Would You Like Butch Vig to Produce Next Album/Is Rob Cavallo to Blame for Trilogy's Lack of Success?

Todd

Would you like to see Butch Vig return as a producer for Green Day's next album?  

161 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think the samples on HDTracks are compressed too actually, which makes them totally pointless. Never understood why they did that, it's not a reasonable representation of what you get when you buy, and it probably puts a lot of people off.

Didn't realize that. Crap it did put me off.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They even had Jason around in the recording process this time, apart from a few tracks, saw nothing wrong with the production. In fact, I haven't seen that many solos in any Green Day record.The quality of the work had nothing do do with the failure.When Dos and Tre were released, the ONLY word we heard from the band were instagram posts and a few trailers that even a college fangirl could outdo.

Before the trilogy, ALL Green Day albums produced by Rob were not only successful but well received and produced. Apart from Warning(where he was just the executive producer), all their records went Multi-Platinum.

Conclusion: No matter how creative Green Day members are, whenever they were given a free hand, like in Warning or the Trilogy, things didn't turn out the way they should have. I don't care if its Rob or Butch(who has done some good work with Nirvana and FF), all I'm saying is that they need to fucking listen to what their producer is saying as well.

I really loved the production of 21st Century Breakdown when I first heard it, but once I heard those songs live I could never go back to hearing them the same way again. The trilogy sounded ok, but like someone else had said earlier they should have done something different for the songs that called for it instead of giving all 3 albums the exact same production quality. It works for a lot of the songs, but a song like Carpe Diem could have benefited from some louder guitars . . as could Oh Love. Also, Nightlife really makes me sick to my stomach. As does Troublemaker. The trilogy is easily some of the best and some of the worst work Green Day has ever put out, and Im not too sure Rob is too blame for that. For the next album I'd like to see them do what Billie wast talking about in the Rolling Stone article, recording an epic album live in the studio. But please . . . no rock operas ; )

• 2 weeks later...

As some other people stated, the trilogy wasn't as successful as it could have been because of Billie Joe needing to go to rehab. I personally really enjoyed the trilogy. There were what 36 songs? With that many songs, you can't expect them to all be incredible. There were however some great songs (in my opinion) such as, X-Kid, Stray Heart, the Forgotten, Rusty James, DRB, Nuclear Family, and Carpe Diem to name a few. Putting out that many songs gave them a lot of room to experiment with slightly different songs like Drama Queen, Amy, and Kill the DJ. If we knew how many songs they write for their albums and then the songs that actually get in, it would make sense as to why some on the trilogy is slightly lower quality than the rest of their career.

I honestly don't have a clear answer for this. Rob Cavallo is normally a great producer, but why did he allow Green Day to put songs like "Fell For You", "Rusty James" and "Ashley" on the records in their current form? The trilogy feels like there was no pre-production stage whatsoever, like Cavallo was to scared to confront the band about flaws in the songs. And why did he let them use clean, weak guitar tones? A lot of songs have no power to them. However, he did produce everything from Dookie to American Idiot and they were all great albums. I'd personally love to see Bitch Vig produce another Green Day record because aside from the over compression, 21st century breakdown sounded fine to me. I honestly don't see how it was over produced, seriously, compare it with an old Bon Jovi record. At the same time I would like to see what another producer could come up with. I'm intrigued by Steve Albini's method of production, but I don't think he would suit Green Day. Green Day maybe lean too much on the pop rock side of pop punk to suit low lever production now. I can't imagine them with an "In Utero" style of mix. Then again I could be wrong, maybe it would be the perfect match

How amazing would it be to see someone like dave grohl produce it? He just did it for Zac Brown Band and that EP was fuckin great, not to mention the talent in that room would be beyond amazing with him there

Holy shit I'd love to see that! Dave Grohl would probably do a great job.

How much influence do producers actually have in regards to how the record turns out? As far as I can tell they're there as a helping hand, someone to bounce ideas off and get honest critique from regarding the songs, the recording, the mixing, etc. I don't know a lot though.

The idea is that they supervise the pre-production, recording stages, mixing and mastering of the record. Some producers even do the mixing and mastering themselves. They actually get a huge say in what the album will sound like, which is fine if they're a good producer. If not then we get a generic sounding record.

The idea is that they supervise the pre-production, recording stages, mixing and mastering of the record. Some producers even do the mixing and mastering themselves. They actually get a huge say in what the album will sound like, which is fine if they're a good producer. If not then we get a generic sounding record.

Naw producers dont do the mastering...

I'm actually against producers who mix their own material...

Naw producers dont do the mastering...

I'm actually against producers who mix their own material...

Really? Surely they at least observe the process? I see where you're coming from with your opinion on producers who mix things themselves though. In order to mix effectively you need to listen to something with fresh ears, and if a producer's already heard the rough mixes and been at the recording process, his ears aren't fresh to the music. Actually, I think I'm with you on that.

Really? Surely they at least observe the process? I see where you're coming from with your opinion on producers who mix things themselves though. In order to mix effectively you need to listen to something with fresh ears, and if a producer's already heard the rough mixes and been at the recording process, his ears aren't fresh to the music. Actually, I think I'm with you on that.

Some producers observe the mastering some dont just depends on the situation and what there bookings are

For mastering stage the person who masters will begin the process with or without the band and escp in today's time will email back and forth if changes are to be made

I think they should just produce it themselves and then have it professionally mixed. Do some live in the studio kinda shit.

I think they should just produce it themselves and then have it professionally mixed.

So do another Warning I wouldnt be opposed

No.

The reason for this is Rob Cavallo produced both Dookie and American Idiot, and they were both massive successes. Saying that, it seems weird that Green Day's two most successful albums were both made 10 years apart from each other. Maybe we'll have another big one this year, who knows?

I want Dappy to produce it.

If Dappy produced the trilogy: Stay the na na night

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to the live versions of the Trilogy songs on Cuatro makes me wish that they just produced it themselves with the help of Chris Duggan. The live versions are far superior. Also, that trippy reggae version of Nightlife . . holy shit, my least favorite Green Day song had the potential to be my favorite.

Listening to the live versions of the Trilogy songs on Cuatro makes me wish that they just produced it themselves with the help of Chris Duggan. The live versions are far superior. Also, that trippy reggae version of Nightlife . . holy shit, my least favorite Green Day song had the potential to be my favorite.

What is this trippy reggae version you speak of?

Its on Cuatro, you can hear them jamming it. It sounds fucking awesome.

Archived