Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

Today someone told me that every male teenager either went through a Green Day or a Linkin Park phase and that the two bands were seen as "rivals" by a lot of (young) fans. I never thought of that. Seems kind of odd to me. Anyone else ever heard of this "theory"? 

• Confused 2

Here is very much a random Green Day thought :

Is it me but is “Favourite Son” not a more appropriate Green Day song  that represents Donald Trump, more so than “American idiot”?

45 minutes ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

Today someone told me that every male teenager either went through a Green Day or a Linkin Park phase and that the two bands were seen as "rivals" by a lot of (young) fans. I never thought of that. Seems kind of odd to me. Anyone else ever heard of this "theory"? 

I can understand this idea in theory because GD were pop punk and LP were nu metal (I'm thinking of the early 2000s here) and some pop punk fans (and also GD themselves lol) would be like nu metal/rap with metal is shit, and some nu metal kids would only listen to nu metal and probably dismiss pop punk as silly. But like, even at that time from what I remember they were both just popular bands with the people who were into rock music for the most part. And any later than that once both expanded to making more diverse music and were more just generally in the "rock" genre I can't imagine much of a rivalry.

At most it might be true that a bunch of people had a pop punk phase and a bunch of people had a nu metal phase. But I think they really crossed over quite a lot, and I don't believe there's ever been any rivalry between those two bands specifically.

• Like 3

I've never heard of a Linkin Park/Green Day rivalry. I always understood it was GD vs Blink, which is stupid. You can like both! 

• Like 2

Why does their always have to be a rivalry? Why can't people just appreciate 2 different bands for different reasons. I think both of those bands are great!

• Like 3

Remember when Billie used to have such disdain for nu metal and particularly Limp Bizkit and was like "I'm hard man, just give me something to break" in an interview? :lol: I even liked Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park at one point but that was highly amusing. They all seems to go out of their way to take the piss out of Blink 182 just as much though even when on tour with them. They hated on nu metal AND pop punk :P. Which was partly deserved to be fair. 

• Like 1

I remember Billie also dissed Slipknot and I was like "Hey Billie! Slipknot is cool!" I can't remember what he said they sounded like, but it was kind of funny. 

10 hours ago, kaylubd said:

I remember Billie also dissed Slipknot and I was like "Hey Billie! Slipknot is cool!" I can't remember what he said they sounded like, but it was kind of funny. 

It was Tre choking on a hairball :lol: 

• Haha 2

I know all muppet type puppets look like this...but this looks too much like the Billie puppet for me to deal with :lol: 

16 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It looks like it’s made by the same company. What’s with the lips though? 

I guess he has kind of big lips so they added them as a feature. The Green Day ones are better though :P. Still I can't help seeing that as the Billie puppet during its time off :lol:  

On 21. 6. 2018 at 9:13 PM, Hermione said:

Remember when Billie used to have such disdain for nu metal and particularly Limp Bizkit and was like "I'm hard man, just give me something to break" in an interview? :lol: I even liked Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park at one point but that was highly amusing. They all seems to go out of their way to take the piss out of Blink 182 just as much though even when on tour with them. They hated on nu metal AND pop punk :P. Which was partly deserved to be fair. 

No offence but I find Limp Bizkit extremely bad. :lol: Linkin Park are okay, I liked them too, but Bizkit seem so bland and the macho image they were going for seems just ridiculous to me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

No offense but I find Limp Bizkit extremely bad. :lol: Linkin Park are okay, I liked them too, but Bizkit seem so bland and the macho image they were going for seems just ridiculous to me. 

It's called a phase :P. I agree with that now but in 2000 everyone was listening to them, you couldn't not like Rollin :lol: 

27 minutes ago, Hermione said:

It's called a phase :P. I agree with that now but in 2000 everyone was listening to them, you couldn't not like Rollin :lol: 

Hey I at least had a Linkin Park phase! :lol: But I still can't believe LB were so huge back in the day. Actually, I think their music is okay but nothing special

26 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

Hey I at least had a Linkin Park phase! :lol: But I still can't believe LB were so huge back in the day. Actually, I think their music is okay but nothing special

Yeah there was a short time where it was like, everyone listening to Limp Bizkit as well as Linkin Park and Eminem. They all had massive albums that year an all had potential appeal for both rock and rap fans and rebellious teens I guess. With Limp Bizkit it went from being super popular to uncool/a joke pretty fast though.

