Fuzz

Random Green Day Thoughts

13 hours ago, gaslight13 said:

I'm genuinely surprised that you find that many people who've never heard of Green Day. Have they been living under a rock?

As @Hermione and @Christian's Inferno! said, in France notably there aren't so many people who know Green Day, and if they know some of the few hits that get heard on the radio, they most often don't know it's Green Day; and the only people (including musicians) whom I talked about Green Day and who knew the band's name, had stopped to Dookie era or American Idiot era, anyways they had no idea Green Day were still around after all these years. 

17 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

Oh dear :lol: He doesn't even look that young 

I agree, but I think it must depend on the photos; I remember the first time I showed my boss a picture of Billie in 2017 (a random picture from a February gig) he thought he was 25, which nearly surprised me :lol: Also, my boss has been doing his job for more than 30 years (34 exactly, and he was the youngest lawyer of 1984 French promotion at age 23) so when I told him some other guy has been doing his own stuff for more than 30 years and he sees that agile, smol guy with a huge smile and a bunch of curly hair... :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was rewatching the Wrigley interview this morning where Billie and Tre were making fun of the Wonder Twins. Now I'm sitting in a waiting room, looking at Green Day's instagram birthday wish to Billie when I hear "form of an ice patch!" on the tv. Waiting room has some Wonder Twins show on. :lol:

• Haha 1

I wonder if Billie's Wikipedia page got trolled often. I had some malicious intentions with it earlier today and discovered it's locked for editing to protect it from vandalism. :(

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

I'd love to hear either of the Viva La Glorias live.:wub:

• Like 1
  • Love 2

16 hours ago, Hermione said:

Even though they're popular around the world they're definitely more of a household name in the US than they are elsewhere, most people know them but it's far from everyone. Like how they can just be randomly referenced in sitcoms and stuff, that would never happen in Europe. The 90s alternative US rock thing wasn't nearly as big outside the US so it's probably the same for a lot of those bands.

I find that so interesting given that rock is bigger outside the US these days at least (even if it wasn't in the 90s). I guess that initial movement here really mattered the most in terms of spreading their name. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, gaslight13 said:

I find that so interesting given that rock is bigger outside the US these days at least (even if it wasn't in the 90s). I guess that initial movement here really mattered the most in terms of spreading their name. 

I don't know if it is bigger haha, I think it's dead everywhere aside from maybe some indie acts that are heavily pop/dance/electronic influenced. If anything I think it's holding on better in the US judging by how much it seems to be played on the radio there (going by people's posts on GDC) and how you still see bands like GD or Red Hot Chili Peppers etc on big TV shows. There was rock here in the 90s but it was more Britpop/British indie bands. A lot of the well known US rock bands in the 90's/00's were barely even known here and I think albums like Dookie made much more of an impression over there.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

I wonder if Billie's Wikipedia page got trolled often. I had some malicious intentions with it earlier today and discovered it's locked for editing to protect it from vandalism. :(

What malicious intentions did you have with Billie’s Wikipedia page? :lol: 

I agree with @Hermione, britpop was very big here but think it’s a combination of things, e.g, er don’t have nearly as many radio stations here as in the US say so far less choice.  Modern radio is all Ed Sheehan and Dua Lipa type stuff which I hate.  

@Jane Lannister I think there was a problem, a long time ago now,  I seem to remember at one point that on both the Green Day page and Billie Joe’s someone had put the word gay in about every fourth word. Didn’t make much sense was a little funny.  I think a lot of pages have been locked since then. 

I just listened to AI in it's entirety for the first time in months and it's even better than I remembered. Such a masterpiece.:wub: I'm even starting to warm up to Extraordinary Girl.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hermione said:

I don't know if it is bigger haha, I think it's dead everywhere aside from maybe some indie acts that are heavily pop/dance/electronic influenced. If anything I think it's holding on better in the US judging by how much it seems to be played on the radio there (going by people's posts on GDC) and how you still see bands like GD or Red Hot Chili Peppers etc on big TV shows. There was rock here in the 90s but it was more Britpop/British indie bands. A lot of the well known US rock bands in the 90's/00's were barely even known here and I think albums like Dookie made much more of an impression over there.

Hmm, I guess it’s hard to know in terms of 2018. I’m just going off my friends who play rock music and can sell out places in the UK or Germany that are double the capacity of what they can do in the US (their country of origin). They also chart higher (or at all) compared to the US. And how there seems to be far more rock bands headlining or just on the bill for festivals in Europe. I would’ve guessed that GD had made more of an impact and was a household name given they could play more than one night at a place like Milton Keynes in the mid 2000s. Though I suppose not necessarily with younger people who missed that era just due to age. Eh who knows.

2 hours ago, gaslight13 said:

Hmm, I guess it’s hard to know in terms of 2018. I’m just going off my friends who play rock music and can sell out places in the UK or Germany that are double the capacity of what they can do in the US (their country of origin). They also chart higher (or at all) compared to the US. And how there seems to be far more rock bands headlining or just on the bill for festivals in Europe. I would’ve guessed that GD had made more of an impact and was a household name given they could play more than one night at a place like Milton Keynes in the mid 2000s. Though I suppose not necessarily with younger people who missed that era just due to age. Eh who knows.

Yeah good point, rock is still very popular to see live in the UK/Europe so it probably is more popular in that respect. On the radio/in charts/in pop culture not so much though unfortunately.

• Like 1