Bass Guitar

Spike

Also: is it normal that after only three days I am already so much more in love with playing the bass than playing the guitar (which I've done for over two years now)? :lol:

That's a damn good looking bass. Looks awesome low slung. Wish I could afford a new bass, but I can't really justify it given the fact I already have 4. I'm saving for a Fender though, all mine are "budget." Couldn't choose a better first bass than an Epiphone though, surely.

As for loving bass more than guitar, totally natural and understandable! :D

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also: is it normal that after only three days I am already so much more in love with playing the bass than playing the guitar (which I've done for over two years now)? :lol:

I've been playing both bass and guitar for around three years, and I've always enjoyed bass more, so nope, not at all. :P It just proves that bass is the superior instrument!

Definitely normal, I've played the guitar for five years and I already love the bass way more after six months. :lol: It just feels so much more badass.

That's a damn good looking bass. Looks awesome low slung. Wish I could afford a new bass, but I can't really justify it given the fact I already have 4. I'm saving for a Fender though, all mine are "budget." Couldn't choose a better first bass than an Epiphone though, surely.

As for loving bass more than guitar, totally natural and understandable! :D

It has got 24 frets and is about 4 inches longer than my (Epiphone Les Paul) guitar. At first it felt like it was awkwardly long to properly play on it (especially sliding) but now it's my guitar that feels way too short. :lol:

Yeah Epiphone again was a good choice for me as a beginner, their amps could be better but that would require a higher price anyways so it's alright. :)

Saving up for a Fender is always a good idea!

What I really love about playing bass is that you can play the easiest shit ever and it still makes you feel so badass. I can play a few bass lines already and the more demanding ones are just like "awww yes". :lol: Also it is so comfortable to have some more space between the strings, that always kind of bothered me on guitars because you can mess it up way more easily.

It has got 24 frets and is about 4 inches longer than my (Epiphone Les Paul) guitar. At first it felt like it was awkwardly long to properly play on it (especially sliding) but now it's my guitar that feels way too short. :lol:

Yeah Epiphone again was a good choice for me as a beginner, their amps could be better but that would require a higher price anyways so it's alright. :)

Saving up for a Fender is always a good idea!

What I really love about playing bass is that you can play the easiest shit ever and it still makes you feel so badass. I can play a few bass lines already and the more demanding ones are just like "awww yes". :lol: Also it is so comfortable to have some more space between the strings, that always kind of bothered me on guitars because you can mess it up way more easily.

I've got a 24 fret bass and it feels really long in comparison to a 20 fret, let alone a guitar! I played guitar for the first time in months the other day and it felt so weird!

That's one of the things I love about bass. With guitar you can chug away on a power chord and it gets boring really quickly, but with bass if you're holding a root note you can really dig in and it's really cathartic. I find it to be a far more dynamic instrument than guitar, especially when you get into multiple techniques.

Bigass chrome machine heads always help you feel like a badass too, especially in comparison to poxy little guitar ones.

Truer words have never been spoken. Really.

Also when you tell somebody that you're playing the guitar they expect you to play like Jimi Hendrix and since I'm a beginner they are usually a bit disappointed. :lol: But with the bass... they're surprised by it and its possibilities in sound because they've actually never had any idea what a bass sounds like (or in famous songs they've mistaken it as a guitar).

^^ I know, right? I've had a few people actually be surprised that I play the bass cause they think it's "boring" or something (shows how much they know, pfft) or because "not a lot of girls play bass" (which also deserves a pfft). I did a thing with the bass for a play I was in last month and some dude came up to me afterwards and literally asked "so do you actually play the bass or was that fake?" and I was just like... are you serious? :lol:

Truer words have never been spoken. Really.

Also when you tell somebody that you're playing the guitar they expect you to play like Jimi Hendrix and since I'm a beginner they are usually a bit disappointed. :lol: But with the bass... they're surprised by it and its possibilities in sound because they've actually never had any idea what a bass sounds like (or in famous songs they've mistaken it as a guitar).

I hate the misconception that bassists just stand there doing nothing and play the same note for three minutes at a time. It's good to shut people up in that respect just by asking them "Do you like Under Pressure, Superfreak, U Can't Touch This, Welcome To Paradise, Longview, or anything by the Jackson Five, Muse, RHCP or Rush?"

Ultimately, it's pretty easy to play bass, but it's a whole different matter to be able to play it well.

I never understood five or six string basses. I mean, five string basses are okay because they can be used well in jazz and metal music, so it works out in specific cases. But like, six string bass are just beyond pointless. I never even wanna touch one. :P

I never understood five or six string basses. I mean, five string basses are okay because they can be used well in jazz and metal music, so it works out in specific cases. But like, six string bass are just beyond pointless. I never even wanna touch one. :P

I agree! I did have a 5 string bass but I had to sell it after a fortnight because I needed the money. I did miss it for a while, but I've since set my Warwick up in CFA#D# tuning, so the lower notes are no problem now. Six strings are just a whole world of no, and only serve to interfere with the guitar and vocal melody.

