Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

1 minute ago, Maddie86 said:

I was watching Heart Like A Hand Grenade this morning and when Billie started playing "When It's Time" I wondered why it was never on an album. It's a beautiful song and I feel like it would have fit well on the Tre album of the trilogy. I listened to Tre yesterday and I hated the Forgotten, the chorus is so cheesy and the song seems half assed to me, When It's Time could have easily replaced it and I feel like lyrically WIT fits in better with the trilogy

Im guessing because maybe it was too special to him and 80? I’m not sure it fit the vibe of the trilogy. I think it’s too happy/romantic for a bunch of albums about partying, cheating, drug use, and sad songs.  But I agree about the forgotten. Never got into that song.

53 minutes ago, Maddie86 said:

I was watching Heart Like A Hand Grenade this morning and when Billie started playing "When It's Time" I wondered why it was never on an album. It's a beautiful song and I feel like it would have fit well on the Tre album of the trilogy. I listened to Tre yesterday and I hated the Forgotten, the chorus is so cheesy and the song seems half assed to me, When It's Time could have easily replaced it and I feel like lyrically WIT fits in better with the trilogy

They did put When It's Time on the American Idiot musical album and released it as a single in 2010. They probably didn't put it on AI or 21st CB because they didn't think it fit, and then found an opportunity to use it with the musical. They couldn't really have put it on the Trilogy two years later, they already used it/released it.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, gaslight13 said:

Im guessing because maybe it was too special to him and 80? I’m not sure it fit the vibe of the trilogy. I think it’s too happy/romantic for a bunch of albums about partying, cheating, drug use, and sad songs.  But I agree about the forgotten. Never got into that song.

Well Uno has Oh Love and Sweet 16, which are definitely more romantic. Then Dos is all about the infidelity and Tre seems to be about redemption, which is why I think When It's Time would go good on there, it's kind of the "sorry, I fucked up" album in a way and in when it's time it gives off the vibe that at times Billie didn't really appreciate adrienne as much as he should have but now he's come around (😉) and I feel like the song would be closure in a sense

4 minutes ago, Hermione said:

They did put When It's Time on the American Idiot musical album and released it as a single in 2010. They probably didn't put it on AI or 21st CB because they didn't think it fit, and then found an opportunity to use it with the musical. They couldn't really have put it on the Trilogy two years later, they already used it/released it.

ah, I didn't realize it was a single from that. I actually forgot it was in the musical lol, I never owned the broadway album

13 minutes ago, Maddie86 said:

Well Uno has Oh Love and Sweet 16, which are definitely more romantic. Then Dos is all about the infidelity and Tre seems to be about redemption, which is why I think When It's Time would go good on there, it's kind of the "sorry, I fucked up" album in a way and in when it's time it gives off the vibe that at times Billie didn't really appreciate adrienne as much as he should have but now he's come around (😉) and I feel like the song would be closure in a sense

ah, I didn't realize it was a single from that. I actually forgot it was in the musical lol, I never owned the broadway album

Yeah it didn't have a video or anything but it was a single and they even played it at a few shows (as the 21st CB tour was going on at the time). I agree it's a great song so I'm glad they did do something with it even if it isn't on a main album.

17 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Yeah it didn't have a video or anything but it was a single and they even played it at a few shows (as the 21st CB tour was going on at the time). I agree it's a great song so I'm glad they did do something with it even if it isn't on a main album.

Didn’t the soundtrack album that it’s on win a Grammy though? So there’s that, it’s not like a song that completely fell through the cracks.

37 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Didn’t the soundtrack album that it’s on win a Grammy though? So there’s that, it’s not like a song that completely fell through the cracks.

Oh yeah that's what I'm saying, it wasn't on a GD album but they did plenty with it/put it in the spotlight in other ways.

8 hours ago, Maddie86 said:

There’s definitely some romantic-ish songs on the trilogy yeah, I just mean that maybe this song was more personal or something and didn’t fit with what he was goin for on those albums. Idk, just a theory. Personally, I just can’t separate it from it being a song he wrote very early on about when their relationship first started so I can’t see it fitting in the story of fucking up much later. But maybe I’d think differently if I didn’t know the story behind it or could separate it.

