Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

2 minutes ago, gaslight13 said:

Don’t get me wrong, I love both. HAR is one of my favorite songs. But he breaks for a little too long without doing anything and the crowd kinda doesn’t know what to do for a bit because no one can cheer nonstop for 5 minutes or however long that break is. So the momentum dies for a bit. And KFAD is fun but I’d rather they drop those tags of other songs. I imagine both are built into the set partly to give Billie a break, but I’d rather see him sing a slow song instead. they’ve got more than a few great ones and honestly I could use the break in the middle too.

This is a dumb question; I know KFAD is King For A Day, but what the hell is HAR?

Just now, Penguin Puffball said:

This is a dumb question; I know KFAD is King For A Day, but what the hell is HAR?

Hitchin A Ride 🙂

Just now, pacejunkie punk said:

Hitchin A Ride 🙂

I feel stupid now

1 minute ago, Penguin Puffball said:

If Billie goes first, I very highly doubt Mike and Tre would continue without him. Actually, with how close the band seems, regardless of who goes first, I think they'll be done. Sure, bassists and drummers are replaceable (looking at you, John Kiffmeyer :P ) but they seem so close I think they'd just call it quits when that happens. And I hate to say it but with the history of drugs, booze, smoking, what have you, that seems like it might be sooner rather than later. Or they might get lucky and be like those people doing smack well into their 90's with no issues. :lol: 

I don’t think they should continue regardless of who it is either. And I see your point but then theres Keith Richards. But I’m gonna stop thinking about it now because it’s in the hands of fate and 50/50 genetics so nothing to be gained. I’m all for morbid talk but with some people I just can’t. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Penguin Puffball said:

If Billie goes first, I very highly doubt Mike and Tre would continue without him. Actually, with how close the band seems, regardless of who goes first, I think they'll be done. Sure, bassists and drummers are replaceable (looking at you, John Kiffmeyer :P ) but they seem so close I think they'd just call it quits when that happens. And I hate to say it but with the history of drugs, booze, smoking, what have you, that seems like it might be sooner rather than later. Or they might get lucky and be like those people doing smack well into their 90's with no issues. :lol: 

:cry::cry::cry: They've already lived 46 years and don't look 100 from the drugs and stuff, so I'll be optimistic that they'll live for a long time. But let's not think about that right know (that reminds me of speedy the fish lol)

• Like 2

I mean they're not that old :lol:. They're only 13 years older than me so like, I'm not going to worry about it. Pretty sure they look after their health these days too (they wouldn't be able to play shows with such insane energy night after night otherwise, Billie seems to be basically superhuman), and that they'll all continue making music as long as they can. They're one of few bands who are genuinely best friends and really seem like they want to keep going for the long haul and have demonstrated that there's a very high likelihood they will. It's hard to think of any other act that I'd bet on being around as many more years as them.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I mean they're not that old :lol:. They're only 13 years older than me so like, I'm not going to worry about it. Pretty sure they look after their health these days too (they wouldn't be able to play shows with such insane energy night after night otherwise, Billie seems to be basically superhuman), and that they'll all continue making music as long as they can. They're one of few bands who are genuinely best friends and really seem like they want to keep going for the long haul and have demonstrated that there's a very high likelihood they will. It's hard to think of any other act that I'd bet on being around as many more years as them.

I refuse to believe that they'll break up before I can see them. I know that's incredibly selfish, but I've been waiting over 10 years to see them. I don't see myself seeing them any time in the near future. I've never been lucky enough. I was supposed to see them back in January of 2012, but then Billie went to rehab and at the time I couldn't understand it and I was very butthurt about my concert date being cancelled. Someday I will see this band play, come hell or high water. I don't care if they're in their 80s when it happens; I will see this band perform.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Penguin Puffball said:

I refuse to believe that they'll break up before I can see them. I know that's incredibly selfish, but I've been waiting over 10 years to see them. I don't see myself seeing them any time in the near future. I've never been lucky enough. I was supposed to see them back in January of 2012, but then Billie went to rehab and at the time I couldn't understand it and I was very butthurt about my concert date being cancelled. Someday I will see this band play, come hell or high water. I don't care if they're in their 80s when it happens; I will see this band perform.

