Our first practice is tomorrow.

update: I just got home from our first practice and it went really really well!! Caleb (one of the guitarists) just told me what chords he was playing so I played 'em on bass, like you do, and made up a bass line and we finished a song in like half an hour and ran through it for a while and it was a ton of fun. :happy: I'm really liking this, y'all. I might even prefer playing bass in a band to playing drums in a band.

• 3 weeks later...

I have two basses. I have the same Mike Dirnt one as above; (which I love very much and was my first) and the new black Mike Dirnt Squire. For some reason the new one plays wayyy better than my white one. The strings rattle so bad, so I changed strings, messed with the rod, and the height of the strings with no results. I have no idea what to do with it. THe pickups are a little loose and I cannot adjust them, so I think they're a little on the messed up side. I love bass though. Been playing one year and it's been a great hobby to pick up!

I have two basses. I have the same Mike Dirnt one as above; (which I love very much and was my first) and the new black Mike Dirnt Squire. For some reason the new one plays wayyy better than my white one. The strings rattle so bad, so I changed strings, messed with the rod, and the height of the strings with no results. I have no idea what to do with it. THe pickups are a little loose and I cannot adjust them, so I think they're a little on the messed up side. I love bass though. Been playing one year and it's been a great hobby to pick up!

Sounds like you got a dud really. Maybe the nut needs filing, or it could need some fretwork doing if you're sure you've done all you can with the truss rod and bridge. What gauge strings are on it?

Are there any bassists from australia who wants to be apart of a cover band on youtube? Looking for someone around the ages of 14-16 from australia. Please message me or @hammiestein.....CHEERS

So guys, im starting to build my own acoustic bass and I have a quick question for yall- which site is good for cheap hardware, like tuning pieces and bridges? not gonna make it electric or anything, and I need to get a good deal cause im broke xD

I'm really considering moving from guitar to bass... any advice/input from someone who's made the switch?

I've been playing guitar for about 2 and half years now and I'm just not feeling it. To be honest, being someone who's played piano for 8 years, I really don't like the guitar because it's too confusing. Guitar was something I wanted to play since I was 7, but now that I'm older and I know what to listen for in music, I've fallen in love with bass.

My current guitar teacher happens to also teach bass, and my birthday's coming up so it's a perfect opportunity to get one if I decide to take this seriously. I've also realized that if I want to get into a band one day I really need to move away from guitar because everyone around here plays guitar.

I also kind of already know some of the basic things about bass lines, like I already know how to walk... on the piano. :lol:

I'm really considering moving from guitar to bass... any advice/input from someone who's made the switch?

I've been playing guitar for about 2 and half years now and I'm just not feeling it. To be honest, being someone who's played piano for 8 years, I really don't like the guitar because it's too confusing. Guitar was something I wanted to play since I was 7, but now that I'm older and I know what to listen for in music, I've fallen in love with bass.

My current guitar teacher happens to also teach bass, and my birthday's coming up so it's a perfect opportunity to get one if I decide to take this seriously. I've also realized that if I want to get into a band one day I really need to move away from guitar because everyone around here plays guitar.

I also kind of already know some of the basic things about bass lines, like I already know how to walk... on the piano. :lol:

I'd say go for it! I picked up a bass without having any knowledge of how to play an instrument other than drums and I completely taught myself by watching YouTube videos and reading tabs, so I'm sure you'd do fine, especially if you've been playing guitar and can take lessons. Other than that, I really don't have any advice. :lol: I would say try to get your hands on a decent bass, though. Learning how to play an instrument on a low-quality instrument can make it a lot harder. Like, the only things I can play on guitar are basic major scale chords and bar chords and it's really just because my guitar sucks and it's hard to play it.

Moral of the story: Go for it because it's a fun instrument and the basics are pretty easy to pick up.

I'm a self taught guitarist and i'v been playing for about a year and a half now. I want to start learning bass, since its a really awesome instrument, but i'v never even touched a bass in my life before. I don't know much about basses and bass amps so here's a few questions:

-What bass is good for beginners? -has to be affordable, i'm on a tight budget-

-Is the Ampeg BA 108/110 good for Green Day/classic rock/Hard rock tunes?

-What would you recommend for an affordable, starter amp?

I'm a self taught guitarist and i'v been playing for about a year and a half now. I want to start learning bass, since its a really awesome instrument, but i'v never even touched a bass in my life before. I don't know much about basses and bass amps so here's a few questions:

-What bass is good for beginners? -has to be affordable, i'm on a tight budget-

-Is the Ampeg BA 108/110 good for Green Day/classic rock/Hard rock tunes?

-What would you recommend for an affordable, starter amp?

