Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

16 hours ago, Hermione said:

Even though they're popular around the world they're definitely more of a household name in the US than they are elsewhere, most people know them but it's far from everyone. Like how they can just be randomly referenced in sitcoms and stuff, that would never happen in Europe. The 90s alternative US rock thing wasn't nearly as big outside the US so it's probably the same for a lot of those bands.

I find that so interesting given that rock is bigger outside the US these days at least (even if it wasn't in the 90s). I guess that initial movement here really mattered the most in terms of spreading their name. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, gaslight13 said:

I find that so interesting given that rock is bigger outside the US these days at least (even if it wasn't in the 90s). I guess that initial movement here really mattered the most in terms of spreading their name. 

I don't know if it is bigger haha, I think it's dead everywhere aside from maybe some indie acts that are heavily pop/dance/electronic influenced. If anything I think it's holding on better in the US judging by how much it seems to be played on the radio there (going by people's posts on GDC) and how you still see bands like GD or Red Hot Chili Peppers etc on big TV shows. There was rock here in the 90s but it was more Britpop/British indie bands. A lot of the well known US rock bands in the 90's/00's were barely even known here and I think albums like Dookie made much more of an impression over there.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

I wonder if Billie's Wikipedia page got trolled often. I had some malicious intentions with it earlier today and discovered it's locked for editing to protect it from vandalism. :(

What malicious intentions did you have with Billie’s Wikipedia page? :lol: 

I agree with @Hermione, britpop was very big here but think it’s a combination of things, e.g, er don’t have nearly as many radio stations here as in the US say so far less choice.  Modern radio is all Ed Sheehan and Dua Lipa type stuff which I hate.  

@Jane Lannister I think there was a problem, a long time ago now,  I seem to remember at one point that on both the Green Day page and Billie Joe’s someone had put the word gay in about every fourth word. Didn’t make much sense was a little funny.  I think a lot of pages have been locked since then. 

I just listened to AI in it's entirety for the first time in months and it's even better than I remembered. Such a masterpiece.:wub: I'm even starting to warm up to Extraordinary Girl.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Hermione said:

I don't know if it is bigger haha, I think it's dead everywhere aside from maybe some indie acts that are heavily pop/dance/electronic influenced. If anything I think it's holding on better in the US judging by how much it seems to be played on the radio there (going by people's posts on GDC) and how you still see bands like GD or Red Hot Chili Peppers etc on big TV shows. There was rock here in the 90s but it was more Britpop/British indie bands. A lot of the well known US rock bands in the 90's/00's were barely even known here and I think albums like Dookie made much more of an impression over there.

Hmm, I guess it’s hard to know in terms of 2018. I’m just going off my friends who play rock music and can sell out places in the UK or Germany that are double the capacity of what they can do in the US (their country of origin). They also chart higher (or at all) compared to the US. And how there seems to be far more rock bands headlining or just on the bill for festivals in Europe. I would’ve guessed that GD had made more of an impact and was a household name given they could play more than one night at a place like Milton Keynes in the mid 2000s. Though I suppose not necessarily with younger people who missed that era just due to age. Eh who knows.

2 hours ago, gaslight13 said:

Hmm, I guess it’s hard to know in terms of 2018. I’m just going off my friends who play rock music and can sell out places in the UK or Germany that are double the capacity of what they can do in the US (their country of origin). They also chart higher (or at all) compared to the US. And how there seems to be far more rock bands headlining or just on the bill for festivals in Europe. I would’ve guessed that GD had made more of an impact and was a household name given they could play more than one night at a place like Milton Keynes in the mid 2000s. Though I suppose not necessarily with younger people who missed that era just due to age. Eh who knows.

Yeah good point, rock is still very popular to see live in the UK/Europe so it probably is more popular in that respect. On the radio/in charts/in pop culture not so much though unfortunately.

• Like 3

On 18/02/2018 at 9:31 PM, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

I just listened to AI in it's entirety for the first time in months and it's even better than I remembered. Such a masterpiece.:wub: I'm even starting to warm up to Extraordinary Girl.

Extraordinary Girl is in my top 3 songs on AI. 

