Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

I found out that GD is one of my boss's favorite bands the other day. Pretty sweet! She's seen them live and says they're one of best live bands she's ever seen. No surprise there.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DadBod said:

Still breathing is pretty poppy... just saying. 

Yeah Green Day are poppy in general, they make a very catchy/poppy version of rock/punk music. But it's not really poppy in the way the current pop trend is (or in the way rock bands have started to sound to fit in with it more), that seems to be more of a dance and/or urban sounding version of pop. Still Breathing is probably the closest they've come to it but it's still pretty close to their usual poppy sound. I wouldn't want them to go more in that direction just for the sake of popularity but if they did it because they were into it and did something interesting with it I wouldn't mind, it wouldn't be straying that far from what they usually sound like anyway.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Hermione said:

Yeah Green Day are poppy in general, they make a very catchy/poppy version of rock/punk music. But it's not really poppy in the way the current pop trend is (or in the way rock bands have started to sound to fit in with it more), that seems to be more of a dance and/or urban sounding version of pop. Still Breathing is probably the closest they've come to it but it's still pretty close to their usual poppy sound. I wouldn't want them to go more in that direction just for the sake of popularity but if they did it because they were into it and did something interesting with it I wouldn't mind, it wouldn't be straying that far from what they usually sound like anyway.

I'd agree. My biggest complaint about the trilogy was the more poppy sound. RevRad is (I think) just poppy enough to keep them on their toes and keep the sound interesting, without alienating their more punk listeners.

16 hours ago, Jirachi said:

Dunno where'd this go but there's been a trend in 2017/2018 of rock bands going a lot more pop-oriented and leaving their harder rock stuff behind like All Time Low and Linkin Park and so on, and i hope Green Day doesn't do that. Its fine to me if i feel they did it for artistic reasons and not just to get top 40 hits, which is why I dont mind Paramore and Sleeping with Sirens doing it and waterparks adding some more poppiness to their latest and such, but it worries me that a lot of bands i like/liked are doing it >.<

It is a troubling trend.  I feel like Linkin Park pulled it off well with One More Light, but no one else is pulling it off.  Papa Roach's new album sounds like straight up Imagine Dragons but worse.  Blink-182's last record was a bunch of what they call "millennial whoa-ohs" with a a word or two of lyrics thrown in.  Weezer's Black Album seems to be the culmination of all things bad when Rock goes Pop.  I've tried to like it but The Black Album actually gave me a headache while listening to it.

This gets kind of controversial, because there is a fine line between pop, rock and a combination of the two.    Green Day have always balanced it well, so hopefully they won't go making songs where we wonder what happened to their guitars and drums.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, That Dude said:

It is a troubling trend.  I feel like Linkin Park pulled it off well with One More Light, but no one else is pulling it off.  Papa Roach's new album sounds like straight up Imagine Dragons but worse.  Blink-182's last record was a bunch of what they call "millennial whoa-ohs" with a a word or two of lyrics thrown in.  Weezer's Black Album seems to be the culmination of all things bad when Rock goes Pop.  I've tried to like it but The Black Album actually gave me a headache while listening to it.

This gets kind of controversial, because there is a fine line between pop, rock and a combination of the two.    Green Day have always balanced it well, so hopefully they won't go making songs where we wonder what happened to their guitars and drums.  

Oddly, im the opposite. One More Light felt so pandering and trying to be trendy with its sound, every song sounded so similar to me and its just 34 minutes of boredom. I prefer California over blink's other stuff, its their only album where I do not dislike a single song on it tbh, but that mayyy be because i hate Tom's singing voice and that ruined their past work for me. Black Album is at least better/more memorable than Pacific Daydreams ever was to me.

When I showed people a live vid of Still Breathing, the first thing they noticed are the drums, then the guitars and bass. If that's the poppiest GD can get, it's still very rock. I don't think they will change their good old formula of giving the drums a center place along with catchy guitars. I still like some less rock stuff artists make more nowadays, but I don't wish or think GD will try to resemble that. I would still like to have a ballad or soft song or two per album, as we've got until now. Billie is very gifted to write those

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jirachi said:

Oddly, im the opposite. One More Light felt so pandering and trying to be trendy with its sound, every song sounded so similar to me and its just 34 minutes of boredom. I prefer California over blink's other stuff, its their only album where I do not dislike a single song on it tbh, but that mayyy be because i hate Tom's singing voice and that ruined their past work for me. Black Album is at least better/more memorable than Pacific Daydreams ever was to me.

I agree with you about Tom's singing voice, haha.  And about the Black Album being better than Pacific Daydream.  

23 hours ago, That Dude said:

I actually thought Blink's last album was their best to date. Not perfect, the overuse of the whoa-oh's and nanana's was my main issue with it but I still thought it was a great album (Unpopular opinion, I know). I don't think their old albums were that good. They have good songs on those albums but idk, to me they're pretty underwhelming overall. I listened to Simple Creature's EP yesterday (collab between Mark Hoppus and Alex Gaskarth from All Time Low) and that shit sucks :( 

Linkin Park's last album I still think was meh. It has grown on me a bit but idk, I still think it's their weakest album to date. It's like a mix of Living Things and the last 4 songs of Minutes to Midnight but worse. It's still very listenable and quite enjoyable but still such a disappointment after The Hunting Party.

