Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Would You Like Butch Vig to Produce Next Album/Is Rob Cavallo to Blame for Trilogy's Lack of Success?

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you like to see Butch Vig return as a producer for Green Day's next album? (159 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see Butch Vig return as a producer for Green Day's next album?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Is Rob Cavallo to blame for the Trilogy's lack of success?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

Sarcasm

Sarcasm
  • Panty Purée/Savior of Lives/Arse Doctor

• 15,998 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 10,023 rep
I don't know if Rob handles promotion, but thats the reason the trilogy failed in my eyes. They were supposed to do stuff but rehab and other stuff got in the way, nothing more to it than that.

I loved the sound of 21stcbd though, so I wouldn't mind Butch being producer at all, even though it seems that the band has an undying chemistry with Rob.
  • Ryan and stan the harmonica man like this

Fuzz

Fuzz
  • Professional Cocksmith

• 38,631 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2004
  • 15,932 rep

I agree. Although I do think the project being split into three albums with separate release dates probably didn't help either :/

It was going to be hard to do from the start. Rehab just further derailed it though.

• Avox likes this

Todd

Todd
  • Sweet and Sour Children

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,901 rep

Steve albini... Now that would be a fucking record!

Lol @ In Utero

Avox

Avox
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Joined Jan 25, 2014
  • 131 rep

Yes but though a trilogy is too much and I thought this long before it comes out like ''what ?????? a trilogy, like, one, two, three ??!''.

New yes, but not that huge... Huge things aren't always the best and AI was just an exception, imo. :)

For the next, I hope it will be something more simple...

I wasn't talking about huge, just something new :happy: Producer-wise.

Oxymore

Oxymore
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,673 posts
  • Joined Sep 17, 2013
  • 2,609 rep

I wasn't talking about huge, just something new :happy: Producer-wise.

Yeah you're right, for AI tho, it wasn't ''huge'' (media made it huge), but the trilogy, yes... a triple album !

All hte conversations related to Green Day records make me more and more impatient about the next record. Aw.

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,418 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 3,528 rep
Rob's not really to blame for how the trilogy sounded the band wanted to do it differently from reading interviews about Rob is he follows what the band wants to do...

Where as Butch will make suggestions and is very hands on type producer

Jason Fox

Jason Fox
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Joined Sep 30, 2012
  • 35 rep
  • Location:The least desirable place in ohio-- The northern part

As far as production goes, I think Rob could have done better, but I think the main problem with the trilogy was it's lack of commercial success. But I suppose you could blame Rob Cavallo for that, because the trilogy REALLY could've been promoted more. 

Although Vig does over produce a bit, I wouldn't mind him returning (a radical proposition, but maybe a little over-production is what the band needs). 

But there's also hope that Cavallo learned from the trilogy, and could do a little better. 

Oxymore

Oxymore
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,673 posts
  • Joined Sep 17, 2013
  • 2,609 rep

I'm sure the next album will not be over-produced if the guys say they don't want to. And I'm sure they don't want.

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Dearly Beloved

• 6,418 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 3,528 rep

Lol @ In Utero

In Utero was Nirvana's best studio album

Tho I dont think Albini would go well with GD

As far as production goes, I think Rob could have done better, but I think the main problem with the trilogy was it's lack of commercial success. But I suppose you could blame Rob Cavallo for that, because the trilogy REALLY could've been promoted more. 

Although Vig does over produce a bit, I wouldn't mind him returning (a radical proposition, but maybe a little over-production is what the band needs). 

But there's also hope that Cavallo learned from the trilogy, and could do a little better. 

?? Cant blame Rob on the promotions...

Avox

Avox
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Joined Jan 25, 2014
  • 131 rep

After Billie's comments about loving shitty sounding records and wanting to record another rock opera but with low-fi technology...I don't think overproduction is something we'll have to worry about next time. Who knows :eyebrows:

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Dearly Beloved

• 6,418 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 3,528 rep

After Billie's comments about loving shitty sounding records and wanting to record another rock opera but with low-fi technology...I don't think overproduction is something we'll have to worry about next time. Who knows :eyebrows:

To be fair he been saying that for the last 10 years...

JOE THE X-KID

JOE THE X-KID
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2013
  • 1,443 rep

Lol @ In Utero

you're laughing at In Utero, whaaaaat?!

he has but I think he'll actually mean it this time, with the commercial failure of the trilogy, and Billie constantly posting about the Everlys and cassettes and stuff. I have a feeling the next album will be much more low-fi

Avox

Avox
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Joined Jan 25, 2014
  • 131 rep

Yeah I never take anything as gospel :happy: Time will tell I guess...

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Dearly Beloved

• 6,418 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 3,528 rep

you're laughing at In Utero, whaaaaat?!
he has but I think he'll actually mean it this time, with the commercial failure of the trilogy, and Billie constantly posting about the Everlys and cassettes and stuff. I have a feeling the next album will be much more low-fi

The trilogy was set up as a faux lo fi if people hate the fake way I doubt they will like the real way

HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade
  • And now for something completely different...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,799 posts
  • Joined Feb 15, 2013
  • 2,806 rep

What I want to see most from the next album is a larger role in the writing process for Mr. Cuatro, Jason White. I'm not sure how much input he's had in the past, but if he really is the fourth member, then it would be great to hear some different guitar philosophies and composition.

Advertising

Fuzz

Fuzz
  • Professional Cocksmith

• 38,631 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2004
  • 15,932 rep

The trilogy was set up as a faux lo fi if people hate the fake way I doubt they will like the real way

That's a pretty silly thing to say. Just because I don't like Velveeta doesn't mean I won't like real cheese.