To change the subject. Americans say "ate" as "eight" and not "ett" like a lot of English people right? It amuses me how in Words I Might Have Ate because of some dodgy rhyming going on Billie pronounces it in a very proper English way like "ett". I think it's only so he can rhyme it with "said" and "head" (he also pronounces "late" in a way nobody ever does, "lett", for this reason) but it's still funny to me that the song ends up being "Words I Might Have Ett" the same as how I'd say it :P. Add this to the Billie sounding English files.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hermione said:

not me :) in 2000 I was in 8th grade and listening to Green Day, Blink, MxPx, and then a lot of Lookout Records stuff like Op Ivy, Groovie Ghoulies, Pinhead Gunpowder, and especially Screeching Weasel. I tried getting into Korn and Limp Bizkit in 7th grade but I just couldn't do it lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maddie86 said:

not me :) in 2000 I was in 8th grade and listening to Green Day, Blink, MxPx, and then a lot of Lookout Records stuff like Op Ivy, Groovie Ghoulies, Pinhead Gunpowder, and especially Screeching Weasel. I tried getting into Korn and Limp Bizkit in 7th grade but I just couldn't do it lol

I never would've heard of Lookout Records etc being in the UK and with no internet haha. I only knew whatever was mainstream and in the charts from TV and radio. Like I was saying the other day at my school at least people listened to music pretty broadly back then though, mostly you'd get people who listened to pop and dance and rap, and then rock people who listened to all kinds of rock, nu metal and pop punk included. Same groups of people would wear Linkin Park and Green Day shirts for sure.

There was a much better mix of different music genres in the charts as well as less access to less mainstream music so it was more likely you'd get a lot of people listening to the same acts from a variety of genres than separate musical camps then I think, where I grew up at least. Like I was really into rap but without internet how much I had access to was limited and I still listened to all the other popular stuff with my friends. There's more choice now.

• Like 1

I do agree the charts were more diverse back then. Now, when I do get the chance to listen to mainstream radio, it's mainly pop and it's like the same 10 songs. It kind of sucks because I'm trying to open myself up to new music and I find most new pop boring. 

There was a point in my life where Hybrid Theory was my everything. I still think that album is great. After that, I just didn't like what Linkin Park was doing anymore. 

Honestly, I never got Limp Bizkit. I remember seeing Nookie for the first time on TRL and thinking...what is happening? Did he just say something about cookies? But, I will say Wes Borland used to scare the shit out of me. I think that was the first time I saw sclera contacts, so his blacked out eyes really freaked me out.

The only Limp Bizkit song I could stand was a cover of Behind Blue Eyes. Linkin Park I loved and still love for days when I need some aggression-type music at the gym to work off stress and annoyances from my job. 

• Like 1

It was only when I signed up for Spotify that I was finally able to discover new music in the genres that I like. I never heard anything good on the radio but alt rock, punk, ska, garage and power pop bands are out there you just have to look harder to find them. Spotify has suggested lots of bands to me that I love now and would never have found on my own.

• Like 2

On 25/06/2018 at 12:18 PM, Hermione said:

To change the subject. Americans say "ate" as "eight" and not "ett" like a lot of English people right? It amuses me how in Words I Might Have Ate because of some dodgy rhyming going on Billie pronounces it in a very proper English way like "ett". I think it's only so he can rhyme it with "said" and "head" (he also pronounces "late" in a way nobody ever does, "lett", for this reason) but it's still funny to me that the song ends up being "Words I Might Have Ett" the same as how I'd say it :P. Add this to the Billie sounding English files.

It reminds me of how Billie sings "still breathing on my own". He definitely would say it differently while speaking and not singing. I love that way he sings it though. I wonder if it's more an aesthetic choice than the way it comes out naturally when he sings. Probably both

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kuromignonne said:

It reminds me of how Billie sings "still breathing on my own". He definitely would say it differently while speaking and not singing. I love that way he sings it though. I wonder if it's more an aesthetic choice than the way it comes out naturally when he sings. Probably both

Yeah I like his "singing accent" too and I think it's both. Plus just when he wants to force words to rhyme that shouldn't :P 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I went for a jog this morning and this popped into my head... what do you think would be a cooler side project, a collaboration between Billie and Rivers Cuomo or one between Billie and Dave Grohl?

Each one would be a rock band with both frontmen on guitar and vocals and sharing the songwriting duties.

Personally I'd like to see Billie and Rivers do something. Rivers has already done some cool covers of Green Day songs and with Billie already doing a power pop project I could see him writing some cool stuff with Rivers. Maybe Dave Grohl could drum for it :lol:

Billie and Dave Grohl for sure! I'd be interested to see what they come up with. I'm not really a big fan of Weezer, so I don't really care about Rivers Cuomo.

Dave Grohl by a mile and a half! He is the very definition of a charismatic and dedicated front man in my opinion.

• Liam unpinned this topic