Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

My own theory is they were really lying to Reprise. Warners owned the music and if they wanted to they could have insisted on releasing what they thought was a crappy record just to recoup some money. The only way to prevent that was to make the tapes disappear. 

• Like 2

I don't even think they lied really, they never even spoke about it convincingly enough in interviews to make it sound like it was the whole reason for starting again (let alone enough to fool a record company/lawyers), it was always obviously more that they just realised they wanted to scrap it and start again. There's no way there wasn't enough documentation of the songs that they couldn't have recreated the album if they were legally obliged to, they even hinted at this too. Maybe something really did get stolen or lost. Either way they never claimed it was much more than a catalyst that made them realise they could do better, at worst they just exaggerated the "stolen" aspect of it to make the story more interesting. 

• Like 1

What sounds better to the public 

“the songs weren’t that good so we scrapped it” 

“the album was stolen and we just going to start anew” 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, WhiteTim said:

What sounds better to the public 

“the songs weren’t that good so we scrapped it” 

“the album was stolen and we just going to start anew” 

To be fair to them they did openly say both these things right from the beginning :lol:. Their story is it (the master tapes or whatever) got stolen and this made them re-evaluate things and decide it wasn't "maximum Green Day" so they should scrap it and go for a more ambitious album instead. They admitted the album wasn't up to scratch and talked about the conflict in the band too. It's fudging/exaggerating things a bit to go on about the stolen part when they certainly would've been able to recreate the album even if the master tapes were stolen, but overall they were basically honest about the situation.

1 minute ago, Hermione said:

To be fair to them they did openly say both these things right from the beginning :lol:. Their story is it (the master tapes or whatever) got stolen and this made them re-evaluate things and decide it wasn't "maximum Green Day" so they should scrap it and go for a more ambitious album instead. They admitted the album wasn't up to scratch and talked about the conflict in the band too. It's fudging/exaggerating things a bit to go on about the stolen part when they certainly would've been able to recreate the album even if the master tapes were stolen, but overall they were basically honest about the situation.

Oh did they? I don’t remember much from that time so didn’t know they added the wasn’t maximum Green Day at that time 

5 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

Oh did they? I don’t remember much from that time so didn’t know they added the wasn’t maximum Green Day at that time 

I don't know exactly where but I just remember them never just saying "the tapes were stolen", they always then went into how it made them re-evaluate the album and the band in general and decide to go for it and make a really ambitious album. "Not maximum Green Day" was one phrase they used that I've always remembered. Idk just whenever I watched/read an interview about it the stolen part always seemed kind of nudge nudge wink wink and realising they weren't happy with the album anyway seemed to be the important part. 

• Like 2

I feel like it was on a FUSE channel interview. I don't recall which one, because there are so many from 2004-06. (I miss fuse of that time period, RIP music tv stations)

If I find it, I'll update this post.

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

I don't even think they lied really, they never even spoke about it convincingly enough in interviews to make it sound like it was the whole reason for starting again (let alone enough to fool a record company/lawyers), it was always obviously more that they just realised they wanted to scrap it and start again. There's no way there wasn't enough documentation of the songs that they couldn't have recreated the album if they were legally obliged to, they even hinted at this too. Maybe something really did get stolen or lost. Either way they never claimed it was much more than a catalyst that made them realise they could do better, at worst they just exaggerated the "stolen" aspect of it to make the story more interesting. 

The master tapes were the finished product and what had to disappear to prevent release. Yeah they had less finished versions still but the record company can’t force you to finish certain songs, you are only required to turn over x amount of finished recordings. They could have had all the unfinished recordings they wanted and the label couldn’t do anything with them but a finished master belonged to the label. That’s why I believe that’s what it was really about, it was the only they could start over if they wanted to and make sure the lesser album didn’t see the light of day. 

I don't know how it went on (and if their story of stolen tapes really has anything to do with the label and music ownership, it would be even more impressive that'd manage to solve the problem that way, while the ruse may be easy to guess for the company), but it sure doesn't seem obvious everyday to be a band putting out records under a renown label... They deal with it very well, I can't imagine them putting out a song if it isn't their own, full decision, and if the song isn't the way they want it to be.

@pacejunkie punk That might be my favorite interview from the RevRad era. Too damn hilarious. 

I need to rip the audio off YouTube so I can put it on my iPod for road trip listening. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Mar said:

Woodstock people just got NiFucked like us

I can't believe how common this seems to be... Brandon's coworker has been talking about this for months... I feel so bad for her. =/ 

31 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Sometimes I wish Green Day released their side project stuff under their own name. My favorite albums since AI have been "Stop, Drop, and Roll" and "Love is for Losers" (yes, I know Billie made that album by himself). Green Day seem to play it safe on their records, and Billie has said in the past that a lot of pressure comes with putting the "Green Day" label on something. But their side project work, even from before AI, is some of their best music. I hope their next record has some of the residual energy and passion from LIFL.

I love LIFL but I can see why they would choose to make this a side project only if it means they felt RevRad and these new songs were too safe and they want to push themselves a bit more for the next GD project. Then I can forgive them. If it ends up sounding like The Longshot anyway then I’ll end up wondering what it was for. 

25 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I love LIFL but I can see why they would choose to make this a side project only if it means they felt RevRad and these new songs were too safe and they want to push themselves a bit more for the next GD project. Then I can forgive them. If it ends up sounding like The Longshot anyway then I’ll end up wondering what it was for. 

I think @LaughingClock made some comment a while ago that LIFL had another purpose or reason or something. It's a shame that Billie put so many good songs on that record and only hardcore fans know they exist.

I doubt there's a super secret reason for it being a side project. Some of these songs were already used in a play and it's likely they don't want to back to trilogy/garage-style music with Green Day. After all, FBHT was released as a side project too.

3 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

I think @LaughingClock made some comment a while ago that LIFL had another purpose or reason or something. It's a shame that Billie put so many good songs on that record and only hardcore fans know they exist.

Some of the song were for or in the writing process for These Paper Bullets.

Disagree with you about the side projects - that's what still makes GD unique - they can play arenas & if you are lucky enough you can see them in a small club.  

• Like 3

^ Hopefully Billie has been able to channel the positive vibes from the Longshot tour into GDs new album. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, RedundantIdiot said:

^ Hopefully Billie has been able to channel the positive vibes from the Longshot tour into GDs new album. 

Hopefully but judging by the IG account called songsforassholes he’s more likely channeling toxic social media 😬

• Haha 4

41 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Hopefully but judging by the IG account called songsforassholes he’s more likely channeling toxic social media 😬

Can’t wait to here the answers in interviews if that’s what this is. 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

Longshot was the best thing Billie’s done since Breakdown imo 

I'd say RevRad is better imo than LIFL but Longshot is definitely better than the trilogy for me 

7 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Songs for Assholes sounds much more tongue-in-cheek than political.

• Like 1

• Liam unpinned this topic