Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

53 minutes ago, ExpiredBananas said:

Has anyone noticed that 'One of my lies' from Kerplunk and 'Basket Case' from Dookie follow the chords from Pachelbel's Canon in D? I thought it was kinda interesting when I realised. 

I better listen to it sometime.

I think I heard somewhere that 'Forever Now' was a mix of a bunch of ideas Billie had for songs. It took him like 3 hours to join them all together. That's really incredible. That sort of thing would take me a week, especially since each part is in a different key. Just shows how talented Billie is in music

Yes I remember reading he kept chipping away at it until he finally got it.  It was so unreal live - I wonder and hope it will be left in the setlist.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, jengd said:

Found this on soundcloud.  It’s the interview they did one evening for Radio One (UK) just before UNO was released and they did that surprise set at Reading.  It must be one of the most out of control radio broadcasts ever but it’s hilarious, albeit pretty sad now we know what came next.

https://soundcloud.com/greendayuploader/green-day-bbc-radio-1

And just before the Shepherds Bush show before Reading :wub:.  It was so exciting listening to that the day before. Similarly even though we now know the show was almost cancelled on the day because Billie's people wanted him to go to rehab but he said no......it was still an awesome show and also the craziest.

• Like 1

Has anyone noticed that Revolution Radio kind of hearkened back to the sound that 21CB had?? To me it doesn't sound anything like the trill. 

4 hours ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

Has anyone noticed that Revolution Radio kind of hearkened back to the sound that 21CB had?? To me it doesn't sound anything like the trill. 

Yes, I also consider the overall sound has a 21 CB/American Idiot vibe to it. But I must admit Youngblood and Boucing of the Wall (perhaps Still Breathing during the verses) sound more like something out of the trilogy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrduckygoosy said:

Yes, I also consider the overall sound has a 21 CB/American Idiot vibe to it. But I must admit Youngblood and Boucing of the Wall (perhaps Still Breathing during the verses) sound more like something out of the trilogy. 

So true. I love how their style has subtle evolutionary changes with each album. People bitch that it's "going more pop" but I disagree. I think that's ridiculous - punk evolves. The trilogy has more of a pop sound than the other ones, but I like it. I don't know - I don't want to gush too much, but RevRad has just SUCH a good sound and I really hope they carry it through to the next one. 

• Like 1

I'm off the current discussion, but gotta love Billie's bodyguard (I don't recall his name) who catches the flag Billie took and tends it to him just in case he wants it back, until Billie turns away. So nice

Okay, so my novice ass just discovered Shenanigans. I'm STOKED. "Suffocate" is so so good and "Tired of Waiting For You" is such a good driving jam. "Rotting" was a really interesting song. I was trying to theorize on the meaning behind it. It is really dark, but doesn't feel depressing (if that makes any sense). It seems like it's talking about drugs and how they can make you feel. Feeling like your skin is rotting off and turning to dust - isn't that a sensation common with LSD if you're having a bad trip?

• Like 2

@maryjanewhatsername That's a great record. I remember when I discovered it for the first time too. It was in a little music shop in downtown Bellingham and I'd never heard of it before, but of course I was thrilled and immediately bought it. I still love having physical copies of albums, so it was a great find!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Green Day In Seattle said:

@maryjanewhatsername That's a great record. I remember when I discovered it for the first time too. It was in a little music shop in downtown Bellingham and I'd never heard of it before, but of course I was thrilled and immediately bought it. I still love having physical copies of albums, so it was a great find!

It's like a diamond in the rough! Such a good album to stumble upon. 

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:40 AM, maryjanewhatsername said:

Okay, so my novice ass just discovered Shenanigans. I'm STOKED. "Suffocate" is so so good and "Tired of Waiting For You" is such a good driving jam. "Rotting" was a really interesting song. I was trying to theorize on the meaning behind it. It is really dark, but doesn't feel depressing (if that makes any sense). It seems like it's talking about drugs and how they can make you feel. Feeling like your skin is rotting off and turning to dust - isn't that a sensation common with LSD if you're having a bad trip?

Huh, I quite envy you still having new stuff to discover, it's a very exciting time.  They have a great back catalogue but give yourself time to work through it so you can really enjoy it, there is a lot out there!  I love Ha Ha Your Dead, which I think was written by Mike.  

• Love 1

5 hours ago, jengd said:

Huh, I quite envy you still having new stuff to discover, it's a very exciting time.  They have a great back catalogue but give yourself time to work through it so you can really enjoy it, there is a lot out there!  I love Ha Ha Your Dead, which I think was written by Mike.  

I loved that time of going back and filling in the gaps, it's exciting to think there may still be stuff I have to find and listen to 😊

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Goofygoldfish said:

I loved that time of going back and filling in the gaps, it's exciting to think there may still be stuff I have to find and listen to 😊

I've heard all their albums, but really sitting down and digesting them has been really fun 😊 I'm still not an expert on Green Day, but I do love them and constantly learning new things about them 😊

• Like 1

• Liam unpinned this topic