I'm lucky enough that I haven't experienced having a show cancelled but I know it would be horrible whatever the circumstances, I'd be butthurt too. You'll probably get another chance within a couple of years though! They'll have a new album/tour soon enough

21 hours ago, gaslight13 said:

They absolutely could. Nearly every band I've seen has played at least one song that half the audience doesn't know or care for and it's never derailed the show. 

I've seen it totally bemuse the crowd, all the energy just totally evaporated and people went to the bar and the band carried out.  I would have thought, with their level of professionalism, they could say ok, lets try playing this and this and if we feel it's not working, go back to plan A but I do see both sides of the argument about their setlists.

The conversation about how quickly people know the words is interesting but is anyone else like me, how is it you can hear a song you probably couldn't even name from years ago, but you can sing most of the words.  Wish my brain function was so good with other stuff! :D:D

15 hours ago, Penguin Puffball said:

Does anyone else get kinda uneasy at the fact that Green Day won't always be a thing? I mean, sure they may keep rocking well into their 70's-80's, like Roger Waters or the Stones, and we'll always have their previous albums to listen to. But like, someday Billie's gonna die (and the band wouldn't be the same without him), or the band could break up (doubtful, but still a possibility). Someday, Green Day's going to release their last album. And that makes me sad.

It scares me to death, and really horribly I work on the principle that as I'm older then them, I will miss it!  I agree that if /when anything happens to any of them, they will call it a day.  I really cant see them going on without Billie, Mike or Tre, it just wouldn't be the same.  Please don't make me think about it. :cry:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jengd said:

I've seen it totally bemuse the crowd, all the energy just totally evaporated and people went to the bar and the band carried out.  I would have thought, with their level of professionalism, they could say ok, lets try playing this and this and if we feel it's not working, go back to plan A but I do see both sides of the argument about their setlists.

Of course. But they act like it would ruin the show and they won't get the crowd back, when in reality it wouldn't. Would a lot of people get a beer or use the bathroom? yes. Would a lot still enjoy it? Yes. But honestly, the more they did that, the more people would learn those songs and I think the crowds would improve there. It would only catch people off guard at first. 

This is the best version of Going To Pasalacqua. Billies voice if fucking amazing here and I doubt there will ever be a performance of this song that I enjoy more than this one. Feeling so #blessed that I got to hear this live on the RevRad tour :wub:

^^^ Is it bad that everytime I see footage from that show, the only thing I can think of is Billie's attempt at magic - "My penis will disappear into Mike Dirnt's mouth!"😂😂😂 And then when Billie starts singing again, Mike gets on his knees in front of him.😂

God, I love those guys so much.:wub: I miss them being onstage together, can't wait til the next tour.

• Haha 3

On 04/07/2018 at 1:18 AM, Nightlife said:

This is the best version of Going To Pasalacqua. Billies voice if fucking amazing here and I doubt there will ever be a performance of this song that I enjoy more than this one. Feeling so #blessed that I got to hear this live on the RevRad tour :wub:

I would love to see it live too. I prefer how Billie has sung it in 2017. I think his voice is at its sexiest in this version:

I just love when his voice is a bit more growling :wub: and I only really heard it like that from last year shows.

• Like 2

I've come up with the 25 Green Day songs, album version, I listen to the most (and therefore I like the most, album version at least). I made a playlist on my phone adding songs until it reaches 25, and here are the songs, listed in alphabetic order (it's not my order of preference, but the way they appear on the phone's playlist):

?Viva La Gloria?

Amanda

Broadway

Brutal love

Extraordinary Girl

Fell for You

Forever Now

Give It All to You

Happiness

Hold On

Lazy Bones

Mother Mary

Outlaws

Restless Heart Syndrome

Rusty James

See The Light

Stay The Night

Still Breathing

Stray Heart

The Forgotten

The One I Want

Troubled Times

Walk Away

When It's Time.

