Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

Wait a minute, Billie is old?

No way. To me, the cartoon-eyed Pekingese-like kid from Basket Case and Longview that I had an innocent crush on in 1995 is the same person as the one who smiled to me when I was crying in 2013.

• Like 1

Probably late to the party

I remember seeing a video from Irving Plaza where Billie takes some pills onstage. Might be the pro-shot footage but can't tell for sure - I watched it 2 years ago. It made me feel unconfortable but the rest of the gig was fine. Also, at the very end (99 Revs.) when he handed the guitar to a roadie and was slowly walking away I noticed he suddenly looked more worn out than usual but I doubt I would have noticed had I been there. In the hindsight and properly overanalysing - yes i can see a man on the verge of losing it. But his performance wasn't seriously impaired, no embarrasing antics were involved...it was a normal (under the circumstances surprisingly) good gig. No big deal. On the other hand, IHeart was a pain to watch. I had an hour of spare time at school and spent it cringing and pretending I were deaf.

I think I know what part you are referring to --- although I thought it was a gel packet, like athletes use for energy. There are lots of little instances where he looks a bit off looking at it in hindsight. There's one in Oh Love that looks like he's trying not to puke ( to me, anyway.)

(Referring to the Irving Plaza show if that wasn't clear.)

Edited by amberwhite
  • Like 1

To be fair that video really is the whatest of all the fucks.

Oh yeah, video is indefensible. Song has its moments (namely the intro).

The song is awesome, but my favourite bit of it is that single line sung in falsetto.

I agree. I never understood why people don't like it. I think it is great and was a good choice for a single

• Like 1

I agree. I never understood why people don't like it. I think it is great and was a good choice for a single

Good choice for a ballad single, godawful choice for lead single. How they didn't choose Nuclear Family or Missing You is beyond me.

• Like 3

Good choice for a ballad single, godawful choice for lead single. How they didn't choose Nuclear Family or Missing You is beyond me.

I wouldn't call oh love a ballad. It is a slower song but not exactly a ballad. Missing you would not have been a lead single since it was on Tre. I'm not a big fan of nuclear family. If you want a higher energy song as lead single I would have gone for stay the night or rusty james first. But oh love is different than most pop songs which is why I think it was a good choice. Also remember it's not normally the band's choice but the record companys

I don't know how many people have this mindset, but I think a lot of people will agree with this.

Kerplunk is where Green Day really started to sound like Green Day. I mean, Dookie for me is really Kerplunk, but not quite as good (No hate on Dookie, I just like Kerplunk more). Insomniac is the same thing, but much darker. And Nimrod is like they combined it with Warning. 39/Smooth is in its own category.
The guitar work and bass work is a lot like what we hear on Dookie: fucking amazing. It's a very faced paced album, like Dookie. The drumming honestly reminds me of Insomniac.

I feel like with a lot of the 90s' albums, they took a lot of influences from Kerplunk.

Kerplunk is their most significant album, in my opinion. Not only what's up there ^, but because it got them so popular. And it deserves more recognition for being so fucking amazing.

• Like 2

Here's a random thought. My favorite guitar work is on 1039 SOSH. The solos kick ass. It's amazing how talented the guys were at such a young age. Some bands are kinda rough in the beginning stages and get better, but I feel like with Green Day, they were always so good at what they do.

• Like 1

John is bae and there ain't nothing you can say.

Yes, there is.

I SAW HIM FIRST. :P

Castaway live is so fucking badass :wub:

Reminds me of high school and a friend who was obsessed with that song to the point where I got sick of it and skipped it, the same way I would skip Android because of another friend. XD

• Hermione changed the title to Random Green Day Thoughts
  • Liam unpinned this topic
  • Hermione pinned this topic