6 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

😂😂😂  Only because this is such a slow news time — Shitty flute rendition of BOBD

Oh My God :lol: I didn't expect it to be that shitty

8 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

😂😂😂  Only because this is such a slow news time — Shitty flute rendition of BOBD

That’s a recorder, you heathen :lol: 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Eva said:

I was just thinking the same thing, but on closer inspection the channel refers to the recorder as the "shittyflute" :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Eva said:

“Shitty flute” is the name of the YouTube channel. Yes, it’s an actual thing and some of their videos get millions of views. I weep for this generation 😂

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

“Shitty flute” is the name of the YouTube channel. Yes, it’s an actual thing and some of their videos get millions of views. I weep for this generation 😂

In the same vein, I fell on this on Youtube a few days ago:

Spoiler

and I admit it gave me a good laugh :lol: even though it's the first time I watch something like this (and it does have many views!)

On 2/19/2018 at 7:46 PM, pacejunkie punk said:

I didn't expect that to be so goddamn bad, lol. WTF :lol:

I've been doing Green Day lyric quizzes on Sporcle (ones where you literally just have to write the lyrics of each song out) and enjoying it, it really makes you notice every word and line.

4 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I've been doing Green Day lyric quizzes on Sporcle (ones where you literally just have to write the lyrics of each song out) and enjoying it, it really makes you notice every word and line.

Oh I love doing those! I test myself on naming all the songs too, I got to a point last year where I could do all of them almost in order, but I just did it again the other day and missed like 20 songs 🙄

13 minutes ago, emmericanidiot said:

Oh I love doing those! I test myself on naming all the songs too, I got to a point last year where I could do all of them almost in order, but I just did it again the other day and missed like 20 songs 🙄

Yeah I love that too :lol:. It's annoying that there can't really be one for all the songs including b sides and side projects etc because there's a 20 minute maximum time limit and that isn't really long enough unless you know them all instantly and are a speed typer. They have too many songs :P 

2 hours ago, Hermione said:

Yeah I love that too :lol:. It's annoying that there can't really be one for all the songs including b sides and side projects etc because there's a 20 minute maximum time limit and that isn't really long enough unless you know them all instantly and are a speed typer. They have too many songs :P 

Yeah, I got stuck for ages when I first did it because a lot of songs I instantly knew off of Kerplunk didn’t officially count. There’s no way I’d get b sides and side projects as well unless it gave me an hour 😂

• Like 1

Went to see the AI musical with Dad last night for a 16th birthday present. On the way back we listened to the studio album in the car, and he laughed at the burning photographs line in Whatsername. I mean, the album came out in 2004 and that idea made sense for a century before, so it's kind of funny how it's now out of date.

• Like 1

Today I was listening to 39/Smooth, Insomniac, Warning and RevRad. There are quite a few songs on those four albums that I was never a huge fan of, but as I listened to them today I realised how amazing they really are.

First is At the Library - I've always loved that song (it was the first pre-Dookie song I ever heard and therefore the first pre-Dookie song I ever fell in love with), but I have a newfound appreciation for it today. It just makes me feel all dancey. Like it's so upbeat, but the lyrics are sorta sad at the same time. It's beautiful.:wub:

Then Road to Acceptance - I've always appreciated that one for referring to racism, but as a piece of music, I've never been able to get into it. Listened to it today though and it's so fucking good!:wub:

Tight Wad Hill - Anyone that knows me will know how much of an Insomniac fangirl I am. To me, TWH was one of the 3 songs on Insomniac that wasn't total perfection. However, when I heard it today, I just couldn't fault it. That entire album gets closer and closer to perfection with every day that goes by.

Fashion Victim - It's always been my least favourite off Warning, but I think today was the first time I'd ever listened to it all the way through and it's really starting to grow on me.

Revolution Radio - Never been a huge fan of the song, but it's okay. I fucking love that intro though!:wub:

It absolutely amazes me how I can still find something new to love in every GD song, even the ones that I've heard so many times.

• Like 3

• Hermione changed the title to Random Green Day Thoughts
  • Liam unpinned this topic