Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

4 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

My 18 year old just told me she thinks the 5 Seconds of Summer cover of American Idiot has more “punk energy” than the original. 😭 I’ve failed as a parent

why is this the most hilarious thing ever 😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, duckez said:

why is this the most hilarious thing ever 😂

I’ve now gotten back at her by shaming her publicly so it’s all good 🙂

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

My 18 year old just told me she thinks the 5 Seconds of Summer cover of American Idiot has more “punk energy” than the original. 😭 I’ve failed as a parent

Clearly you have. You need to have them listening to lullaby renditions and versions of GD when they’re babies. Then gradually let them listen to GD. Take them to concerts and stuff. Otherwise they become mainstream zombies who only like *shudders* mainstream music. Or do what my parents did and let them listen to GD once on the way to preschool, then let them listen to pop and stuff. Then introduce them to Linkin Park, which the child will look up, and see GD in related searches. The child will look at that and be like: “Oh crap! I have not been living. Oh Lord God above forgive me I beg you.” Either way they will become superfans. 

• Like 1

I was listening to Bullet in a bible front to back for the first time after quiete a while, and now I think that, unless something really worth it comes out of the new record, they should put back AI as the opener and toss fucking KYE. That song is like a flamethrower if used in that way IMHO. 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2019 at 1:09 PM, Beerjeezus said:

If... imagine not having to sell your labor. He's a lucky person. :P

Dude. If I didn't have to literally sell my soul and self worth at a pizza place that would be the best. 

34 minutes ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

Dude. If I didn't have to literally sell my soul and self worth at a pizza place that would be the best. 

i know. i'm not jealous of much but not having a boss is right there

21 minutes ago, solongfromthestars said:

People miss the point of Drama Queen. It's about "obsession with celebrity" (source). The lyrics are embarrassing and creepy because the way people speak about celebrities is embarrassing and creepy. It's meant to make the listener uncomfortable. It fits so well into the trilogy's themes about an age gap relationship because the woman in particular would be spoken of in a patronising and creepy way. I actually like it but that belongs in unpopular opinions :P 

Actually you should post this in the Nimrods podcast thread they are discussing that this week. I agree with you, the song makes me think of Miley Cyrus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, solongfromthestars said:

People miss the point of Drama Queen. It's about "obsession with celebrity" (source). The lyrics are embarrassing and creepy because the way people speak about celebrities is embarrassing and creepy. It's meant to make the listener uncomfortable. It fits so well into the trilogy's themes about an age gap relationship because the woman in particular would be spoken of in a patronising and creepy way. I actually like it but that belongs in unpopular opinions :P 

I read that at the time but had forgotten about it.  That's a pretty brave road to take and very difficult to get it come off.  I find Drama Queen a little disturbing,  so that may indicates it's doing a good job.   I never thought the blood was meant to be menstrual which I have heard some think.  I always thought the Daddy's little bundle of joy was written in the same way as daddy's little psycho in Bang Bang, it's not about him or someone close to him but third person,  yes, someone like Miley Cyrus would fit.  Difficult to write a song about being embarrassing and creepy without being embarrassing and creepy!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, solongfromthestars said:

I actually like it but that belongs in unpopular opinions :P

I love it (and although I get the cringe it never bothered me) especially for his voice. Just shows how his voice was the best (to my ears) starting with the trilogy. When I listen to 21CB and then the trilogy I feel like he's finished puberty (as for the voice) just before 40 :P

Not bad, I can definitely hear some Longview, Holiday, Jesus Of Suburbia, a tiny little bit of Homecoming or Restless Heart Syndrome at the end and maybe more surprisingly, quite a lotof Jaded in there as inspiration. 

41 minutes ago, solongfromthestars said:

Yeah, like around the time Drama Queen and She's A Saint Not A Celebrity were written, Billie had been defending Britney Spears (although that's another thing I remember but can't find any record of now). I don't interpret the blood as explicitly menstrual, but as a metaphor for how young the subject is when people start obsessing over her, or just how people blatantly discuss intimate things about celebrities. Definitely difficult to pull off - I'm thinking of writing a novel about a stalker but it has to be perfectly executed or people will think it's autobiographical!

I see it as a double meaning - a deliberately creepy way to say she's young and also old enough to suffer because she's expected to put up with the way she's treated.

I remember I saw a quote about the Britney Spears thing, but I can't remember where it came from. 

• Like 3

Maybe it's just 'cause it's late at night but I'm listening to A Hard Day's Night and I am finding it fucking hilarious how utterly, shamelessly Hold On is a rework of I Should Have Known Better, every time the harmonica comes in I start laughing.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Liam unpinned this topic