Would You Like Butch Vig to Produce Next Album/Is Rob Cavallo to Blame for Trilogy's Lack of Success?

Todd

Would you like to see Butch Vig return as a producer for Green Day's next album?  

161 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Trilogy was unsuccessful because of Billie's rehab which resulted in absolutely zero promotion. Had he been healthy and had they made their usual TV rounds, etc. then the Trilogy would have been more successful. I personally think that the Trilogy was fucking awesome and would have struck home with a lot of people had they actually known about it.

Agreed. The lack of promotion hurt way more than anything else. They could have released some great songs, made some great music videos, then played those great songs all over TV with some much better success. The lack of promotion hurt way more than any production.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is so true. If someone had asked 'Do you think Green Day should make a rock opera?' before American Idiot, I'm pretty sure a lot of people would have said hell no. Sometimes new means better than ever :happy: I'm interested to see who they go for this time around.

Yes but though a trilogy is too much and I thought this long before it comes out like ''what ?????? a trilogy, like, one, two, three ??!''.

New yes, but not that huge... Huge things aren't always the best and AI was just an exception, imo. :)

For the next, I hope it will be something more simple...

The last thing Green Day needs is to give Billie even more creative control.

I think they showed with Warning they're very capable of doing it. But I agree that having that 4th or 5th person in the room is helpful for someone like Billie who is constantly writing music.

Agreed. The lack of promotion hurt way more than anything else. They could have released some great songs, made some great music videos, then played those great songs all over TV with some much better success. The lack of promotion hurt way more than any production.

I agree. Although I do think the project being split into three albums with separate release dates probably didn't help either :/

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Vig return, but another Cavallo produced album wouldn't be bad either. I don't think it matters that much, just as long as there's someone there to filter Billie a bit.

Secondly, I don't think Cavallo in any way impacted the sales of the trilogy. It's lack of success was based on bad release dates and the lack of a band to promote it.

I don't know if Rob handles promotion, but thats the reason the trilogy failed in my eyes. They were supposed to do stuff but rehab and other stuff got in the way, nothing more to it than that.

I loved the sound of 21stcbd though, so I wouldn't mind Butch being producer at all, even though it seems that the band has an undying chemistry with Rob.

I agree. Although I do think the project being split into three albums with separate release dates probably didn't help either :/

It was going to be hard to do from the start. Rehab just further derailed it though.

Yes but though a trilogy is too much and I thought this long before it comes out like ''what ?????? a trilogy, like, one, two, three ??!''.

New yes, but not that huge... Huge things aren't always the best and AI was just an exception, imo. :)

For the next, I hope it will be something more simple...

I wasn't talking about huge, just something new :happy: Producer-wise.

I wasn't talking about huge, just something new :happy: Producer-wise.

Yeah you're right, for AI tho, it wasn't ''huge'' (media made it huge), but the trilogy, yes... a triple album !

All hte conversations related to Green Day records make me more and more impatient about the next record. Aw.

Rob's not really to blame for how the trilogy sounded the band wanted to do it differently from reading interviews about Rob is he follows what the band wants to do...

Where as Butch will make suggestions and is very hands on type producer

As far as production goes, I think Rob could have done better, but I think the main problem with the trilogy was it's lack of commercial success. But I suppose you could blame Rob Cavallo for that, because the trilogy REALLY could've been promoted more.

Although Vig does over produce a bit, I wouldn't mind him returning (a radical proposition, but maybe a little over-production is what the band needs).

But there's also hope that Cavallo learned from the trilogy, and could do a little better.

I'm sure the next album will not be over-produced if the guys say they don't want to. And I'm sure they don't want.

Lol @ In Utero

In Utero was Nirvana's best studio album

Tho I dont think Albini would go well with GD

As far as production goes, I think Rob could have done better, but I think the main problem with the trilogy was it's lack of commercial success. But I suppose you could blame Rob Cavallo for that, because the trilogy REALLY could've been promoted more.

Although Vig does over produce a bit, I wouldn't mind him returning (a radical proposition, but maybe a little over-production is what the band needs).

But there's also hope that Cavallo learned from the trilogy, and could do a little better.

?? Cant blame Rob on the promotions...

After Billie's comments about loving shitty sounding records and wanting to record another rock opera but with low-fi technology...I don't think overproduction is something we'll have to worry about next time. Who knows :eyebrows:

After Billie's comments about loving shitty sounding records and wanting to record another rock opera but with low-fi technology...I don't think overproduction is something we'll have to worry about next time. Who knows :eyebrows:

To be fair he been saying that for the last 10 years...

Lol @ In Utero

you're laughing at In Utero, whaaaaat?!

he has but I think he'll actually mean it this time, with the commercial failure of the trilogy, and Billie constantly posting about the Everlys and cassettes and stuff. I have a feeling the next album will be much more low-fi

Yeah I never take anything as gospel :happy: Time will tell I guess...

you're laughing at In Utero, whaaaaat?!

he has but I think he'll actually mean it this time, with the commercial failure of the trilogy, and Billie constantly posting about the Everlys and cassettes and stuff. I have a feeling the next album will be much more low-fi

The trilogy was set up as a faux lo fi if people hate the fake way I doubt they will like the real way

What I want to see most from the next album is a larger role in the writing process for Mr. Cuatro, Jason White. I'm not sure how much input he's had in the past, but if he really is the fourth member, then it would be great to hear some different guitar philosophies and composition.

The trilogy was set up as a faux lo fi if people hate the fake way I doubt they will like the real way

That's a pretty silly thing to say. Just because I don't like Velveeta doesn't mean I won't like real cheese.

I think it'd be cool to see them work with someone completely new. However, if we're just keeping it to a Butch vs. Cavallo argument, my vote is with Cavallo. He's done some amazing things with the band, and it seems he knows them very well as people and musicians. I feel it'd be easier for him to give Green Day ideas and produce a record than Butch, who only worked with them on 21st Century Breakdown, which was a fairly unsuccessful album when compared to Green Day's other records.

What I want to see most from the next album is a larger role in the writing process for Mr. Cuatro, Jason White. I'm not sure how much input he's had in the past, but if he really is the fourth member, then it would be great to hear some different guitar philosophies and composition.

Like have some of his original songs and have him singing, like on Pinhead Gunpowder?

I love 21 CB and don't care too much about the Trilogy, but I get sentimental about Rob Cavallo cause he's been with them from the beginning. I don't really blame him for the Trilogy, he's always let Green Day do what they want.

That's a pretty silly thing to say. Just because I don't like Velveeta doesn't mean I won't like real cheese.

Not really... if you take the trilogy with its faux lo fi production style and say they really did do it lo fi for real the sound difference would not be really noticeable... of course folks here also dont like the trilogy for lyrics and other...

Archived