Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

I got on here to see if maybe there was a Christmas song waiting for me. 

Oh well.  As long as their in the studio working on ALBUM !# instead of at home with their families, I guess I'm okay with that.  

Merry Christmas GDA!  

I got taught it at school etc as a child and have always heard it quite a lot. Since the FBHT album came out it's been more fun to hear

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

Omg Jenn, no one ever told me what to do if I catch fire. :o

What would you actually do if you wouldn’t stop drop and roll?! 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Hermione said:

I think the idea is it's obviously easy to panic if you're on fire so if you've learned that short phrase to remind you to drop on the ground and roll to put out the flames (instead of running around or whatever) it can help in that moment. Quite a few more people must've heard of it thanks to FBHT, they did a useful public service!

Also I like that on Wikipedia there's a link to the fire safety procedure page on the FBHT album page and vice versa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop,_drop_and_roll

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Drop_and_Roll!!!

And here I thought I had seen it all. 😂 Gotta love FBHT! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, solongfromthestars said:

At least the Foxboro Hot Tubs are here to tell me how to put myself out when I set fire and not to have sex.

So informative 😂 where would we be without them?? 

• Haha 4

I typed "Green Day" into my uni's academic works search and now I'm slowly going through what I've found, revelations so far:

~ even respectable scholarly journals spell it Billy

~ found a quite interesting paper on the WMUWSE video that included a scene by scene breakdown of it that was painful to read because that video is super cringy, but the writer's interpretation of the video was interesting - not terribly revealing but a deeper take than usual for music videos - anyway, the author argues the video is in fact pro-war:

"The video builds an affective alliance through the term September, continuing to leave
connections between September 11th and the Iraq conflict floating in discourse. This connection
opens up a potentially dangerous reading for a supposed “anti-war” video, where viewers may
continue to justify the conflict in Iraq by linking sacrifice with September, implying that
America’s sacrifices are deemed necessary. In other words, the girl must sacrifice her loved one
and pledge her support as the boy does what he thinks is right. While the video can easily be
interpreted by critics as a criticism of the war in Iraq for the relational sacrifice it requires, the video centers on a selfish critique. Since the war hurts our boys, our families, and our youth, we
should not be happy with it. At the same time, the girl’s role is to support rather than to express
dissent. In this regard, Green Day’s video continues to propagate the self-centered reasoning that
keeps war culture alive in the West
."

Well, the message I took from the video was that "war is bad", but the second part, that we should accept war, escaped me - what do y'all think?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

Well, the message I took from the video was that "war is bad", but the second part, that we should accept war, escaped me - what do y'all think?

Yeah the video doesn't go as far as commenting on whether war should exist or should be accepted. It simply shows that it does exist and how a soldier/a soldier's loved one can experience it. They've taken it as a "critique" on war but that's not really what it is.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Yeah the video doesn't go as far as commenting on whether war should exist or should be accepted. It simply shows that it does exist and how a soldier/a soldier's loved one can experience it. They've taken it as a "critique" on war but that's not really what it is.

Yeah, it doesn't really seem to me that the video is taking any stance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

~ found a quite interesting paper on the WMUWSE video that included a scene by scene breakdown of it that was painful to read because that video is super cringy, but the writer's interpretation of the video was interesting - not terribly revealing but a deeper take than usual for music videos - anyway, the author argues the video is in fact pro-war:

"The video builds an affective alliance through the term September, continuing to leave
connections between September 11th and the Iraq conflict floating in discourse. This connection
opens up a potentially dangerous reading for a supposed “anti-war” video, where viewers may
continue to justify the conflict in Iraq by linking sacrifice with September, implying that
America’s sacrifices are deemed necessary. In other words, the girl must sacrifice her loved one
and pledge her support as the boy does what he thinks is right. While the video can easily be
interpreted by critics as a criticism of the war in Iraq for the relational sacrifice it requires, the video centers on a selfish critique. Since the war hurts our boys, our families, and our youth, we
should not be happy with it. At the same time, the girl’s role is to support rather than to express
dissent. In this regard, Green Day’s video continues to propagate the self-centered reasoning that
keeps war culture alive in the West
."

Not the best argued point.  Neglects the fact that while the video acknowledges the man’s reason for enlisting and presents his decision as one that he has thought through and internally justified, his reasoning is instantly shown to be fallacious by his partner’s reaction.  The method of debunking the belief held by the male character makes clear the director’s true intention of conveying an anti-war stance - Bayer has used an incredibly emotive response from a young woman, playing on the age-old ‘damsel in distress’ trope to project guilt onto the male lead and create empathy for his female counterpart.  This is especially true when considering the intended audience; to the average teenage Green Day fan, a loving relationship with the promise of ‘always’ would likely be seen as far more important than blind patriotism.  Likewise, the distressed female lead will create fear that an individual making the same decision could have a similarly devastating effect on their significant other.  If Bayer had wanted to convey a pro-war sentiment, he would have used an angry parent, not a distraught partner.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:

Not the best argued point.  Neglects the fact that while the video acknowledges the man’s reason for enlisting and presents his decision as one that he has thought through and internally justified, his reasoning is instantly shown to be fallacious by his partner’s reaction.  The method of debunking the belief held by the male character makes clear the director’s true intention of conveying an anti-war stance - Bayer has used an incredibly emotive response from a young woman, playing on the age-old ‘damsel in distress’ trope to project guilt onto the male lead and create empathy for his female counterpart.  This is especially true when considering the intended audience; to the average teenage Green Day fan, a loving relationship with the promise of ‘always’ would likely be seen as far more important than blind patriotism.  Likewise, the distressed female lead will create fear that an individual making the same decision could have a similarly devastating effect on their significant other.  If Bayer had wanted to convey a pro-war sentiment, he would have used an angry parent, not a distraught partner.

I'm not sure if the video says anything in terms of whether or not the man made a good decision or not. It seems open to interpretation enough that almost anyone might be able to project their own views into it.

Personally, I understand it the way you do - that the girlfriend's reaction is there to reflect the man's decision as problematic and the story of the video rather discourages partaking in the military.

However, I can see how someone might think the message is that the girl disagrees with the war but still "supports our troops" because she finally realizes the meaning of her and her spouse's sacrifice. It's not what I see in the video and I don't think it makes much sense with the lyrics talking about loss, but it's not completely impossible for someone to understand it that way.

1 hour ago, LaughingClock said:

This is why I hate social media. It brings famous or quasi-famous people’s personal lives into your noggin.

Nothing forces famous people (including Jeff) to be twats on social media. If it wasn't for social media, the public wouldn't find out, so it wouldn't get discussed, but it's always just their own choice if they choose to be assholes.

• Like 4

• Liam unpinned this topic