• Like 1

The part right after "The representative from California has the floor" in Holiday never fails to get me pumped up AF and I can't wait to hear it live again. Same goes for the song Revolution Radio. I've seen a fair share of people not really liking it but I absolutely love it. Instantly puts me in a good mood and I get a burst of energy from it! 

7 hours ago, Nightlife said:

The part right after "The representative from California has the floor" in Holiday never fails to get me pumped up AF and I can't wait to hear it live again. Same goes for the song Revolution Radio. I've seen a fair share of people not really liking it but I absolutely love it. Instantly puts me in a good mood and I get a burst of energy from it! 

Mee too!

@Grubby Poop if GD do some type of anniversary tour that doesn't include OZ - Im renewing my passport & Im coming over😎 (just as long as its not between April & July next year)

Anniversary tour please! Gotta admit that instagram post made me pretty excited when I saw it this morning. 

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

Seriously is this modelled on him? 

It's almost disturbing how much that resembles Tré. Also, I could 100% see him style his hair like that???

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hermione said:

Seriously is this modelled on him? :P  

What the FUCK. The face shape, chin, lips, nose ears. The hair.. Even the eyebrows are quite thin just like Trés. Seriously that's insane 😅 

4 minutes ago, Nightlife said:

What the FUCK. The face shape, chin, lips, nose ears. The hair.. Even the eyebrows are quite thin just like Trés. Seriously that's insane 😅 

Also the muscular arms and dainty legs, too much of a coincidence! 

• Like 1

Every time there's an Aquafresh ad on TV I'm like oh look it's Tre :lol:. He could sue them for using his likeness without permission

• Haha 3

I'm doing some research about drugs and it makes me wonder how many drugs Green Day actually took in their youth. We all know about cigarettes, alcohol, speed, weed, acid and prescription pills that Billie downed with alcohol until recently. In Geek Stink Breath he's singing about meth, but did he actually ever take it or was he writing from the perspective of someone else, like a friend or an acquaintance? Did they ever try other hard drugs heroin or take a step up from speed or ritalin and try cocaine? Did they try benzos like xanax, ecstasy, or other natural drugs like salvia and mushrooms? They always sound like they've lived through everything, but I'm sort of curious about what they've actually tried or not tried and what they continued to take more than once or twice.

As far as I know, Billie's definitely had cocaine, if not during the 90s (which I think he must have done also), then certainly during the writing and early promotion of the trilogy. If you look at some of the early performances, he actually looks like someone on coke too (see Irving Plaza 2012).

Wasn't there an interview from the mid-90s where Billie mentioned taking meth because it was cheaper than cocaine and there were a lot of meth factories near?🤔 I distinctly remember seeing that, but I can't seem to find it now.

• Like 2

Yeah, not sure when, but I recall Billie talking about snorting meth, so I think he's definitely done that too.

1 hour ago, Billie Hoe said:

I'm doing some research about drugs and it makes me wonder how many drugs Green Day actually took in their youth. We all know about cigarettes, alcohol, speed, weed, acid and prescription pills that Billie downed with alcohol until recently. In Geek Stink Breath he's singing about meth, but did he actually ever take it or was he writing from the perspective of someone else, like a friend or an acquaintance? Did they ever try other hard drugs heroin or take a step up from speed or ritalin and try cocaine? Did they try benzos like xanax, ecstasy, or other natural drugs like salvia and mushrooms? They always sound like they've lived through everything, but I'm sort of curious about what they've actually tried or not tried and what they continued to take more than once or twice.

Everything, maybe except for some niche shamanic stuff like ayahuasca.

49 minutes ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

Wasn't there an interview from the mid-90s where Billie mentioned taking meth because it was cheaper than cocaine and there were a lot of meth factories near?🤔 I distinctly remember seeing that, but I can't seem to find it now.

I remember that too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maddie86 said:

I hate these discussions :(

sorry if the discussion about drugs makes you uncomfortable, but this was seriously just a sincere question about something that has happened, not a baseless debate on whether or not they might have taken them. They took drugs got high all the time in their youth, that's a proven fact, and I was just curious about what exactly they have experience with :) 

• Liam unpinned this topic