Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

This morning I heard Jaded played on the radio without Brain Stew, I think this is the first time I've heard it on its own like that! I was so happy to hear it, that song's been stuck in my head all week!

• Like 1

I always freak out when they play live and they actually sound better than on the album ; how is this  possible :lol: .....

• Like 3

3 hours ago, miss youngblood said:

So that's where Know Your Enemy came from :happy:

I think there's a handful of songs that have that opening. Against Me's 'White Crosses' has it too

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jesus of Seneca said:

I think there's a handful of songs that have that opening. Against Me's 'White Crosses' has it too

The "taste the revolution!" and "gimme gimme revolution!" parts are soooo similar as well though lol. And we know GD loves Bikini Kill. Definitely a direct influence imo.

In 2008 when GDC won the epic "Rockoff" contest (where different band forums each put together a playlist of 6 of your artist's songs and 6 other songs to complement them and then after rounds of knockout voting the winning playlist was played on Absolute Radio) Rebel Girl was one of the songs we picked :happy: 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Hermione said:

The "taste the revolution!" and "gimme gimme revolution!" parts are soooo similar as well though lol. And we know GD loves Bikini Kill. Definitely a direct influence imo.

In 2008 when GDC won the epic "Rockoff" contest (where different band forums each put together a playlist of 6 of your artist's songs and 6 other songs to complement them and then after rounds of knockout voting the winning playlist was played on Absolute Radio) Rebel Girl was one of the songs we picked :happy: 

I didn't know that, so cool that it was played on Absolute Radio! Wish we could do something similar again.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hermione said:

It was the best, the DJ made the whole hour about Green Day and GDC, and the voting before it was super fun going and talking to the other forums making friends and enemies and close voting etc. It was the first year I was here so it's really memorable to me haha. And the next year Absolute Radio came back to us for fan questions for the band when they interviewed them. Just a one off contest they did unfortunately (and I've never heard of another contest like it) but it would be so cool to do again.

It must have been so much fun. I'd love to do this and I'm sure we'd make them play Nightlife :runaround:

• Like 4

^ So awesome! I wish I was around for the whole thing.

And Absolute Radio should remember GDC the next time they get a chance to interview the band :P 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I was just able to find our playlist by googling it and finding it on one of the losing forums :P. Pretty classy I think

Green Day - Welcome to Paradise
Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop
Green Day - Scattered
The Who - My Generation
Generation X - Kiss Me Deadly
Green Day - Going to Pasalacqua
Bikini Kill - Rebel Girl
Green Day - Letterbomb
The Clash - Rudie Can't Fail
Green Day - Christie Road
Operation Ivy - Knowledge
Green Day - Minority (Bullet in a Bible version)

I believe they also played Jesus of Suburbia and the Simpsons Theme as bonuses. I have enjoyed remembering this :lol: 

That’s a bloody awesome playlist!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

That’s a bloody awesome playlist!

I know, it's like perfection :lol:. I guess it was easier to choose the GD songs with them having less albums then but still the choices are stellar, it deserved to win.

20 hours ago, Thatsername said:

I just listened to The Who's "A Quick One While He's Away" and Green Day's cover of it in a row and, man, as much as I love the original version (big The Who fan!), the Green Day version is kicking its ass. Billie's voice is amazing in that song, especially the "You are forgiven" part. You hardly hear him sing like that in any other song, it's killing me (in a good way).

As a result of your post, I just went and did the same.  I hadn't heard the original in a long time and blimey, it has really dated!  The Green Day version just sounds so much more together, right from the harmonies at the opening and I agree, Billie sounds great.  

• Like 1

I love all the four covers they did when 21st CB came out but A Quick One is particularly good. Also it always takes me right back to my Foxboro show, because I believed it would be the last song (although in the end they played Stop Drop and Roll one more time after it) I decided I was going to try as hard as I possibly could to drink it all in and remember it. There was plenty of time to do it because the number of times they repeated the "you are forgiven" part seemed endless and I think I succeeded because I can't listen to it without feeling like I'm there now :wub: . Lmao @ the beginning of it too 

When was the last time we got some studio covers from them, was it those ones 9 years ago or am I forgetting newer ones? They'd got so good at doing covers by then (massive improvement on their mostly boring earlier ones) that it's really a shame, it's about time they did some more.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hermione said:

When was the last time we got some studio covers from them, was it those ones 9 years ago or am I forgetting newer ones? They'd got so good at doing covers by then (massive improvement on their mostly boring earlier ones) that it's really a shame, it's about time they did some more.

Not sure if it counts but Hybrid Moments maybe?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I love all the four covers they did when 21st CB came out but A Quick One is particularly good. Also it always takes me right back to my Foxboro show, because I believed it would be the last song (although in the end they played Stop Drop and Roll one more time after it) I decided I was going to try as hard as I possibly could to drink it all in and remember it. There was plenty of time to do it because the number of times they repeated the "you are forgiven" part seemed endless and I think I succeeded because I can't listen to it without feeling like I'm there now :wub: . Lmao @ the beginning of it too 

Totally agree, I actually think the song is better live (with the Foxboro Hot Tubs) too, this is in my opinion the best version. Something happend in 2014 that made his voice sound the best it had in years (compared to the slightly strained sound in 2012/2013). Sadly, it's got slightly worse since then (although mostly during a phase of heavy touring like on the RevRad tour, because he sounded really good at the small shows in January and February this year).

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Not sure if it counts but Hybrid Moments maybe?

Oh yeah there is that, with Billie with an old lady's shawl on his head for unexplained reasons. But still I want more :P 

4 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

Totally agree, I actually think the song is better live (with the Foxboro Hot Tubs) too, this is in my opinion the best version. Something happend in 2014 that made his voice sound the best it had in years (compared to the slightly strained sound in 2012/2013). Sadly, it's got slightly worse since then (although mostly during a phase of heavy touring like on the RevRad tour, because he sounded really good at the small shows in January and February this year).

That's a great recording of the song :wub: (although FBHT in the middle of the day is so wrong lol)

• Like 1

• Hermione changed the title to Random Green Day Thoughts
  • Liam unpinned this topic