It depends on your budget, but you really can't go wrong with a Squier Precision or Jazz for starting out. You might even be able to afford one of Mike's signature Squiers, which obviously would be great if you're after his sound, since he uses them in the studio occasionally. Ampeg are absolutely killer amps, you really can't go wrong with them. Mike used to use Ampegs, but if you're after a good starter amp that would be good for getting Mike's sound I can't recommend the Fender Rumble series highly enough. They do 40, 100 and 200 watts, 40 would be good for practicing but if you wanna play with a band you'd need the 100 at least.

So there's a spanner in the works. I've had my heart set on the Eva Gardner Precision for a while now, the Precision pickups and the Jazz neck are really appealing, and the thing looks awesome. But then there's this. I'm seeing some Rickenbacker, Fender and MusicMan in this. It's a real frankenstein beast, but I don't know if I should take the risk.

$_58.JPG

It depends on your budget, but you really can't go wrong with a Squier Precision or Jazz for starting out. You might even be able to afford one of Mike's signature Squiers, which obviously would be great if you're after his sound, since he uses them in the studio occasionally. Ampeg are absolutely killer amps, you really can't go wrong with them. Mike used to use Ampegs, but if you're after a good starter amp that would be good for getting Mike's sound I can't recommend the Fender Rumble series highly enough. They do 40, 100 and 200 watts, 40 would be good for practicing but if you wanna play with a band you'd need the 100 at least.

So there's a spanner in the works. I've had my heart set on the Eva Gardner Precision for a while now, the Precision pickups and the Jazz neck are really appealing, and the thing looks awesome. But then there's this. I'm seeing some Rickenbacker, Fender and MusicMan in this. It's a real frankenstein beast, but I don't know if I should take the risk.

Squier Precisions are 5000 dirhams, which is too much for me. I'm gonna ask for the Vintage Modified Precision though, a guy on youtube told me it costs much less than the regular precision which i found really weird but i have to make sure.

Thanks for telling me about the Rumble series! I watched some reviews, and its really awesome! If i can afford it i'm going for it! The reason why i chose the Ampeg BA 108/110 is because both of them are less than 1000 dirhams which is really great for me, so i have to check on the Rumble 15 watt first. :D

And holy shit that bass is just :o I can't even describe it. :o

• 3 weeks later...

Ain't It Fun by Paramore is totally my new jam. I haven't learned a song that fun to play since No One Knows by QOTSA. And watching this guy playing it just makes me happy because just watch, and he's clearly Tom DeLonge.

Bpc5L2YCYAE_dCN.jpg

Ignore the snapchat text but YAY for birthday presents. My dad got a gift receipt so we can go exchange it. It's a fender Jazz something. Kinda wanna get a different color. Suggestions??

Bpc5L2YCYAE_dCN.jpg

Ignore the snapchat text but YAY for birthday presents. My dad got a gift receipt so we can go exchange it. It's a fender Jazz something. Kinda wanna get a different color. Suggestions??

If you don't want it I'll have it ;)

If you don't want it I'll have it ;)

but it's my new bby

Bpc5L2YCYAE_dCN.jpg

So beautiful <3 but i have that exact bass but in Olympic White for the body

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a Fender Aerodyne Jazz CAR -94 CiJ and a Fender Precision MiM -02 and currently in the process of building a jazzbass which will be supersexy once it's done ^^

Play it through an Aguilar AG 500SC amp and a TKS 2x12" and a Acoustic 405 4x12" Cab

Fender Aerodyne:

bild1_zps06b449f1.jpg

the work in progress:

bild2_zpsd6411c21.jpg

and amp:

DSC00547.jpg

For pedals i have:

Boss TU-2 Tuner

EHX Micro POG

PBDIST overdrive/fuzz

Boss Tremolo

Behringer Chorus

Emma Transmorgrifier compressor

I know I don't need to tell you guys this, but I've recently realised just how good slap bass is

and how good bass can be in general

I know I don't need to tell you guys this, but I've recently realised just how good slap bass is

Enjoy.

Personally I find slap great when it's a solo but in songs it's usually very grating. There's only Flea, Bootsy Collins, and more recently Jeremy Davis, who can really pull it off without it being really annoying.

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch

Personally I find slap great when it's a solo but in songs it's usually very grating. There's only Flea, Bootsy Collins, and more recently Jeremy Davis, who can really pull it off without it being really annoying.

That is basically orgasmic.

That is basically orgasmic.

Do you know Panic Station by Muse? THAT is orgasmic slap bass.

Do you know Panic Station by Muse? THAT is orgasmic slap bass.

I shall investigate later!

Archived