Would You Like Butch Vig to Produce Next Album/Is Rob Cavallo to Blame for Trilogy's Lack of Success?

Todd

Would you like to see Butch Vig return as a producer for Green Day's next album?  

161 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How amazing would it be to see someone like dave grohl produce it? He just did it for Zac Brown Band and that EP was fuckin great, not to mention the talent in that room would be beyond amazing with him there

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be concerned that, at this stage, Cavallo is little more than a 'yes' man in the studio. The band needs a good filter to challenge terrible ideas and point them in the right direction. If he's just saying "yeah Billie, that sounds great" to everything then the trilogy (the product, not the sales) explains itself a bit more.

I have no opinion on Butch Vig, 21st Century Breakdown got about 10 spins from me.

My preferred producer, simply because he has made some of my favourite albums, would be Nick Launay but that'll never happen so I don't know why I posted.

How amazing would it be to see someone like dave grohl produce it? He just did it for Zac Brown Band and that EP was fuckin great, not to mention the talent in that room would be beyond amazing with him there

I was about to say that haha

As long as it's not Dr. Fucking Luke, I don't care who the producer is.

I think maybe they should get Mutt Lange as a producer. He did AC/DC's Highway to Hell and Back In Black. In Cuatro they mention Back In Black.

I would really love to see Rick Rubin work with Green Day. Very interesting combination.

I would really love to see Rick Rubin work with Green Day. Very interesting combination.

NO... just NO

If it was 90's Rubin hell yeah

Todays Rubin ruins bands...

The Trilogy didn't fail because of the production. Rob is an absolutely world-class producer. Obviously the guitars are lacking on the Trilogy, but I would have thought that was the band's decision, since ultimately they're the ones in control. The one thing that did cross my mind about Rob is how there were tensions between him and the band after American Idiot, and as such I thought maybe that may have resulted in him having less input on the Trilogy, out of not wanting to cause problems etc. I'm probably completely wrong on that front, but I do think it's worth thinking about.

That said, I love Butch's production. It was arguably overproduced, but overall the sound of Breakdown is incredible. The uncompressed remaster, at least. The songs on that album needed the dense sound that the wall of sound production brings, and as such I'd love to see him make a return if it suited the songs. I'd really like to see what he could do with a song like Stay The Night, he could take it from a great song to an absolute masterpiece. So in short, yes.

Steve albini... Now that would be a fucking record!

Hmmm, isn't he known for putting vocals towards the back of the mix? I'm not sure how well that would work, but it's an interesting idea nonetheless.

My dream vote still goes to Bill Stevenson.

Rob's not really to blame for how the trilogy sounded the band wanted to do it differently from reading interviews about Rob is he follows what the band wants to do...

I still feel like Rob could have done more to really distinguish each album (sound-wise) via post production.

Rick Rubin gets bands to write amazing songs and then ruins them with his mastering. Death Magnetic would have been a much better album had Rubin not mixed everything into a super loud oblivion.

Hmmm, isn't he known for putting vocals towards the back of the mix? I'm not sure how well that would work, but it's an interesting idea nonetheless.

I wouldn't say so:

Rick Rubin gets bands to write amazing songs and then ruins them with his mastering. Death Magnetic would have been a much better album had Rubin not mixed everything into a super loud oblivion.

Exactly! I just can't listen to Californication these days, I have to go with live versions. It's not even the mastering, it's the fact everything's in mono as well.

Albini does has a history of not having vocals loud enough but Green Day has buried vocals before on Insomniac...

Steve Albini's production would work great with a record like Insomniac, but it wouldn't go too well with GD's recent output. Still an interesting idea nonetheless. Why don't they just get several different people, like certain songs produced by Rob, some by Butch, some by Bill Stevenson, an Insomniac-style song with Albini, and then have them do an actual collab with Dave Grohl!

Ummmm...... maybe the whole I Heart incident was to blame?

Surely, Rob could have put his foot down and said "no" to the whole 3 albums thing and recommended to create a "compilation" of the best 15 or so.

I wouldn't mind Butch Vig returning but honestly I'd much rather have Butch produce the next Foo Fighters album, since Wasting Light was one of their best albums front-to-back imo. I don't think Rob Cavallo is to blame for the lack of success of Uno, Dos, and Tre. A lack of singles, proper promotion, and some unfocused, similar sounding music is to blame for those albums lack of success. A producer typically is the mastermind of the mixing process and contributes to the arrangement of songs. But to blame him for the albums not doing as well as hoped is absurd. My stance is exactly the same for people who say the reason Metallica's album St. Anger is so poor is due to Bob Rock. The reason I think that album turned out the way it did because of a whirlwind of major problems within and outside of the band during the albums creation. And I think Metallica were pussies for publicly firing and replacing Bob Rock as producer on Death Magnetic. Their reasoning was that the fans didn't like him which is the whole "blame the producer" syndrome.

So would I be against Rob Cavallo producing the next Green Day album, if there is one? Hell no! He's produced their most successful albums Dookie and American Idiot, plus my favorite Green Day album Nimrod... enough said, his track record is great!

Steve Albini's production would work great with a record like Insomniac, but it wouldn't go too well with GD's recent output. Still an interesting idea nonetheless. Why don't they just get several different people, like certain songs produced by Rob, some by Butch, some by Bill Stevenson, an Insomniac-style song with Albini, and then have them do an actual collab with Dave Grohl!

No. No, no, no, no, no. I can't remember the last time I heard a good album that had multiple producers. Generally speaking, it just doesn't work. It definitely doesn't make for a cohesive album. A collab with Dave Grohl would be fucking sweet, though.

