Donation to help with costs Read more... ×
Hermione

Vegetarians and Vegans

November's Storms

When I saw her the next day, I said “Tell your boyfriend, if he says he's got beef that I'm a vegetarian and I'm not fucking scared of him.”

3Oh!3 :) I've used that line a few times myself :)

• Like 1

georgielikesgreenday

I've been a vegetarian for about three years now. The reason I became a vegetarian was I didn't (and still don't) think it's fair that we kill animals just so that we can eat them.

• Like 3

November's Storms

I've been a vegetarian for about three years now. The reason I became a vegetarian was I didn't (and still don't) think it's fair that we kill animals just so that we can eat them.

Sounds legit.

I had a lovely question yesterday which would make it so much easier if everyone asked it like this.

"Oh you're vegetarian?"

"Yes"

"Is it for the animals?"

"Yes".

Easy.

• Like 2

georgielikesgreenday

Sounds legit.

I had a lovely question yesterday which would make it so much easier if everyone asked it like this.

"Oh you're vegetarian?"

"Yes"

"Is it for the animals?"

"Yes".

Easy.

When I say yes when people ask they're like 'BUT MEAT IS AMAZING!!!!!!'.
  • Like 1

November's Storms

When I say yes when people ask they're like 'BUT MEAT IS AMAZING!!!!!!'.

Or they talk about bacon likes it's some sort of drug.

• Like 3

georgielikesgreenday

Or they talk about bacon likes it's some sort of drug.

Yeah, pretty much. They're just like 'I love animals, but I love meat more'.

colour_me_stupid_

I just tell people that my diet was pretty bad and I gave up meat to force myself to eat more veggies. Which is a little bit true, I used to get a lot of mouth ulcers and I rarely get them now. But mostly it's because of a video I saw on youtube that just freaked me out. I was no longer comfortable with supporting an industry that treats animals so horribly. I also found it hypocritical that I'd say I could never eat a fluffy lamb, but eat chicken and the like no problem.

• Like 1

November's Storms

Speaking of hypocrisy, my flatmate is the one who goes on about all the bullshit with vegetarianism giving you cancer and it being unnatural, yet she claims to love animals and loves to shout about volunteering with animal shelters. It's this kind of hypocrisy that annoys me but it's also dangerous because when veggies start speaking like this it seems to other people as if we're being all arrogant and righteous, which is probably one of the big label thrown at veggies, often rightly so. At the same time, bitch please, I have a reason to be righteous.

• Like 1

Angela.

So yesterday made a year since I went vegetarian. It's been one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I have yet to find a nice veggie substitute for a deli sandwich, though. Yves brand lunch meat tasted awful and I haven't found another veggie brand that can hold up to a deli sandwich. I've heard of the Lightlife brand, so I might look into them next. I miss a nice deli sandwich. There has to be a tasty veggie substitute out there.

• Like 1

mulder

I'm vegetarian (for nine months now) and I can't stand those vegetarians/vegans that think it's alright to put their pets on a vegan diet. That's practically animal abuse.

Also I am sick of these "militant vegans" that basically harass people about becoming vegan and literally say horrible things to people who are not vegan/vegetarian. For example, this one guy once told this girl on Tumblr to kill herself because she was contributing to "the rape of the Earth" (I should also mention she was a sexual harrassment/rape survivor and was very triggered by his comment). Like a lot of people don't think about howvegan/vegetarian products usually cost more than regular products and some people just do not have the funds to pay for all that. To me, if you are a vegan/vegetarian and you choose to harass people about why they haven't gone vegan yet and all this shit about it being "so easy" and try to make people feel guilty about eating meat, you are a terrible person and are doing nothing positive for vegetarianism/veganism.

Hermione

I'm vegetarian (for nine months now) and I can't stand those vegetarians/vegans that think it's alright to put their pets on a vegan diet. That's practically animal abuse.

Also I am sick of these "militant vegans" that basically harass people about becoming vegan and literally say horrible things to people who are not vegan/vegetarian. For example, this one guy once told this girl on Tumblr to kill herself because she was contributing to "the rape of the Earth" (I should also mention she was a sexual harrassment/rape survivor and was very triggered by his comment). Like a lot of people don't think about howvegan/vegetarian products usually cost more than regular products and some people just do not have the funds to pay for all that. To me, if you are a vegan/vegetarian and you choose to harass people about why they haven't gone vegan yet and all this shit about it being "so easy" and try to make people feel guilty about eating meat, you are a terrible person and are doing nothing positive for vegetarianism/veganism.

Agreed (and I think pretty much everyone here would agree with that as well). To me the thing that's really ridiculous about it is them being vegan or vegetarian is only going to have a tiny, tiny impact on the world anyway. It's not like them or that one person they're harassing giving up eating meat/animal products is going to save millions of animals. Someone being vegan will help a minuscule amount, someone being vegetarian will help a minuscule amount, and someone who eats meat choosing meat from a local farm instead of a factory farm will help a minuscule amount as well, it's pretty silly to get hung up about exactly how much or little other people are doing to help when it's all things that'll only have a tiny impact anyway. In reality the only real impact changing what you eat is going to have is on how happy/justified you feel with what you eat, and that only affects you so it should always be a personal decision. Not to mention harassing people only puts them off and makes them dislike vegetarians and vegans!

• Like 1

November's Storms

I have yet to find a nice veggie substitute for a deli sandwich, though. Yves brand lunch meat tasted awful and I haven't found another veggie brand that can hold up to a deli sandwich. I've heard of the Lightlife brand, so I might look into them next. I miss a nice deli sandwich. There has to be a tasty veggie substitute out there.

I do miss having a nice big sandwich! Now I have bread with peanut butter or nutella or something but never any healthy, substantial sandwiches.

