Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

I could see either but think Billie and Rivers could be interesting.  I still think Billie and a Pink could sound great together.

• Like 1

I feel like Billie and Rivers would sound more natural together and compliment each other well. I have the feeling that Dave and Billie would sound kinda forced.

Thing 2 and I were driving today & Bohemian Rhapsody came on the radio - don't know what the other motorist thought but we thought we were at a GD concert:dance:

• Like 2

Weezer's Green Day cover is bland (and also pathetically censored switching "fucked" for "hugged"). I feel like Rivers Cuomo doing something with Billie would equal blandness.

I like Dave Grohl but I can't really imagine his voice with Billie's. Would be kind of interesting to hear but again...Foo Fighters aren't as interesting as Green Day. Collaborating with rock acts that are more generic sounding than themselves seems like it would result in less rather than more interesting music. See their collaboration with U2, or any other general rock act they've played with or written for.

• Like 2

^^you read my mind.

Honestly, I’d prefer Billie keep his side projects to collaborations with lesser known musicians or the other guys in GD. That way it can stay as a good excuse to play small clubs rather than a big event. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gaslight13 said:

^^you read my mind.

Honestly, I’d prefer Billie keep his side projects to collaborations with lesser known musicians or the other guys in GD. That way it can stay as a good excuse to play small clubs rather than a big event. 

Or like, just an act that's at least as interesting as them or more "out there". There's something about playing with acts in the general rock genre (which they're already close to themselves) that's bland, it doesn't bring anything extra to the table.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gaslight13 said:

^^you read my mind.

I agree and it helps unknown musicians get noticed like David and Kevin. I did not know who they were before and now I do.

• Like 2

Hubby came home when I was listening to the Oakland Coffee mix & Rancid had just finished & a GD song started.

Hubby: What's this because that last song was really punk.

Me: What are you trying to say that GD aren't punk:happy:

I really miss the boys. They hate Florida so much that I’ve only seen them twice in the last literal 9 years and it sucks. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the best songs from the longshot album for green day to preform live would Chasing a Ghost, Happiness, and Turn Me Loose.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hym.jarred said:

I think the best songs from the longshot album for green day to preform live would Chasing a Ghost, Happiness, and Turn Me Loose.

I would love that but the way Mike and Tre have chosen to distance themselves from The Longshot I would be surprised if they played any songs on a Green Day tour. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I would love that but the way Mike and Tre have chosen to distance themselves from The Longshot I would be surprised if they played any songs on a Green Day tour. 

I would be surprised if green day never play any songs by the longshot. I'm almost positive that it will happen at some point 

• Like 1

On 29/06/2018 at 7:29 AM, badwolf said:

I really miss the boys. They hate Florida so much that I’ve only seen them twice in the last literal 9 years and it sucks. 

They don't come to France so much among the west European countries. :P If it can console you in any way, my favorite picture of Billie is from the West Palm Beach concert last year, and there it was the only time he wore that black and red striped shirt:

0ef8988ed08a84f0f641037025eb803a.jpg

On 30/06/2018 at 6:08 AM, hym.jarred said:

I would be surprised if green day never play any songs by the longshot. I'm almost positive that it will happen at some point 

I would like too, it would be absolutely great. I could imagine Chasing A Ghost (it could go in place of Youngblood: clapping in both songs :P) Body Bag, The Last Time, Cult hero, Happiness, and maybe some from The Longshot demos, such as Fever Blister (I would love Give It All To You, but I don't really think so...) being played at GD shows. But I'm' not sure if GD would play some of them, Billie chose to play Fell For You and Stay The Night with the Longshot, as if he felt it was the best place to play these songs that Green Day have not played (or not anymore). So I don't know if what he put in The Longshot is compatible with what he (not necessarily Mike and Tre, I think) wants for Green Day to play from now on. But if they did play some of them it would sound so good. I really love Happiness. If they don't, it would still be okay for me, there's more than enough GD songs to be played.

