Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

I often wonder if Green Day's fan base is getting larger or smaller overall. Acknowledging that during album release and tour times there will be more active fans. If you were to plot the stats more long term, which way would the trend be going? Up or down? 

What do you think? 

3 hours ago, Goofygoldfish said:

I often wonder if Green Day's fan base is getting larger or smaller overall. Acknowledging that during album release and tour times there will be more active fans. If you were to plot the stats more long term, which way would the trend be going? Up or down? 

What do you think? 

Sadly I would say down, obviously as you say there are peaks and troughs but it just seems to be a less popular genre these days.  Although maybe fewer stalwarts are better.

• Sad 3

It always pleases me to see how many younger fans they have, and how many come in here or IG and say they've just found GD. I don't feel the fan numbers are dying out as fast as other bands/artists have done. As you say, they are 'made'. The fan base feels stable. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Goofygoldfish said:

It always pleases me to see how many younger fans they have, and how many come in here or IG and say they've just found GD. I don't feel the fan numbers are dying out as fast as other bands/artists have done. As you say, they are 'made'. The fan base feels stable. 

It’s probably more like a net loss overall because while they gain new fans still, they likely lose more than they gain at this point (the people that just lose interest or discover other things or whatever).

I feel like they've definitely lost fans but now there's a lot more 'huge fans'. Less mainstream success has created a fandom which I prefer to the AI era which was filled with casual fans. I often see people on here hoping they hit mainstream success again and honestly I don't want that. It's more fun to discuss things and easier to feel a connection to the fandom when there's mostly us obsessed mfs left lol. 

On Youtube and Facebook I've noticed a huge decline in comments from old bitter people about how they 'were only good back in the 90s before they SOLD OUT'. So either this group has finally learned shut up about it and simply stop following a band they clearly don't like anymore, or they've grown up and realized that they never sold out and are as good as ever :P 

1 minute ago, Nightlife said:

I feel like they've definitely lost fans but now there's a lot more 'huge fans'. Less mainstream success/popularity has created a fandom with less casual fans. I like it better this way than during AI times with lots and lots of casual fans. I often see people on here hoping they hit mainstream success again and honestly I don't want that. It's more fun to discuss things and easier to feel a connection to the fandom when there's mostly us obsessed mfs lol. 

On Youtube and Facebook I've noticed a huge decline in comments from old bitter people about how they 'were only good back in the 90s before they SOLD OUT'. So either this group has finally learned shut up about it and simply stop following a band they clearly don't like anymore, or they've grown up and realized that they never sold out and are as good as ever :P 

It’s a bit like the fandom Billie once described during the Warning period once all the casual fans that bought Dookie fell away and they were left with a smaller core of real fans.  

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It’s probably more like a net loss overall because while they gain new fans still, they likely lose more than they gain at this point (the people that just lose interest or discover other things or whatever).

I agree, my personal view is a slow decrease. With the concentration of 'hard core' getting stronger. I like this! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Goofygoldfish said:

What do you think? 

sadly I'd have to agree with the common consensus of a slow decrease :( the younger generation is much more into hip hop, pop, and alternative rather than rock or punk rock. 

6 hours ago, RedundantIdiot said:

GD's fanbase has shrunk over the years, but when I saw them it was good to see so many people from kids all the way up to people 70+ years old at the gig. It seems to me that some people who were in their teens/early 20's when Dookie came out are taking their own kids to see GD as two of the fans that came on stage looked about 12 years old. My Dad has always said ''a great band is one that has people from all ages at their concerts''.

Your dad is a smart dude! That sounds like an awesome show. And I hope I can see them someday and see the same type of crowd!

• Like 1

I've wanted a Waiting tattoo for like. Ten years. But I've never really sat down to try to figure out a design and it bothers me every single time I listen to the song hah. I want "better thank your lucky stars" but incorporated with, you know, stars in some way and I don't really know how. Alas.

5 minutes ago, Wretched & Divine said:

I've wanted a Waiting tattoo for like. Ten years. But I've never really sat down to try to figure out a design and it bothers me every single time I listen to the song hah. I want "better thank your lucky stars" but incorporated with, you know, stars in some way and I don't really know how. Alas.

Designing tattoos are hard! Maybe you could find a tattoo artist to help you out?

32 minutes ago, DeJennsitized said:

Designing tattoos are hard! Maybe you could find a tattoo artist to help you out?

Yeah, I definitely need to do that. I've gotten so many tattoos since coming up with this idea, and had help with designs on multiple occasions. But I think it's easier because for everything else, its been a very clear vision and idea in my head that I just needed to communicate. This is just "ehhhh, a thing with stars?" :lol: 

• Like 1

The thing with stars in the quote is they're figurative, so maybe straightforward stars don't fit the vision you may have for the tattoo. :P However, maybe there could still be stars in it? How about little stars drawing a pattern representing luck or whatever. Or a thread of stars around the quote as a tattoo

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Bellie said:

The thing with stars in the quote is they're figurative, so maybe straightforward stars don't fit the vision you may have for the tattoo. :P However, maybe there could still be stars in it? How about little stars drawing a pattern representing luck or whatever. Or a thread of stars around the quote as a tattoo

I like your idea of a bit abstract tattoo. Maybe a simple constellation with the text somehow incorporated in it?Perhaps something like this:

5d00139e0fc77ce0fee2fa675a0d689d.jpg

The stars being figurative makes me think an eerie motive would suit it rather than something too obvious and ☆☆-y. What do I know about designing tattoos though. I have none and I probably gave nightmares to my art teacher in school.:P

• Haha 1

Art and drawing has been one of the only things I liked to do in school :P I should probably try to become a tattooist

I think the same about the stars, especially with other lyrics in Waiting such as "downtown lights will be shining", I always envision a city illuminated at night or something when listening to this song

• Like 1

7 hours ago, solongfromthestars said:

Finally found a worthy home for the patch that came with the trilogy box set

Digging that Sonic patch!

• Like 1

I had a sort of epiphany about “I feel like a cello” - in the American Idiot musical, at the very end of Whatsername, they do this little violin/cello combo that gives me chills every single time. And it just hit me that maybe that’s what Billie was thinking of when he wrote that line. Or maybe not, but it’s how I’ll always think of it now! 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, DeJennsitized said:

I had a sort of epiphany about “I feel like a cello” - in the American Idiot musical, at the very end of Whatsername, they do this little violin/cello combo that gives me chills every single time. And it just hit me that maybe that’s what Billie was thinking of when he wrote that line. Or maybe not, but it’s how I’ll always think of it now! 

Just reminded me that there's no cellos shown in the lyric video :dry:. But what they have instead when it says the cello line is always something balanced precariously, bringing to mind feeling uneasy/on edge etc. So it could totally be a combination of that and a chills type thing from listening to a cello like you describe, has to be something to do with a feeling you can't quite put your finger on.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, DeJennsitized said:

If that was his inspiration for the line it may be a more personal memory and a reference that no one else would get. It would explain it.

• Like 2

• Liam unpinned this topic