Now, that doesn't mean these are my 20 favorite songs. I absolutely love these songs ad could go any time for that playlist. But I analyzed a few things: I love Billie's voice much more since Warning era and even more since the trilogy era. Basically, there are a lot of songs before Warning era that I may love as much as some here, but I love better the recent live versions than album version. For example : Going To Pasalacqua, Christie Road, Basket Case, She, Armatage Shanks, Waiting, Minority, I almost only listen to live versions and absolutely love them. Same goes for all AI hits. I love listening to live but rarely listen to the album versions of the songs. The 7 songs I listen the most to are live versions of Still Breathing, Ordinary World, Wake Me Up When September Ends, Are We The Waiting, 21 Guns and Boulevard Of Broken Dreams and Body Bag. Songs I would declare with no hesitation among my very favorite (I'm addicted to them), and yet that I would only listen in studio version when listening to the album in full... I think the live/studio parameter gives me hard time to choose my favorite GD songs. For some I'm completely overwhelmed with album version and for many others I only want live and then I listen in repeat.

Other observation I made: my top 20 album version songs are mostly love/sad songs, or songs about getting over difficulties. But when I enlarge to my top 50 studio version, I have notably in plus:

99 Revolutions

Back In The USA

Bang Bang

Deadbeat Holiday

Ha Ha you're Dead

Homecoming

Nice Guys Finish Last

Nuclear Family

Reject

Revolution Radio

Somewhere Now

Suffocate

The Last Time

The Pedestrian

The Static Age

Too Dumb To Die

Turn Me Loose

which are angry and/or joyful songs, that I'm often in an urge to listen to.

And among my same top 50 studio are other sad / reflecting songs: 

Chasing A Ghost

Give Me Novacaine

Keep Me Satisfied

Missing You

Panic Song

State Of Shock

Walking Alone

Whatsername.

So I haven't agreed with myself for an absolute top 10 or 20, but this is the most precise recap I could have made so far. There are so many GD songs :P :wub:

UK community... (and everyone else, share share share!) 

Get buying American idiot single from today to get it to number 1 for Trump's visit. 

(if anyone knows how I can buy it again, let me know, I already have it, as most of us do!) 

I'm sharing far and wide on social media so that others buy it though, and doing my bit. 

Here's 1 link... 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=610763649301401&id=393926217651813

Edited by Goofygoldfish
  • Like 3

Watching some of my video edits, when BJ started Forever Now, Mike points him twice when he sings "My name is Billie and I'm freaking out". I just found it too cute to pass out. Don't ask why :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, BUBBYBUB said:

I don't like when people bash green day for expressing their political views. 😒

Actually, if they're consistent about it, I don't mind it, i.e. if they don't like any artist expressing their political opinions, that's fine. They can have that opinion of music. They still don't get to decide for us though. What usually angers me with these people is that: 

1. They aren't consistent. They looooove it when right-wingers or people they agree with express their political opinions (i.e. Kanye, Ted Nugent whatever), but hate it when liberals do. Same thing for other celebrities. You should see them fawning over Clint Eastwood or Arnold Schwarzenegger at times, while shunning liberal celebrities.

2. They act as if it's a new thing, as if Green Day are liberal ''cucks'' only now, when they weren't before, which just simply isn't true. 

For the record, I don't care when artists like Kayne West or Ted Nugent express their political opinions as musicians, they have the right to do so. Equally though, I have of course the right to disagree with these opinions. 

#freespeechappliestomusic

8 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

Actually, if they're consistent about it, I don't mind it, i.e. if they don't like any artist expressing their political opinions, that's fine. They can have that opinion of music. They still don't get to decide for us though. What usually angers me with these people is that: 

1. They aren't consistent. They looooove it when right-wingers or people they agree with express their political opinions (i.e. Kanye, Ted Nugent whatever), but hate it when liberals do. Same thing for other celebrities. You should see them fawning over Clint Eastwood or Arnold Schwarzenegger at times, while shunning liberal celebrities.

2. They act as if it's a new thing, as if Green Day are liberal ''cucks'' only now, when they weren't before, which just simply isn't true. 

For the record, I don't care when artists like Jay Z or Ted Nugent express their political opinions as musicians, they have the right to do so. Equally though, I have of course the right to disagree with these opinions. 

Sorry but I can't get over Jay Z and Ted Nugent being mentioned together :lol:. What did Jay Z do?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, MillenniumFan said:

For the record, I don't care when artists like Kayne West or Ted Nugent express their political opinions as musicians, they have the right to do so. Equally though, I have of course the right to disagree with these opinions. 

I agree completely with number 2. And They don't give people a problem when they get all patriotic or express more conservative views

• Liam unpinned this topic