• Ryan and JOE THE X-KID like this

Eva

Eva
  • Rebel Without a Car

• 6,169 posts
  • Joined Jun 09, 2011
  • 4,534 rep

I think it'd be cool to see them work with someone completely new. However, if we're just keeping it to a Butch vs. Cavallo argument, my vote is with Cavallo. He's done some amazing things with the band, and it seems he knows them very well as people and musicians. I feel it'd be easier for him to give Green Day ideas and produce a record than Butch, who only worked with them on 21st Century Breakdown, which was a fairly unsuccessful album when compared to Green Day's other records.

• Doctor of Pepper and Avox like this

Todd

Todd
  • Sweet and Sour Children

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,901 rep

What I want to see most from the next album is a larger role in the writing process for Mr. Cuatro, Jason White. I'm not sure how much input he's had in the past, but if he really is the fourth member, then it would be great to hear some different guitar philosophies and composition.

Like have some of his original songs and have him singing, like on Pinhead Gunpowder?

• Cob likes this

halfempty

halfempty
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Joined Sep 26, 2013
  • 91 rep

I love 21 CB and don't care too much about the Trilogy, but I get sentimental about Rob Cavallo cause he's been with them from the beginning. I don't really blame him for the Trilogy, he's always let Green Day do what they want.

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Dearly Beloved

• 6,418 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 3,528 rep

That's a pretty silly thing to say. Just because I don't like Velveeta doesn't mean I won't like real cheese.

Not really... if you take the trilogy with its faux lo fi production style and say they really did do it lo fi for real the sound difference would not be really noticeable... of course folks here also dont like the trilogy for lyrics and other...

Awesompawsome

Awesompawsome
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Joined Sep 10, 2012
  • 98 rep
How amazing would it be to see someone like dave grohl produce it? He just did it for Zac Brown Band and that EP was fuckin great, not to mention the talent in that room would be beyond amazing with him there

Joey

Joey
  • Oldie / Adored by Amanda

• 17,456 posts
  • Joined Nov 02, 2002
  • 214 rep

I would be concerned that, at this stage, Cavallo is little more than a 'yes' man in the studio. The band needs a good filter to challenge terrible ideas and point them in the right direction. If he's just saying "yeah Billie, that sounds great" to everything then the trilogy (the product, not the sales) explains itself a bit more.

I have no opinion on Butch Vig, 21st Century Breakdown got about 10 spins from me.

My preferred producer, simply because he has made some of my favourite albums, would be Nick Launay but that'll never happen so I don't know why I posted.

JOE THE X-KID

JOE THE X-KID
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2013
  • 1,443 rep

How amazing would it be to see someone like dave grohl produce it? He just did it for Zac Brown Band and that EP was fuckin great, not to mention the talent in that room would be beyond amazing with him there

I was about to say that haha
  • Awesompawsome likes this

Jean

Jean
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
  • Joined Dec 01, 2012
  • 3,822 rep

As long as it's not Dr. Fucking Luke, I don't care who the producer is.

I think maybe they should get Mutt Lange as a producer. He did AC/DC's Highway to Hell and Back In Black. In Cuatro they mention Back In Black.

Gmg44

Gmg44
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Joined Aug 07, 2009
  • 16 rep

I would really love to see Rick Rubin work with Green Day. Very interesting combination.

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Dearly Beloved

• 6,418 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 3,528 rep

I would really love to see Rick Rubin work with Green Day. Very interesting combination.

NO... just NO

If it was 90's Rubin hell yeah

Todays Rubin ruins bands...
  • Not Anyone. likes this

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • He's not an eggplant.

• 15,899 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 16,732 rep

The Trilogy didn't fail because of the production. Rob is an absolutely world-class producer. Obviously the guitars are lacking on the Trilogy, but I would have thought that was the band's decision, since ultimately they're the ones in control. The one thing that did cross my mind about Rob is how there were tensions between him and the band after American Idiot, and as such I thought maybe that may have resulted in him having less input on the Trilogy, out of not wanting to cause problems etc. I'm probably completely wrong on that front, but I do think it's worth thinking about.

That said, I love Butch's production. It was arguably overproduced, but overall the sound of Breakdown is incredible. The uncompressed remaster, at least. The songs on that album needed the dense sound that the wall of sound production brings, and as such I'd love to see him make a return if it suited the songs. I'd really like to see what he could do with a song like Stay The Night, he could take it from a great song to an absolute masterpiece. So in short, yes.

• WhiteTim, Todd and Doctor of Pepper like this

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,006 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,581 rep

Steve albini... Now that would be a fucking record!

Hmmm, isn't he known for putting vocals towards the back of the mix? I'm not sure how well that would work, but it's an interesting idea nonetheless.

My dream vote still goes to Bill Stevenson.

Rob's not really to blame for how the trilogy sounded the band wanted to do it differently from reading interviews about Rob is he follows what the band wants to do...

I still feel like Rob could have done more to really distinguish each album (sound-wise) via post production.

Rick Rubin gets bands to write amazing songs and then ruins them with his mastering. Death Magnetic would have been a much better album had Rubin not mixed everything into a super loud oblivion.
  • Todd likes this

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • He's not an eggplant.

• 15,899 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 16,732 rep

Hmmm, isn't he known for putting vocals towards the back of the mix? I'm not sure how well that would work, but it's an interesting idea nonetheless.

I wouldn't say so:

Rick Rubin gets bands to write amazing songs and then ruins them with his mastering. Death Magnetic would have been a much better album had Rubin not mixed everything into a super loud oblivion.

Exactly! I just can't listen to Californication these days, I have to go with live versions. It's not even the mastering, it's the fact everything's in mono as well.

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Dearly Beloved

• 6,418 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 3,528 rep
Albini does has a history of not having vocals loud enough but Green Day has buried vocals before on Insomniac...
  • Not Anyone. likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users