Weezer has just become a meme at this point. Their cover of Africa became their biggest hit in a decade and they've become desperate for attention now. The Black Album is terrible, much worse than Pacific Daydream

Paramore I think is one band that has pulled off the switch to pop well. Even though After Laughter isn't one of my favourites of their albums, it's still good pop music and their music was evolving from pop punk (All We Know is Falling/Riot) to alt rock (Brand New Eyes) to pop/pop-rock (Paramore) to full on pop (After Laughter)

• Like 2

At this point im pretty sure iv'e listened to Love is for Losers more times than I have RevRad, its just a lot more replayable to me >.<

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jirachi said:

At this point im pretty sure iv'e listened to Love is for Losers more times than I have RevRad, its just a lot more replayable to me >.<

Love is for Losers is so dang good. It's been in constant rotation since he released it. If I want recent GD/Billie songs, I go to that record. It's not that I don't love RevRad, because I do, I just find the longshot a bit more enjoyable right now. (Forever Now will always be in heavy rotation though.)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I actually thought Blink's last album was their best to date. Not perfect, the overuse of the whoa-oh's and nanana's was my main issue with it but I still thought it was a great album (Unpopular opinion, I know). I don't think their old albums were that good. They have good songs on those albums but idk, to me they're pretty underwhelming overall. I listened to Simple Creature's EP yesterday (collab between Mark Hoppus and Alex Gaskarth from All Time Low) and that shit sucks :( 

Linkin Park's last album I still think was meh. It has grown on me a bit but idk, I still think it's their weakest album to date. It's like a mix of Living Things and the last 4 songs of Minutes to Midnight but worse. It's still very listenable and quite enjoyable but still such a disappointment after The Hunting Party.

Weezer has just become a meme at this point. Their cover of Africa became their biggest hit in a decade and they've become desperate for attention now. The Black Album is terrible, much worse than Pacific Daydream

Paramore I think is one band that has pulled off the switch to pop well. Even though After Laughter isn't one of my favourites of their albums, it's still good pop music and their music was evolving from pop punk (All We Know is Falling/Riot) to alt rock (Brand New Eyes) to pop/pop-rock (Paramore) to full on pop (After Laughter)

Oh yeah, I enjoyed California as well. Even got the bonus tracks.  Can't wait to hear their second album with Matt Skiba, he is so likable. 

It looks like more pop-punk rockers are gearing up new music and I love it! Hopefully at least a few will lean into the punk side this time around.  If not, hopefully they will put some heart and soul (and guitars!) into their pop music. 

5 minutes ago, That Dude said:

Oh yeah, I enjoyed California as well. Even got the bonus tracks.  Can't wait to hear their second album with Matt Skiba, he is so likable. 

It looks like more pop-punk rockers are gearing up new music and I love it! Hopefully at least a few will lean into the punk side this time around.  If not, hopefully they will put some heart and soul (and guitars!) into their pop music. 

Doesn't sound like you enjoyed it based on your last post

"Blink-182's last record was a bunch of what they call "millennial whoa-ohs" with a a word or two of lyrics thrown in"

🤔

So I love mod music makers or hack music makers that make music out of weird things and there is this one dude that I just found that uses floppy drives and CDs from the 80s and dot matrix printers and remakes hundreds of songs and he has a bunch of GD shit.

Im sure it’s old news here but just in case. Check this shit out:

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME HOW AMAZING BRUTAL LOVE IS?!?! It took me too long to fall in love with this song. Tre is actually my favorite album of the trilogy now! I can listen to all the songs without a single skip, it's just good for the soul ❤️ 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME HOW AMAZING BRUTAL LOVE IS?!?! It took me too long to fall in love with this song. Tre is actually my favorite album of the trilogy now! I can listen to all the songs without a single skip, it's just good for the soul ❤️ 

Brutal love good KFAD bad. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

😂😂😂

The Sheffield one had me pissing myself, we still talk about it now, he was so bugged about it  he could not let it go until he knew what we'd said... Fucking love this guy! 

Just watched Foxies one now... Thanks hadn't seen this before!

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Hermione said:

That's far more epic than this but it reminds of at FBHT when he was asking what part of London we were in and people were saying Islington but he thought they were saying "Lexington", until he passed the mic to the crowd and a guy with a proper strong London accent was like "we're in norff London, ISLINGTON", it was good haha

Edit: Yes found it (at the start)

And Kevin attempting (and failing at) Kiss Me Deadly 9 years before he would regularly play it onstage with Billie.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Montclare said:

And Kevin attempting (and failing at) Kiss Me Deadly 9 years before he would regularly play it onstage with Billie.

It's tragic that Billie just laughed and they couldn't or wouldn't play it :cry:

Another tragedy I just noticed in the video: the band's cameraman recording professional quality footage of the entire show that will never be seen

• Sad 2

• Liam unpinned this topic