Would You Like Butch Vig to Produce Next Album/Is Rob Cavallo to Blame for Trilogy's Lack of Success?

Todd

Would you like to see Butch Vig return as a producer for Green Day's next album?  

161 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sorry, two topics in one thread, but they go hand-in-hand. I know a lot of people didn't like Butch Vig and hated 21st Century Breakdown. But after seeing Rob Cavallo return for the Trilogy, what do you guys think? Was Rob Cavallo a problem with the Trilogy? Is he to blame for the Trilogy not being liked by you guys? What if Butch Vig did the next album? I'm interested to hear your thoughts on these topics.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, and kind of.

I think Rob is still a better producer. I feel like 21CB was over produced. I think the trilogy's main problem (for me) was the guitars felt lacking.

But I still think some of Green Day's best work has been with Rob. I think it would have been better if he had pushed them to make one single strong album. But I'm also not sure if any producer could have done that.

Idk, doesn't really matter for me.... it's not Butch Vig fault if 21st CB is like it is, right ? Or I don't know how all this stuff works ??

Idk, doesn't really matter for me.... it's not Butch Vig fault if 21st CB is like it is, right ? Or I don't know how all this stuff works ??

Vig has a reputation for over-production.

Butch's work was a tad over-produced, so I don't think I want him to come back.

As for the Trilogy being Rob's fault. I don't think so. We don't know how much input he had in the selection of songs and the overall quality control (which was the main problem with the Trilogy), probably very little.

The fact that the trilogy wasn't good is to blame for its lack of success. Production is only a small piece of that.

Vig has a reputation for over-production.

Ah yes and it's confirmed with 21st CB, I see.... thank you... And then, why Cavallo could have done something about the trilogy ?

If it was up to me, I would pair Green Day with Bill Stevenson for their next record.

But otherwise, stick to Rob. His production failed the Trilogy a tad, but overall he's always captured Green Day's sound the best.

The Trilogy was unsuccessful because of Billie's rehab which resulted in absolutely zero promotion. Had he been healthy and had they made their usual TV rounds, etc. then the Trilogy would have been more successful. I personally think that the Trilogy was fucking awesome and would have struck home with a lot of people had they actually known about it.

Ah yes and it's confirmed with 21st CB, I see.... thank you... And then, why Cavallo could have done something about the trilogy ?

Well, if he's producing it, he has a lot of influence over what the album is like, but I feel he gave Green Day too much creative freedom on the album and wasn't strict enough with them. Record labels wouldn't let just any band make a trilogy, but since Green Day is so huge, they got special permission to do so. But since the trilogy had low numbers, the record label may not be so lenient next time Green Day wants to do something "different". I think Rob should've pushed them to only make one album.

I would love to see Butch return for another album. I personally loved 21st Century Breakdown and it is my favorite album of all time. Another album with that production would be pretty cool. As for Rob being to blame for the Trilogy's lack of success... I would say no, even though he did produce it the band still has a huge say in what songs go on the albums and the overall sound of those songs in general.

Eh, not sure how'd I feel about Butch returning. Obviously he did great on records like Nevermind and Wasting Light, but for some reason I don't think his production works with Green Day, don't know why.

As for it being Rob's fault, no. The thing about the trilogy is the songwriting, I think it's probably some of Billie's worst songwriting. I also don't really dig the guitar sound of the trilogy. I think it's the band's fault the trilogy was a failure, not Rob! Rob produced some of Green Day's best work!

Why not go with someone new?

Because nobody likes "new". If it was a friend of the band or someone I've heard of, I wouldn't mind, but I've never heard of before? That'd be scary

I like Butch Vig's production and would not mind if he produced another Green Day album. I don't think Rob is to blame for the trilogy's lack of success. Double albums are a bad idea so in hindsight to try a trilogy was just fuckin mental but credit to them for being brave enough to give it ago.

I don't believe it really matters who the producer of an album is, if the music the band creates is good enough it will be successful.

The Trilogy was unsuccessful because of Billie's rehab which resulted in absolutely zero promotion. Had he been healthy and had they made their usual TV rounds, etc. then the Trilogy would have been more successful. I personally think that the Trilogy was fucking awesome and would have struck home with a lot of people had they actually known about it.

Agree with you, but it's sad to see that the guys STILL need promotion, after beeing around since ninety fucking eighty fucking eight.... I mean when you're a fan d'you need to see a tv show to buy their CD ? I don't get it...

And same, it's weird to see people reactions, I mean, I felt like people thought ''oh no it's official that man is alcoholic ? Damn i'll don't buy their records anymore !''

I don't understand.

Because nobody likes "new". If it was a friend of the band or someone I've heard of, I wouldn't mind, but I've never heard of before? That'd be scary

Scary, yes. But it could also be a good thing.

Agree with you, but it's sad to see that the guys STILL need promotion, after beeing around since ninety fucking eighty fucking eight.... I mean when you're a fan d'you need to see a tv show to buy their CD ? I don't get it...

And same, it's weird to see people reaction, I mean, I felt like people thought ''oh no it's official that man is alcoholic ? Damn i'll don't buy their records anymore !''

I don't understand.

Green Day are a cross-generation band. They're always going to need promotion. Old fans, whether from the old days, 1994, 2004, and all the stranglers in between will always pick up their stuff. But all those drop off/causal fans in between? That's a huge and forgetful market that always has to be tapped on the shoulder no matter what.

Scary, yes. But it could also be a good thing.

This is so true. If someone had asked 'Do you think Green Day should make a rock opera?' before American Idiot, I'm pretty sure a lot of people would have said hell no. Sometimes new means better than ever :happy: I'm interested to see who they go for this time around.

I maintain that the "overproduction" on 21CB was entirely necessary for the kind of album it was. I would love to see Vig return.

For me personally, I'd like to see Rob produce the next album, and no way was he to blame for the Trilogy, because the Trilogy was awesome, the blame lies with lack of promotion I feel. So for me I'd love to see Rob carry on, I wouldn't mind Butch, but I'd prefer Rob.

It would be cool if Billie himself was the producer, hes done a great job producing for Emilys Army

It would be cook if Billie himself was the producer, hes done a great job producing for Emilys Army

The last thing Green Day needs is to give Billie even more creative control.

Archived