I'm not so sure about it. I don't have pets and probably would just feed them regular pet food if I had some but there are good meat free alternatives now that give all the nutrients needed. If your pet is healthy and enjoying the food then where's the harm? If you make them suffer for your morals, that's another story.

Hermione

I'm not so sure about it. I don't have pets and probably would just feed them regular pet food if I had some but there are good meat free alternatives now that give all the nutrients needed. If your pet is healthy and enjoying the food then where's the harm? If you make them suffer for your morals, that's another story.

Pretty sure cats need meat, there's certain nutrients/chemicals in it that they need that can't be found elsewhere. Many other animals that need them produce them within their own bodies but cats don't so they have to eat other animals that do to get them, they evolved to get them that way. I've heard it's possible to feed a dog a vegetarian diet but it's very difficult to make it as healthy (and enjoyable for the dog) as a diet including meat. We're omnivores so meat is more of a choice for us but carnivores are actually supposed to eat meat. I'd say by all means try to find more ethical sources of meat to feed them if you want (although surely pet food is only a by product of animals that were already killed for human consumption anyway), but if you don't want a pet that eats meat you just shouldn't have a pet that's a carnivore.

colour_me_stupid_

Plus with a cat, feed it all the veggie food you want, but you'll be hard pushed to stop it going out hunting and killing small animals itself.

Tubbie Head

Got the "Living Vegetarian for Dummies" book, good start? :lol:

rootbeersoup

Going Vegan has been fairly easy since I lost my restaurant job. I think the most important thing I've learned is to stop clinging to vegan substitutes; they're for losers and babies.

The biggest hurdle remains eating out at restaurants. Especially when you're going out to a restaurant you didn't pick. Most places have some sort of butter/egg/cheese in fucking everything. Even something simple like a side of steamed veg will often feature melted butter.

Tubbie Head

My mom now accepts my choice to become vegetarian, you guys don't know how happy I am!

Right now I'm slowly adjusting (still eating fish occasionally, so I'm not actually vegetarian yet).

• Like 3

November's Storms

My mom now accepts my choice to become vegetarian, you guys don't know how happy I am!

Right now I'm slowly adjusting (still eating fish occasionally, so I'm not actually vegetarian yet).

Progress! I work with quite a few Portuguese people and almost all of them can't understand why I'm veggie at all, so I can see why it might be difficult for you. Especially as fish is so big over there!

Tubbie Head

Progress! I work with quite a few Portuguese people and almost all of them can't understand why I'm veggie at all, so I can see why it might be difficult for you. Especially as fish is so big over there!

Yeah, it's really rare to find someone who's a vegetarian over here, specially in my area. But hopefully that'll change in the future! :D (we're always behind in time it seems).

In other news, just finished my first attempt at cooking tofu, I cooked it with curry and veggies... I hope it's good, from what I've tasted, it feels like something's off... Not quite sure what. But oh well!

EDIT: Yuck, I didn't like it. But my mom did :lol:

Joey

Yeah, it's really rare to find someone who's a vegetarian over here, specially in my area. But hopefully that'll change in the future! :D (we're always behind in time it seems).

In other news, just finished my first attempt at cooking tofu, I cooked it with curry and veggies... I hope it's good, from what I've tasted, it feels like something's off... Not quite sure what. But oh well!

EDIT: Yuck, I didn't like it. But my mom did :lol:

I've messed up cooking tofu more times than I care to remember. I once tried to make a vegan cheesecake using it. Wasn't a success.

They say vegetarians are weak but the shit we go through to discover food that's edible would test the spirit of Guantanamo inmates.

• Like 1

Hermione

I don't like tofu. For protein/filling stuff in curry I like lentils.

Tubbie Head

I've messed up cooking tofu more times than I care to remember. I once tried to make a vegan cheesecake using it. Wasn't a success.

They say vegetarians are weak but the shit we go through to discover food that's edible would test the spirit of Guantanamo inmates.

Yeah, it seems to be a hard thing to get right. I should have had my research done on tofu before buying it :lol:

I actually liked it when I tried it before, but the cooker was my sister's friend's mom, she's a really good cooker and also the only vegetarian I know.

chatnoir

Preparing tofu well is a bit difficult. But it's just the same with meat. If you throw a raw and unseasoned steak into a stew it will come out one of the more disgusting things. So you have to season tofu well and prepare it the right way.

I can recommend cutting smoked tofu into thin slices and fry them until golden in oil (best use a teflon-coated frying pan), then season them with pepper. Like that they are awesome on a sandwich, for instance with avocado slices, tomatoes and grated carrots or whatever you like.

You can also get tofu to mimick scrambled eggs. For this you use normal tofu, the firm one, not silk tofu. Scramble it into pieces and fry them like described above until they are golden and crispy. Season with salt, pepper and curcuma. Then add a bit of water and mashed cashew nuts. Before serving sprinkle with freshly cut chives.

In general it's important to squeeze the block of tofu (not necessary with the smoked variety), so that the preserving water comes off. Then it can be nice to marinate it, with a bit of garlic and soy sauce for instance, some oil, herbs, before frying.

I also had the most awesome tofu in a Chinese place in London. Menu said, it was braised and it was also a bit golden on the outside and firm, but so creamy and nice on the inside. I assume it must have been some badass quality tofu in the first place.

• Like 1

November's Storms

Thanks for the tofu tips. It's funny, I'm definitely not the stereotypical vegetarian. I never make salads and almost never eat tofu!

I don't like tofu. For protein/filling stuff in curry I like lentils.

Everytime I prepare lentils they always seem to turn out bland and boring. Any suggestions?

Beathe.

Got the "Living Vegetarian for Dummies" book, good start? :lol:

I should totally get that!:lol:

I still eat fish, but I haven't eaten meat since I was 12-ish.