Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

What's up with Billie Joe willing to be friendzoned in the trilogy ?? I mean, Lady Cobra : "I just want to be your friend", Amy : "Do you wanna be a friend of mine ?", it's rather strange when all along the albums his libido is never satisfied.

Well as long as your friends think pleasing you sexually is what friends do, then it's not so bad.

• Like 1

For the same reason Billie Joe says 99 Revolutions is one of the best song he has ever written and Horseshoes and Handgrenades almost never made the album because he thinks it sucks.

First one has already been corrected but just want to point out he never said H&H sucks :lol:, it was just a song he'd written a while before and Butch Vig's idea to use it for the album (he helped a lot with that since they apparently had about 100 songs to choose from), and there was one interview where he was surprised that Tre picked it as his favourite song from the album to play live. He hasn't actually said anything negative about it.

Btw I've searched around and watched a ton of 21st Cb era interviews trying to find the one where Tre picked it and Billie was surprised but I can't find it, don't think it's still around :(

What's up with Billie Joe willing to be friendzoned in the trilogy ?? I mean, Lady Cobra : "I just want to be your friend", Amy : "Do you wanna be a friend of mine ?", it's rather strange when all along the albums his libido is never satisfied.

He doesn't really mean friend :P, it's an old fashioned/coy way of saying he wants to get with her. Or in the case of Amy I think he was saying he'd like to have been friends with her so he could've been there for her when she was going through all the problems she had.

• Like 1

He doesn't really mean friend :P, it's an old fashioned/coy way of saying he wants to get with her. Or in the case of Amy I think he was saying he'd like to have been friends with her so he could've been there for her when she was going through all the problems she had.

Hahaha I really didn't know that, it makes sense now, trilogy main topic is preserved :P

First one has already been corrected but just want to point out he never said H&H sucks :lol:, it was just a song he'd written a while before and Butch Vig's idea to use it for the album (he helped a lot with that since they apparently had about 100 songs to choose from), and there was one interview where he was surprised that Tre picked it as his favourite song from the album to play live. He hasn't actually said anything negative about it.

Btw I've searched around and watched a ton of 21st Cb era interviews trying to find the one where Tre picked it and Billie was surprised but I can't find it, don't think it's still around :(

There's a track-by-track article floating about somewhere (from a while before the album came out - it included Drama Queen and had EJN titled as March of the Dogs) where Billie seemed embarrassed about the lyrics of H&H and said something like 'I'm not sure about that song yet'. Can't remember what magazine it was from but I've seen it posted around here before

There's a track-by-track article floating about somewhere (from a while before the album came out - it included Drama Queen and had EJN titled as March of the Dogs) where Billie seemed embarrassed about the lyrics of H&H and said something like 'I'm not sure about that song yet'. Can't remember what magazine it was from but I've seen it posted around here before

Interesting! Seems it's not a favourite of his then. Bit of a shame as it's awesome, when I first heard it I hoped it'd become the new St Jimmy live.

• Like 2

Interesting! Seems it's not a favourite of his then. Bit of a shame as it's awesome, when I first heard it I hoped it'd become the new St Jimmy live.

I agree. I love the song, the lyrics are so good, but very, very angry. Maybe they were actually too angry for him!

I agree. I love the song, the lyrics are so good, but very, very angry. Maybe they were actually too angry for him!

Yeah could be! Seems like it was quite a heavy and difficult process making the album and the writing was very personal and emotionally invested at times, he's said for example that he doesn't like to listen to Restless Heart Syndrome just because it was kind of an ordeal to make, he could easily have had negative thoughts about other songs as well. Guess it's not a surprise he's more into the still badass and angry but a bit more playful St Jimmy.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this is the interview you're thinking of but there's a similar question asked in this one. It's around the 7:30 mark, and Tre mentions H&H :D

• Like 2

I'm not sure if this is the interview you're thinking of but there's a similar question asked in this one. It's around the 7:30 mark, and Tre mentions H&H :D

Holy shit I was so sure it wasn't that interview I skipped it and watched like 20 others looking for it :lol:. I remembered what the question was wrong but yes that's it, thanks for finding it! Wasn't very extreme but I thought he seemed surprised haha.