No. No, no, no, no, no. I can't remember the last time I heard a good album that had multiple producers. Generally speaking, it just doesn't work. It definitely doesn't make for a cohesive album. A collab with Dave Grohl would be fucking sweet, though.

Dude, I was actually joking. Multiple producers for one album would be complete shit.

Well that was clear... :lol:

You don't always have to make it obvious you're joking. :lol:

Anyways, a ton of producers for one album would just feel like a compilation, it wouldn't have the feel of a proper album. It would be better if they just did like one EP that was entirely produced by Rob or something and then another that was entirely by Butch or someone else. That wouldn't be as bad.

You can't exactly pin the quality or underachievement of the trilogy on one man. Maybe Cavallo could have done better to some people, subjectively, but I felt the amount of work that was put in this trilogy can also show how it's a bit unbalanced, though that's not to say there's nothing I like. I like a lot of ¡TRÉ! because it's closer to the typical Green Day sound compared to the other two albums, but even on them the production has a strong quality, it's a bit unbalanced but there are some good sounding numbers in there. I don't mind Cavallo and I wouldn't mind him doing another album.

As for Butch Vig I wouldn't mind him doing it again, but it really depends on the album direction and not Warner/Reprise/Green Day playing producer roulette. You can say 21stCB is over-produced but it makes sense in the album's music direction, it has many different tones and emotions, and his production quality in that context, in my opinion, is fantastic. I wouldn't mind another but I'd like to see him do a normal album; sound-wise, I find Cavallo's style a bit flatter compared Vig's, I feel his style has more depth.

I really didn't like when Butch Vig produced 21st Century Breakdown. He kind of has a reputation for overdoing it. Maybe that helped with the grand sound of 21CB though. But I don't think he should return. I feel like that was a one time thing, probably due to the tension between Green Day and Cavallo that they mentioned in Cuatro.

Rob Cavallo really isn't to blame for the Trilogy. The Trilogy fell apart due to rehab: simple as that. Sure, Rob could have pushed Green Day in a different direction sound-wise (weak guitars?), but I don't really think that's his role. I think Green Day has earned their right to do whatever they want, and Rob is a close friend who serves as a second opinion since artists can get so caught up in their own music. I think Rob's relationship with Green Day is more casual, like a jam partner. In Cuatro he was playing some of the guitars, laughing along with them. I think he has a lot of admiration for Green Day, and respect for the fact that some of Green Day's albums boosted his own career to the success it is now.

Plus, he produced Dookie and American Idiot, both amazing albums, along with Insomniac and Nimrod. The poor sound of the Trilogy was due to weak lyrics, repetitive style, and weak guitar tone. That was Green Day's creative choice.

The problem was there was "Too Much Too Soon." Nobody really knew how to promote the albums. Everything about the trilogy was a disaster. Great stuff but it needed to be a double-album. Cut eight of the songs and releasing one album would have suited them better.

I talked to a DJ for a radio station in Columbus and his thoughts were that they had no way of promoting the trilogy and the record company wasn't prepared for it at all.

I really didn't like when Butch Vig produced 21st Century Breakdown. He kind of has a reputation for overdoing it. Maybe that helped with the grand sound of 21CB though. But I don't think he should return. I feel like that was a one time thing, probably due to the tension between Green Day and Cavallo that they mentioned in Cuatro.

Rob Cavallo really isn't to blame for the Trilogy. The Trilogy fell apart due to rehab: simple as that. Sure, Rob could have pushed Green Day in a different direction sound-wise (weak guitars?), but I don't really think that's his role. I think Green Day has earned their right to do whatever they want, and Rob is a close friend who serves as a second opinion since artists can get so caught up in their own music. I think Rob's relationship with Green Day is more casual, like a jam partner. In Cuatro he was playing some of the guitars, laughing along with them. I think he has a lot of admiration for Green Day, and respect for the fact that some of Green Day's albums boosted his own career to the success it is now.

Plus, he produced Dookie and American Idiot, both amazing albums, along with Insomniac and Nimrod. The poor sound of the Trilogy was due to weak lyrics, repetitive style, and weak guitar tone. That was Green Day's creative choice.

One role of a producer is to give input to the songs not just sit and let a band just do whatever and be a yes man...

Sorry, two topics in one thread, but they go hand-in-hand. I know a lot of people didn't like Butch Vig and hated 21st Century Breakdown. But after seeing Rob Cavallo return for the Trilogy, what do you guys think? Was Rob Cavallo a problem with the Trilogy? Is he to blame for the Trilogy not being liked by you guys? What if Butch Vig did the next album? I'm interested to hear your thoughts on these topics.

Are you serious? First of all, I'm fuckin tired of all the trilogy hate, those are three damn good albums. Maybe not their best work, but definitely not their worst. Second, you do realize Cavallo produced both Dookie and AI right? I'm pretty sure he's produced everything but the lookout stuff, Warning and 21CB so he's earned his chops. Why not blame Jason while you're at it!

Are you serious? First of all, I'm fuckin tired of all the trilogy hate, those are three damn good albums. Maybe not their best work, but definitely not their worst. Second, you do realize Cavallo produced both Dookie and AI right? I'm pretty sure he's produced everything but the lookout stuff, Warning and 21CB so he's earned his chops. Why not blame Jason while you're at it!

Just cause Rob produced Dookie or AI doesnt mean everything he produces will have the same quality as past albums...

No it doesn't, but just because he produced those three not the one before it doesn't make him to blame for the trilogy's failure.

Archived