Donation to help with costs Read more... ×
Hermione

Vegetarians and Vegans

colour_me_stupid_

I'm curious, to either vegetarians or vegans: do you wear leather? I hear some people do and some people don't. I guess it's a personal thing as in where you draw the line of using animal products?

I have a pair of Docs, but that's it. I do feel bad about it, but I justify it by telling myself that they will last years and so I won't waste money on further pairs of boots that aren't as effective.

I won't ever buy a real leather jacket or anything like that though. I've a fake leather jacket from primark and it looks just as good as real leather would.

I really want a leather couch when I have my own place though. Comfiest things I've ever planted my backside on.

BrutalLove

^This thread was getting along just fine without asinine posts like that before it had to be restarted so if you're only here to troll please don't bother posting, go and visit the Meat Thread instead. Also other than people who've been brought up as vegetarian from birth we do know what we're missing thanks.

So, the reason I wanted to post in this thread in the first place was to say I think it's really cool that Mo Farah is advertising Quorn! He's not vegetarian but he's awesome, and it's nice to see the fact that there's other perfectly good forms of protein available other than meat and anyone can have a healthy and satisfying meal without meat promoted. Really great to see the rise of vegetarian products into the mainstream, I love how I can go to any supermarket and have so much choice of different fake meat and other vegetarian products now.

I'm a vegetarian. I wasn't raised as a vegetarian and I only decided to stop eating meat last year.

My favourite is the Quorn Tikka Masala.

November's Storms

Having a meat lover for a boyfriend sucks sometimes. There's a vegetarian restaurant in Dublin City that I want to try, but I'd feel bad asking him to go with me cause what the hell would he eat. He'd probably want to go get a Big Mac afterwards. :lol:

I guess you're talking about Cornucopia? Take him! It's a delicious place, voted best restaurant in Dublin in 2011. That's a misconception that annoys me, meat eaters don't seem to realize that they can eat something vegetarian too. If he's moaning about veggie food not being filling take him to Govindas and order a large plate, then he can shut the hell up!

Also, I'm giving vegan another try now. Did it for a few months last summer but have been phasing in and out since then. One thing that troubles me is that I can't think of good ideas for vegan sandwiches or convenient foods that I can take to work.

November's Storms

Saw this video recently. If you have an hour to spare, I recommend watching it.

Yourofsky is brilliant. A bit on the manic side of veganism in some of his other interviews but his passion and patience are to be admired. Plus he gave me some great advice via email a while back.

Dai.

Hello, my name is Dai and I have been a vegetarian for about 7 months, and I'm very happy with my decision :happy:

• Like 2

rootbeersoup

Hello, my name is Dai and I have been a vegetarian for about 7 months, and I'm very happy with my decision :happy:

Why not vegan? Not trolling

Dai.

Why not vegan? Not trolling

Well honestly, because I'm not strong enough. I think that it would seriously damage my mental health, and it doesn't help that I'm very picky about food. I've already had to start eating several things I didn't like before because otherwise I could get anemia, and I'm probably on the verge of it as it is.

One of my cousins has been vegan for over 5 years (he's my age) and I admire him a lot for it, but it's not a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

colour_me_stupid_

I guess you're talking about Cornucopia? Take him! It's a delicious place, voted best restaurant in Dublin in 2011. That's a misconception that annoys me, meat eaters don't seem to realize that they can eat something vegetarian too. If he's moaning about veggie food not being filling take him to Govindas and order a large plate, then he can shut the hell up!

Also, I'm giving vegan another try now. Did it for a few months last summer but have been phasing in and out since then. One thing that troubles me is that I can't think of good ideas for vegan sandwiches or convenient foods that I can take to work.

Yup, that's the one. He says he'll go alright, but I know well he isn't exactly thrilled about it :dry::lol:

Lately he's been very sweet though and looking at and sending me the veggie menus of restaurants!

I might switch to almond milk when I've more money. Chocolate soya milk is good too, I get that in college sometimes.

• Like 1

Lemonitsa

Do you vegans check your vitamin and mineral intake regularly?

I just got my blood test results first time since going vegan three years ago and my doctor said that everything is very well! All vitamin and mineral levels were excellent. I haven't eaten any supplements regularly (not even B12, but I think it is added in many vegan products). My doctor said that I should stick to my healthy diet :)

Go vegans!

• Like 4

rootbeersoup

Do you vegans check your vitamin and mineral intake regularly?

I just got my blood test results first time since going vegan three years ago and my doctor said that everything is very well! All vitamin and mineral levels were excellent. I haven't eaten any supplements regularly (not even B12, but I think it is added in many vegan products). My doctor said that I should stick to my healthy diet :)

Go vegans!

That's really great to hear, thank you!

Penguin Puffball

I swore this thread had more posts

Well I gave up my vegetarianism thingy a while ago but since I'm gonna be moving out soon and can buy my own groceries, I'm weaning myself off meat this time. I haven't eaten a pig product in probably two months and I'd like to work up to all meats eventually.

rootbeersoup

The only thing stopping me from going full vegan is the social aspect of eating. Food is a culture where I live and I already jump through hoops trying to avoid bread and pasta everywhere I go. And I know from working in a restaurant that I can't really trust other people enough to make things fully vegan for me, or really ever get my money's worth.

Don't get me wrong, I don't ever have to eat out again; I'm amazingly skilled as a chef and I can cook just about anything on the planet to perfection, so coming up with things to eat is not an issue. Kelsey always likes eating out and such and I know that'd be such a fucking struggle trying to find places that she likes and that I could eat at. Like I said, it's the social aspect that's the problem.

Also I really like seafood

Dai.

Wait, you're vegetarian?

rootbeersoup

Wait, you're vegetarian?

I'm nothing right now. And everything.

Dai.

Just thought I'd ask :P You can't expect to go vegan if you're not even a vegetarian, it's too terrible a change and it could seriously damage your health.

rootbeersoup

Just thought I'd ask :P You can't expect to go vegan if you're not even a vegetarian, it's too terrible a change and it could seriously damage your health.

Thanks mom I think I'd be ok :)

You're overestimating the amount of animal products I currently eat. Going vegan would be a minor change for me.

November's Storms

I might switch to almond milk when I've more money. Chocolate soya milk is good too, I get that in college sometimes.

If you can drink soy milk Lidl and Aldi sell it quite cheap so it's not much of a cost issue. It's not delicious either so I only had it in cereal or with other things but yeah.

November's Storms

Why can't I even buy a pack of sunflower seeds without the shells being coated with pepperoni? I never even considered checking the ingredients! Ugh.

Dai.

Why can't I even buy a pack of sunflower seeds without the shells being coated with pepperoni? I never even considered checking the ingredients! Ugh.

Aw gross, I hate when that happens to me :( A couple of weeks ago I found out that my favorite alcoholic beverage (which I had been drinking a lot lately) is not vegetarian, it was a sad moment.

fukingcounterstrike

Aw gross, I hate when that happens to me :( A couple of weeks ago I found out that my favorite alcoholic beverage (which I had been drinking a lot lately) is not vegetarian, it was a sad moment.

How in the hell? :huh:

Dai.

Yeah I don't even. The colorant they use for it comes from some type of bug.

rootbeersoup

How is this possible?

Dai.

How is this possible?

I just told you, ffs :mad:

rootbeersoup

I just told you, ffs :mad:

We posted at the same time :cry: It's not my fault we're so in sync :happy:

November's Storms

Guinness isn't vegetarian either. Apparently they use some fish product in the production process.