I don't see them doing any Longshot songs.  They're already going to have to cut several Green Day songs to make room for songs from the new album, so I don't see them doing any side project songs.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Solution: play more Longshot shows :P 

Agreed, 100%. :)

I loved it when Radio Énergie decided to play GD, but it was a live recording. Holiday version from Bullet In A Bible! I almost thought I had a GD concert in my car while I was driving. :lol:

I think they'll continue to play trilogy songs and Longshot songs together, and maybe songs from other side projects like Foxboro, Network or future side projects

On 25/06/2018 at 12:18 PM, Hermione said:

To change the subject. Americans say "ate" as "eight" and not "ett" like a lot of English people right? It amuses me how in Words I Might Have Ate because of some dodgy rhyming going on Billie pronounces it in a very proper English way like "ett". I think it's only so he can rhyme it with "said" and "head" (he also pronounces "late" in a way nobody ever does, "lett", for this reason) but it's still funny to me that the song ends up being "Words I Might Have Ett" the same as how I'd say it :P. Add this to the Billie sounding English files.

It reminds me how that title confuses me, shouldn't it be "The Words I Might Have Eaten" actually ?

Nothing really going on these days, huh?  I've got a red notification up top and I don't even care to look at it because it's probably a like and not a comment.   Hahaha. 

This could be good news.  Green Day always has that period of time where nothing much is happening and then BAM.   

I'm currently listening to a band with connections to Green Day - U2.   I'm digging through all their work and I've discovered some really brilliant albums.  My opinion - their first four albums are a snore-fest, but Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum blew my freaking mind.  It was like they transformed into a totally different band.   I'm chomping on Zooropa now, which I haven't decided on yet.  

I hope some more of my favorite bands release something this year.  2018 hasn't had too many great rock releases.....Shinedown and The Longshot are the only stand out records so far and the year is half over.  

9 hours ago, Hermione said:

They're too chicken to even play slightly obscure GD songs at big shows and are willing to leave out whole GD albums before they'll play anything less than half of American Idiot and Dookie every night so I can't see The Longshot getting a look in :P. Maybe if it was a small/secret GD show.

Solution: play more Longshot shows :P 

I agree with both statements :lol: They only play loads of "obscure" songs in a small show, when they can see that the crowd feels those songs. Regular listeners can't go outside American Idiot and the whatever song they are promoting. Sad but true.

8 hours ago, mrduckygoosy said:

It reminds me how that title confuses me, shouldn't it be "The Words I Might Have Eaten" actually ?

Yes it should :lol:. But at least he pronounced it right :P 

4 hours ago, greendepent said:

I agree with both statements :lol: They only play loads of "obscure" songs in a small show, when they can see that the crowd feels those songs. Regular listeners can't go outside American Idiot and the whatever song they are promoting. Sad but true.

I honestly think they could push it with playing less well known songs at a big show more than they do, I believe more people would be into it than they think. But they genuinely believe they can't, like when they talk about it it's clear they really think the show will suffer if they do it and are scared of it lol. Not talking a whole show of rarities, literally just 2 or 3 less American Idiot/Dookie songs replaced with songs from other albums or a couple of rarely played songs per show. But in interviews when they get asked about playing even one rare song they act like it's impossible. They're experts at putting together a good show but....I think with that one aspect of it if they tried it they might be surprised.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

I agree. Playing the biggest hits is a safe way to make a good show but it surely wouldn't suffer if they threw in a couple less known songs. It would be a step out of the comfort zone big fans would appreciate and more casual ones might not even notice. RevRad was as much of a biggest hits tour as possible and I still saw people complaining they didn't play Guns and September so they might as well play a couple deep cuts instead - there's too many hit singles to play them all anyway.

I even like their structured show style and I'm not that bothered about rare songs but yeah. I don't think playing a couple more rarer songs or missing out a couple of American Idiot songs would have the devastating effect on the atmosphere of the show that they think. I remember one time when someone asked Billie in a Q&A if they might play 80 and he was like "there'd be 10,000 people who wouldn't have a clue what it was" and looked horrified imagining it :lol:. Like dude it wouldn't be that bad, your band's amazing live sound and your talent as a frontman counts for something as well as just whether people know the songs or not.

• Like 4

• Liam unpinned this topic