Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

It's up there with the best on the album for me too, beautiful and epic and it's only grown on me more and more. Favourite after Somewhere Now and Say Goodbye. 

We have the exact same top 3

• Like 1

If anyone on here watches Stephen Colbert, they're doing a bit on there tonight between Stephen and Miley Cyrus about who's the biggest Elton John fan. Watching it, I can't help but wonder what people must think when they see anyone from this place :lol:

Met a Green Day fan in the wild the other day - I'm in a group for young queers and we met for the first time in 2018 on Thursday. There were a few people who weren't there last year, including another person. Throughout the afternoon, I learned that he* can play bass guitar and that Boulevard was the first song he learned on it; and we got into a fairly excited discussion about the one minute thing. Good fun.

*I'm pretty sure that they identified as male, so that's what I went with, but TBH I have no idea. The world we live in, huh?

• Like 2

I went bowling this morning- imagine how dorky GD would be when they go bowling. I think it would be cool (and really funny) to go bowling with GD 

13 minutes ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

I was just listening to Jaded, and my dad thought it was Motorhead.:ermm:

I had a similar thing happen I was listening to the trilogy in my car (I forget which song was playing) and when I got out a guy working at my house asked me if it was The Dropkick Murphys. I think he was surprised to hear it was Green Day.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2018 at 8:44 AM, RedundantIdiot said:

I went bowling this morning- imagine how dorky GD would be when they go bowling. I think it would be cool (and really funny) to go bowling with GD 

They went bowling in Cleveland when they were there for the hall of fame induction. Naturally, a bunch of people stalked them. So unfortunately I can’t imagine it’s much fun for them unless they rent out an alley to themselves. :lol: 

• Like 1

As much as I love Drama Queen (and I do, a lot) I always cringe when I hear the line "everyone’s drama queen is old enough to bleed now". It probably means she's old enough to experience serious hurt in form of betrayal or some other deep shit but I always interpret it as a serenade to her first menstruation.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

As much as I love Drama Queen (and I do, a lot) I always cringe when I hear the line "everyone’s drama queen is old enough to bleed now". It probably means she's old enough to experience serious hurt in form of betrayal or some other deep shit but I always interpret it as a serenade to her first menstruation.

I think it’s intended to have a double meaning since it’s about coming of age in a lot of ways.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

Not just me then! :lol: always made me a bit uncomfortable!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

Considering the meaning of the song, I get what the line was supposed to do but I don't think it works. It might've worked better if it was on 21CB like it was originally supposed to.

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I think it’s intended to have a double meaning since it’s about coming of age in a lot of ways.

This. Also I think it's intended to be creepy to reflect the creepiness of the subject matter of young girls being exploited.

The whole chorus is super creepy including "daddy's little bundle of joy", imo it's what makes the song effective and good.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Billie Hoe said:

I have the same interpretation as yours for that line, and in some way I find every line in this song to be more cringy than the other: "Out of a magazine", "What do you think she's holding", as examples. This spelling is so bold and so speaking at the same time, and with Billie's voice and the music I easily get wrapped by all of it, kind of not really feeling the cringy aspect (usually coming to this song while listening to the record in order). Drama Queen is one of those songs I don't listen so often to, but when I do, I think : "damn! that's so good".

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Billie Hoe said:

That is how I have always viewed it as well. I know it is probably not that, but it is the quickest and easiest interpretation.  

• Like 2

On 29.1.2018 at 8:36 PM, Hermione said:

This. Also I think it's intended to be creepy to reflect the creepiness of the subject matter of young girls being exploited.

The whole chorus is super creepy including "daddy's little bundle of joy", imo it's what makes the song effective and good.

god that reminds me of the fans who, after hearing this song, were convinced that he has some kind of secret daughter who died or something

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

god that reminds me of the fans who, after hearing this song, were convinced that he has some kind of secret daughter who died or something

Why are people so literal about Billie Joe's writing when he's like the king of metaphors? 

• Like 4

Lmao and if that song was actually about a daughter it would literally be the creepiest song ever

• Like 2

My little brother just described 90s Tré Cool as 'a drugged up Ed Sheeran' and that's frankly the funniest description I've ever heard.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Gloria Killjoy said:

Idk. To be honest, it creeps me out, but in a thoughtful way, if that makes sense. It's interesting, all right.

I agree with everything that's been said but this really sums it up for me. I'm pretty uncomfortable listening to it but I think that's what makes it good writing. I think it's supposed to have that effect. I'd be alarmed if it isn't because that takes it in a totally different direction. 

• Like 3

• Hermione changed the title to Random Green Day Thoughts
  • Liam unpinned this topic