Also all the fan questions in that interview were from GDCers :D, we'd done other cool stuff with that radio station before so the interviewer guy came and made a thread here for us to submit the questions. I was one of the many people who asked about Foxboro Hot Tubs lol, and they did play a Foxboro show a few months later when they toured here so yay.

http://www.greendayauthority.com/articles/115/7/

Interesting little read, forgot 'Mass Hysteria' was going to be 'This Riot Sucks'... I quite like that

Thanks for linking that, I hadn't seen it before.

Also, I wonder if that "wall of TV screens" line perhaps influenced the wall of TV screens in the AI musical...

Holy shit I was so sure it wasn't that interview I skipped it and watched like 20 others looking for it :lol:. I remembered what the question was wrong but yes that's it, thanks for finding it! Wasn't very extreme but I thought he seemed surprised haha.

Also all the fan questions in that interview were from GDCers :D, we'd done other cool stuff with that radio station before so the interviewer guy came and made a thread here for us to submit the questions. I was one of the many people who asked about Foxboro Hot Tubs lol, and they did play a Foxboro show a few months later when they toured here so yay.

Oh wow! That's really cool of them to do that :D

Since there isn't much else to talk about, there is a line in Jesus of Suburbia that always confused me.

"We are the kids of war and peace, from Anaheim to the middle east"

Why Anaheim? Did it just fit the song or is it a Disney reference? If it is a Disney reference is it a reference to kids or corporate greed?

Since there isn't much else to talk about, there is a line in Jesus of Suburbia that always confused me.

"We are the kids of war and peace, from Anaheim to the middle east"

Why Anaheim? Did it just fit the song or is it a Disney reference? If it is a Disney reference is it a reference to kids or corporate greed?

Anaheim, California

Anaheim, California

Yes I know that. But why Anaheim. What is the significance. All I can think of is a reference to Disney.

• Like 1

Yes I know that. But why Anaheim. What is the significance. All I can think of is a reference to Disney.

If I remember correctly Ocean Way is in Anaheim maybe it was written there

• Like 2

If I remember correctly Ocean Way is in Anaheim maybe it was written there

That's pretty interesting thought. I just googled the studio.

I have actually thought the same thing.

In this line the middle east is being referred to as being the worst place you can possibly be in the world. While Anaheim the location of Disneyland, which calls itself "The Happiest Place On Earth". So Anaheim was used as it can be seen as the exact opposite to the middle east. Anaheim = Peace, Middle East = War. This is the way I take it anyway.

That was actually what I was thinking as well. Just wasn't sure if it could possibly be a reference to corporate greed as well

• Like 1

I drew immediate parallels between Dos and SD&R on a couple songs, but now that I'm listening to them back to back, even when it's a stretch, this really SHOULD be titled FBHT: Part Dos :lol:
Wow! That's Loud and 27th Ave Shuffle are the same song. I literally sing them interchangeably by accident.

Also, did anyone else ever notice that almost every song on the Stop Drop and Roll album uses the same notes but in different strumming patterns?
(ex: Broadway and Red Tide)

• Like 3

That album is pure gold. If they could sit down and write a full album in one night, completely smashed, I can only imagine how awesome of a record they're capable of making with more time/effot.
(Hold the Trilogy jokes, plz :lol: )

I went to buy a Mother Mary 7-inch from ebay today for $7 (plus shipping), and i was about to press the confirm button when I realized that it was a 2009 reissue (as opposed to the "limited" numbered 2008 issues). Does this officially make me an elitist? I feel kind of dirty admitting it. But obviously people must agree with me since the 2008 ones are going for $30+ and the 2009 was under $10.

• Like 3

That album is pure gold. If they could sit down and write a full album in one night, completely smashed, I can only imagine how awesome of a record they're capable of making with more time/effot.

(Hold the Trilogy jokes, plz :lol: )

I went to buy a Mother Mary 7-inch from ebay today for $7 (plus shipping), and i was about to press the confirm button when I realized that it was a 2009 reissue (as opposed to the "limited" numbered 2008 issues). Does this officially make me an elitist? I feel kind of dirty admitting it. But obviously people must agree with me since the 2008 ones are going for $30+ and the 2009 was under $10.

Haha I am the same way when it comes to purchasing albums. & yes, I agree, Stop Drop and Roll is gold! Listening to it right now actually! :D

• Like 1

• Hermione changed the title to Random Green Day Thoughts
  • Liam unpinned this topic
  • Hermione pinned this topic