Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

26 minutes ago, Billie Joe Armstrong said:

I know it's so irrational, but thinking about how it's been a year made me kind of sad yesterday. I was writing an exam and rolling in self-pity. If only I could go back in time :lol:

Aw it isn't that irrational, I mean, obviously it's a very happy memory but thinking about it also makes me sad sometimes, since we don't know when we'll have a chance to experience it again. I'm having a day like that today, I should be writing a 10-page essay but I'm watching Green Day videos instead and inwardly crying :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Today while I was driving I was thinking about Nimrod and then Good Riddance came on the radio! It was so weird! Then like 10 minutes later I was waiting for my lunch and I was thinking about how FB told me that 11 years ago today I became facebook friends with someone and then I saw her walk by outside! The only explanation that I can think of is that I live in the Twilight Zone (seriously, Rod Serling grew up here)

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Marki. said:

Aw it isn't that irrational, I mean, obviously it's a very happy memory but thinking about it also makes me sad sometimes, since we don't know when we'll have a chance to experience it again. I'm having a day like that today, I should be writing a 10-page essay but I'm watching Green Day videos instead and inwardly crying :lol: 

I feel you. Thinking of how happy I was last year makes the boring stuff even worse. They should tour again :ga:

• Like 3

On 10/1/2018 at 4:14 PM, Hermione said:

I'm fixated on him changing little things when he sings live in general but that's the king of them all :lol: 

I'm a bit late to the party but I've just found this video of Nice Guys Finish Last in Florence last year. I was at the show but I had forgotten that he sang it this way until I watched this video today. I love it too when he does it! Not sure if this can be described as "changing little things" though, it's almost a different song at the end :lol:

The quality is not great but it seems like it's the only one around.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Master Roshi said:

I'm a bit late to the party but I've just found this video of Nice Guys Finish Last in Florence last year. I was at the show but I had forgotten that he sang it this way until I watched this video today. I love it too when he does it! Not sure if this can be described as "changing little things" though, it's almost a different song at the end :lol:

That is exhilarating! :D :wub: The sound quality is fine to me.

Other random thought, I noticed on different pictures of Billie playing guitar, that his left hand holding the neck is often positioned as if giving the middle finger :lol::

Spoiler

billie-joe-armstrong-of-green-day-perfor

Spoiler

greenday-eliasmendez-velez43.jpg

Spoiler

I play guitar but never observed my hands from outside, is this a common position for guitarists to give their hand? :P (I can get the utility of it for guitar playing though!)

6 hours ago, Kuromignonne said:

Other random thought, I noticed on different pictures of Billie playing guitar, that his left hand holding the neck is often positioned as if giving the middle finger :lol::

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

I play guitar but never observed my hands from outside, is this a common position for guitarists to give their hand? :P (I can get the utility of it for guitar playing though!)

It is a power chord, he just sticks his finger out instead of tucking it in. We know GD is all about power chords.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Grubby Poop said:

It is a power chord, he just sticks his finger out instead of tucking it in. We know GD is all about power chords.

Is there an actual definition for a power chord? What makes it one?

7 hours ago, Kuromignonne said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

i don't stretch out the middle finger unless I'm using it to mute a string above the chord I'm playing. 

21 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Is there an actual definition for a power chord? What makes it one?

Technically, it's not an actual chord. Chord needs three notes, but a power chord has just two. It's just a quint (first and fifth notes from a scale played together), usually the first note is played on two strings - the lowest one and an octave higher.

So C5, power chord starting from C, would be notes C G and optionally another C (that sounds an octave higher) - because the C scale goes C D E F G A B

Have I mentioned that I suck at explaining things?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Master Roshi said:

Omg this is exactly what I love :lol:. Hadn't heard it before either so thanks!

There's so many examples of it but I just noticed a mini one the other day with "lucky strike and I will travel" here that I enjoyed. Although I'm not completely sure how intentional it was :P 

Unrelated but the thought just entered my head that at one of the 2008 FBHT shows the Rev made his entrance by surfing across the crowd from the back of the room to the stage on an actual surfboard. I'm still sad to this day that it wasn't captured on camera but I'll keep posting about it to preserve this amazing fact :lol: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Now that really was changing the song :lol:. Skeleton Billie was the best, would've loved to have been at that show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billie Joe Armstrong said:

i don't stretch out the middle finger unless I'm using it to mute a string above the chord I'm playing. 

Technically, it's not an actual chord. Chord needs three notes, but a power chord has just two. It's just a quint (first and fifth notes from a scale played together), usually the first note is played on two strings - the lowest one and an octave higher.

So C5, power chord starting from C, would be notes C G and optionally another C (that sounds an octave higher) - because the C scale goes C D E F G A B

Have I mentioned that I suck at explaining things?

Actually, it is a chord. It is just a chord that consists of the root note and the fifth. However, it is still a chord

And is the basis of most rock music.

6 minutes ago, Grubby Poop said:

Actually, it is a chord. It is just a chord that consists of the root note and the fifth. However, it is still a chord

And is the basis of most rock music.

Depends on how you define a chord. Classical music theory has it that a chord must have three different notes (so that it can be either major or minor), so by that definition, power chords are just fifths, just like thirds are thirds or octaves are octaves. But yeah, for purpose of rock music (and simplicity), let's just say it's a chord that only has two notes. It works like a chord in rock music, so we can call it a chord.

22 minutes ago, Billie Joe Armstrong said:

Depends on how you define a chord. Classical music theory has it that a chord must have three different notes (so that it can be either major or minor), so by that definition, power chords are just fifths, just like thirds are thirds or octaves are octaves. But yeah, for purpose of rock music (and simplicity), let's just say it's a chord that only has two notes. It works like a chord in rock music, so we can call it a chord.

Technically you are correct. However, the entire world calls it a chord, unless you are some music snob. Most people don't refer to it as a power 5th. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grubby Poop said:

Technically you are correct. However, the entire world calls it a chord, unless you are some music snob. Most people don't refer to it as a power 5th. 

Yeah, that's right. 

Outlaws has always been the only song on RevRad that I couldn't get into, and the only part that I ever liked was the outro. However, I listened to it today for the first time in months, and I'm happy to say that I absolutely love it now.:happy: And that outro is even more beautiful than I remember - the lyrics, Billie's vocals, it's so beautiful.:wub:

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

Outlaws has always been the only song on RevRad that I couldn't get into, and the only part that I ever liked was the outro. However, I listened to it today for the first time in months, and I'm happy to say that I absolutely love it now.:happy: And that outro is even more beautiful than I remember - the lyrics, Billie's vocals, it's so beautiful.:wub:

A Billie and Mike love song, what's not to like? :D 

• Like 3

Same.  It took me a long time to even tolerate it. Now I can listen to it without skipping it and I like the bridge a lot (but I still like The Fratellis’ Lupe Brown better 😉)

I do like Outlaws but I think it's one of the weaker songs on RevRad. It's like Wild One except longer and not as interesting tbh. It's still good though

Outlaws has always been one of my favourites on the album. It doesn't seem inappropriately overblown like 21 Guns, for example. That and Forever Now are the ones I can see standing the test of time.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Spike said:

Outlaws has always been one of my favourite on the album. It doesn't seem inappropriately overblown like 21 Guns, for example. That and Forever Now are the ones I can see standing the test of time.

Exactly. 

I'd add Bang Bang on this list of songs that will stick. 

• Like 2

It's up there with the best on the album for me too, beautiful and epic and it's only grown on me more and more. Favourite after Somewhere Now and Say Goodbye. 

• Like 1

• Hermione changed the title to Random Green Day Thoughts
  • Liam unpinned this topic