Donation to help with costs Read more... ×
Hermione

Vegetarians and Vegans

Hermione

I have some sad news, the old vegetarians and vegans thread has mysteriously disappeared! It's gone and nobody knows what happened to it. RIP.

But life goes on, so here we have a sparkly new thread for talking about anything and everything to do with being vegetarian, vegan, or any variation of those things. Are you a vegetarian or a vegan? How long have you been one? What are your reasons for it? Want any advice or tips? Got any good recipes? Eaten some particularly delicious veggie food lately? Just want to chat about any of your thoughts on or experiences with vegetarianism/veganism? If any of these questions interest you this is the thread for you!

• Like 1

Steven Seagull

You don't know what you are missing:

Raw-Meat-1.jpg

P.S. Please don't ban me

Edited by Hermione
Very clever contribution of a picture of some raw meat spoilered for those who don't feel like looking at it
  • Like 4

Hermione

^This thread was getting along just fine without asinine posts like that before it had to be restarted so if you're only here to troll please don't bother posting, go and visit the Meat Thread instead. Also other than people who've been brought up as vegetarian from birth we do know what we're missing thanks.

So, the reason I wanted to post in this thread in the first place was to say I think it's really cool that Mo Farah is advertising Quorn! He's not vegetarian but he's awesome, and it's nice to see the fact that there's other perfectly good forms of protein available other than meat and anyone can have a healthy and satisfying meal without meat promoted. Really great to see the rise of vegetarian products into the mainstream, I love how I can go to any supermarket and have so much choice of different fake meat and other vegetarian products now.

• Like 2

Certified Nimrod

My mom is a vegetarian and has been since she was a teenager. One of my aunts considers herself a vegetarian, yet she eats chicken. I consider her a liar.

• Like 4

Spike

I'm not a vegetarian, but I'm looking to cut down my meat intake drastically. Well-sourced, sustainable meat from animals that haven't been tortured and generally mistreated is damn expensive, and I refuse point blank to buy into the side of the industry that tortures animals. So I'm cutting down from having meat 6 days a week to maybe 2. If anyone would like to share some magical delicious vegetarian recipes I'd be more than happy to use them, haha.

WhiteTim

So what are the differences between vegetarians and vegans?

Spike

So what are the differences between vegetarians and vegans?

Vegetarians don't eat meat, vegans don't eat meat or anything that comes from an animal, such as eggs and milk.

Nemo.

Vegetarians don't eat meat, vegans don't eat meat or anything that comes from an animal, such as eggs and milk.

and they don't consume leather-products

beejeezee

You don't know what you are missing:

Raw-Meat-1.jpg

P.S. Please don't ban me

Not a vegetarian, but that disgusted me.

When the fuck did vegetarians start eating purses?

• Like 3

Spike

I knew I was missing something. What's the deal with wool, by the way?

Steven Seagull

Yeah I hate tomatos too.

Slydren

I've managed to go a day without eating meat, but I wouldn't be able to go the rest of my life without it. Well. I could but I won't

Snows

When the fuck did vegetarians start eating purses?

They don't USE leather products, as shoes, bags, etc.

Personally, I am vegetarian, I eat eggs and dairy. But I try to avoid leather. For the wool, btw, it's more difficult to avoid. It's mixed in some fabrics and if you don't read carefully the tags you can buy it.

Emilie

I knew I was missing something. What's the deal with wool, by the way?

I think it depends on the person? Some will wear wool and some won't. Same with honey, I think

colour_me_stupid_

I found this thing called "how vegan are you?" a while back, found it again there cause it was so ridiculous. Some of the questions include:

"Do you print photographs at home on vegan paper?"
"Do you buy furniture that contains shellac?"

"Do you buy vegan glue?"
"Do you take birth control pills? (most contain estrogen)"

If you just google how vegan are you, you can see the rest. What a load of shit. It'd be virtually impossible to answer "yes" to all of the questions. I think if you eat no animal products and don't wear fur, real leather, etc, then you can call yourself vegan. In fact I'd probably stop at fur. I know a vegan guy who wears Doc Martins. I don't think it makes him any less vegan..

Don't think I could ever take the full plunge and go vegan myself.. Tasted almond milk recently though, and it was nice, so I may start reducing my dairy milk intake, we'll see :)

Beathe.

I'm pretty awful at this vegetarian thing. I've haven't eaten meat since I was in the 7th grade, but I keep getting sick all the time. I should probably know better by now, but clearly I don't.

Snows

I think that people exaggerate a bit when someone says that they are vegan, people are so hard with them. You can do the best to be vegan, but you can't avoid all the animal products in this society. Because nobody can recognize most of them. They are everywhere. I think that if you do everything that is at your hand it's ok.

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love

I'm not a vegetarian, but I'm looking to cut down my meat intake drastically. Well-sourced, sustainable meat from animals that haven't been tortured and generally mistreated is damn expensive, and I refuse point blank to buy into the side of the industry that tortures animals. So I'm cutting down from having meat 6 days a week to maybe 2. If anyone would like to share some magical delicious vegetarian recipes I'd be more than happy to use them, haha.

Yeah we're doing that too at home, and I'm def planning on continuing that trend. When I cook for myself I hardly use meat anyway. I don't plan on becoming a vegetarian, but I definitely don't want or need meat every day.

Also a plus to cutting down meat is that when you do eat it, you have the money to buy the biological quality stuff which really does taste better than the cheap meat.

• Like 1

Angela.

My boyfriend attempted to make a veggie friendly version of stroganoff using veggie crumbles last night. It was going well... and then he accidentally used a seasoning packet that had beef stock in it. :pinch: He tried. We made veggie tacos recently and those were excellent. I'm glad that he's so supportive of it. He eats meat himself, but he loves vegetarian alternatives just as much.

colour_me_stupid_

Having a meat lover for a boyfriend sucks sometimes. There's a vegetarian restaurant in Dublin City that I want to try, but I'd feel bad asking him to go with me cause what the hell would he eat. He'd probably want to go get a Big Mac afterwards. :lol:

rootbeersoup

Saw this video recently. If you have an hour to spare, I recommend watching it.

• Like 2

Nemo.

Hey guys...

I'm thinking about going vegan.

Are any of you vegan, have you tried it, what are your experiences?

Juliette

I don't really eat that much meat anyway but I've been trying to cut down and have been eating quorn instead where I can. I was thinking of giving up meat for lent and seeing how that goes but I think it'll be harder than I realise cause so many things aren't vegetarian that I wouldn't normally think about.

Katarina.

I'm curious, to either vegetarians or vegans: do you wear leather? I hear some people do and some people don't. I guess it's a personal thing as in where you draw the line of using animal products?

Joey

I'm curious, to either vegetarians or vegans: do you wear leather? I hear some people do and some people don't. I guess it's a personal thing as in where you draw the line of using animal products?

I have very recently stopped buying leather (last year or so). I'd say that anybody concerned about animal welfare to the point of becoming vegan (which I dabble in but find impossible to maintain) cannot avoid the issue.

Of course, this is made much easier for me by living in a very middle class area where vegan shoe shops cater to self righteous pricks like me who can afford to spunk 60 quid on faux-suede loafers.

• Like 1