Oh my god a black on black Fender Jazz! :runaround::wub:

He's actually a translucent black, so up close, it's really freaking pretty. you can see the wood through the paint.

http://www.fender.com/series/modern-player/modern-player-jazz-bass-rosewood-fingerboard-black-transparent/

(picture doesn't do it justice, it looks more brown in the picture than it does in real life)

He's actually a translucent black, so up close, it's really freaking pretty. you can see the wood through the paint.

http://www.fender.com/series/modern-player/modern-player-jazz-bass-rosewood-fingerboard-black-transparent/

(picture doesn't do it justice, it looks more brown in the picture than it does in real life)

That looks damn amazing. What country is it from? I may like it aesthetically even more than my red sparkle Italia (in the OP).

That looks damn amazing. What country is it from? I may like it aesthetically even more than my red sparkle Italia (in the OP)

I think it's from China since it's a modern player

Damn, man. That is one good lookin' bass.

My next bass purchase Is probably going to be a bass head and cabinet amp. I have no preference of brand I was thinking Ampeg, but I don't know as much about amps :lol:

Edit: I may buy a tuning pedal and another bass preamp pedal (The second preamp sounds unnecessary but it's to get the same set up as one of my favourite bands' bassist)

My next bass purchase Is probably going to be a bass head and cabinet amp. I have no preference of brand I was thinking Ampeg, but I don't know as much about amps :lol:

Edit: I may buy a tuning pedal and another bass preamp pedal (The second preamp sounds unnecessary but it's to get the same set up as one of my favourite bands' bassist)

You can't go wrong with Ampeg, really. I'm hoping to get a Fender Super Bassman at some point, because Mike :wub:

You can't go wrong with Ampeg, really. I'm hoping to get a Fender Super Bassman at some point, because Mike :wub:

Ampeg is the cheaper option I'm looking at (Yet it'll still cost $1700 NZD) It's one of the Portaflex series cabinet and head. And the cabinet has wheels, cause I'm lazy :lol: but anyway, that'll probably be a purchase of the end of this year when I'm working again, instead of waiting like 10 weeks between school holidays to get the other part of it and be all sad with a head or cabinet and not the other one

Ampeg is the cheaper option I'm looking at (Yet it'll still cost $1700 NZD) It's one of the Portaflex series cabinet and head. And the cabinet has wheels, cause I'm lazy :lol: but anyway, that'll probably be a purchase of the end of this year when I'm working again, instead of waiting like 10 weeks between school holidays to get the other part of it and be all sad with a head or cabinet and not the other one

The Ampeg is the cheap option? :lol:

I used an Ampeg SVT-450 and 8x10 cab while I was at uni and oh my god, it was absolutely incredible. I'd love to own one, but at the same time I love Mike's bass tone, and since I own his signature bass I feel like a Super Bassman would suit me more. Wheels are always a good idea though, I wouldn't consider getting a cab without them anymore, or at least a wheeled flightcase for it to sit in.

The 6th string on a 6 string bass is a string higher than the "G" string (hahahaha, I said g string) so it's a "b" or the 5th string on a 6 string guitar.

The Ampeg is the cheap option? :lol:

I used an Ampeg SVT-450 and 8x10 cab while I was at uni and oh my god, it was absolutely incredible. I'd love to own one, but at the same time I love Mike's bass tone, and since I own his signature bass I feel like a Super Bassman would suit me more. Wheels are always a good idea though, I wouldn't consider getting a cab without them anymore, or at least a wheeled flightcase for it to sit in.

Don't laugh at my limited selection and fancy tastes in amps :P

And I'm trying to get a Chris Kells (The Agonist) which is metal then a bit of the punchy-ness of hardcore or punk bands. Cause I quite like both of those styles and it'd be a unique tone and a sound I like. As for Ampeg, I like the sound of their amps, idk why. Also the cabinet I want has wheels :shy: wheels make any cabinet 10000 times better.

• 3 weeks later...

i've been dying to learn bass for years, at 14 i asked for one for Christmas but my dad said no as 'it's a mans instrument and no one cares about it anyway'. i soon gave up on that dream :P but i've been eyeing up Mike's signature bass, it's so beautiful. i tried to learn guitar like a year ago but i sucked so hard at it. only tried it because a guitar was in the house, never really cared for guitar. always been a bass girl.

just gotta somehow get the money for a somewhat decent beginner bass, and find someone to teach me to play.. :mellow:

also Mary you look bloody amazing holding that bass, in the least pervy way possible.

i've been dying to learn bass for years, at 14 i asked for one for Christmas but my dad said no as 'it's a mans instrument and no one cares about it anyway'. i soon gave up on that dream :P but i've been eyeing up Mike's signature bass, it's so beautiful. i tried to learn guitar like a year ago but i sucked so hard at it. only tried it because a guitar was in the house, never really cared for guitar. always been a bass girl.

just gotta somehow get the money for a somewhat decent beginner bass, and find someone to teach me to play.. :mellow:

also Mary you look bloody amazing holding that bass, in the least pervy way possible.

Bass isn't very hard to teach yourself. At least, that's what I found with the basics. Reading tabs and stuff is super easy, so if you just start with simple songs (the first song I learned was Smells Like Teen Spirit) and watch videos, you can teach yourself the basic stuff with no problem.

Archived