Happy 20th Anniversary DOOKIE!

R_Z-Log

I'm really surprised that there isn't already an "official" thread for this yet, which makes me think there is and I'm just not seeing it. SO, Mods please close or move this if need be!

But anyway, today is Dookie's 20th anniversary!! HOORAY!!!!

Here's my ode to the album that changed my life :-)

On February 1st 1994, Green Day released their third album. It would be the album to make them a household name and skyrocket them into super stardom. I was nine years old. I first heard the album shortly after turning ten later that year. Some boys in my class were listening to it on their walkman (haha), and (being the nosy kid that I was), I asked them what they were listening to. They showed me the album cover, and let me listen to it for a few seconds. I honestly can't remember if I liked it or not, but I know that it was like nothing that I had ever heard before, and it certainly didn't sound like anything that my parents ever listened to. I'm pretty sure my initial reaction was a "Whoa, what is this??" kind of thing, more than anything else.
The answer of course, was that it was an album called "Dookie" by a band named "Green Day." If we're being honest here, it's not my favorite Green Day album, BUT it's the album that opened my eyes to a whole new world of music that I never knew existed. It started my branching away from what my parents were listening to, and creating my own musical identity. It was the album that introduced me to the band that changed my life, and for all of those reasons it will always hold a special place in my heart. SO, without further ado, Happy 20th anniversary Dookie, you old fart! The end :-)

Sorry, I copied and pasted from my FB status haha.

So yeah! Happy anniversary Dookie!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a thread for the fact that the anniversary is coming up, we might as well have a new one now it's arrived though so I've closed it and directed people to here :)

Yay for Dookie! It's insane that's it's 20 years old, and it's still fabulous as ever. Excuse me while I listen to it!

Woo! Happy Birthday! What's everyone's favorite song from the album? It is a hard choice, but mine might be When I Come Around because it is one of the songs that got me really into Green Day

Woo! Happy Birthday! What's everyone's favorite song from the album? It is a hard choice, but mine might be When I Come Around because it is one of the songs that got me really into Green Day

Basket Case

Mine is Having A Blast!

Mine's Longview, it's the epitome of a Green Day song for me. Has everything I love, the lyrics about an unusual subject that are honest, dark and funny all at once, the quirky jazz vibe and fantastic bassline, the contrast between the chilled out verses and the energetic chorus when the guitar and drums kick in. Best Green Day song ever!

Happy 20th anniversary, Dookie!!!

One of the most important albums of my life. The first Green Day album I've heard, almost decade ago (it'll be 10 years in July) during a school trip. My friend had said that I'd certainly like it. And oh, the cover was so awesome!! When the first drum beats of Burnout hit my ears, I instantly became hooked. Good memories! :happy:

I've already listened to it today and intend to listen one more time.

It's gotta be Having A Blast. The reckless abandon in the chorus is incredible. That said, I love, love, love When I Come Around. I always kind of forget about it and then absolutely freak out for it live, every time.

And I hate Longview, it's a terrible song.

It's gotta be Having A Blast. The reckless abandon in the chorus is incredible. That said, I love, love, love When I Come Around. I always kind of forget about it and then absolutely freak out for it live, every time.

Strange

subjective

line breaks: sub|jec|tive

Pronunciation: /səbˈdʒɛktɪv

ADJECTIVE

1. based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions:

'his views are highly subjective'

'there is always the danger of making a subjective judgement'

"Basket Case"; Tre's drum fills are great, it's the catchiest goddamn thing ever written, and those opening lines...*shivers* Perfection.

I still can't decide which my favorite album is between Dookie and American Idiot. But I think now, it's Dookie.

Happy 20th birthday, Dookie! hope that Green Day post something about this.

Happy fucking birthday Dookie !

My fav is When I come around, I managed to make my best friend fan of this song

01.41.gif

:fuckyou: If I didn't hate your before I hate you know. #NotWorthyOfAMod

I can't having read this. (kidding, everyone has his own tastes) (but still)

Happy Birthday Dookie ! Favorite songs would be Coming Clean,Burnout,Having A Blast,and Basket Case

Happy Birthday Dookie! Legendary album. I can't believe it has been 20 years. It does not seem like it at all.

Happy 20th Birthday, Dookie! :dance::wub:_stoned__by_let_yourself_flo-d74offz.pngpoop.gif

Eternally thankful that I got to hear & see this legendary album live last year.

tumblr_inline_n0bnper0MR1qm7mav.gif

Longview is a fantastic song. One of the most unique and complete songs Green Day has ever written with cool contributions from guitar, bass, and drum.

Archived