Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

This probably isn't as interesting as most of the replies on this thread but, oh my, every song of Green Day reminds me of the concert I went to. Seriously, I can assign every single piece to a part of the day, even the sad ones (though it was great)

Especially the When I Come Around music video... Billie and the rest walking by a busy street at night is exactly what i was doing on that day at 2 am...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Billie_joe_joe said:

JAR cuts off at the end with "All i wanna do is-". why? what is the significance of it stopping?

To me it seems like its to signify an unexpected end. Like death, how everything can just end before it is rightfully over.

I love your explanation. It's so deep and thoughful.

...and here is why it ends so abruptly 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Billie Joe Armstrong said:

I love your explanation. It's so deep and thoughful.

...and here is why it ends so abruptly 

Thank you, I cant watch the video right now im in my spare period and dont have headphones

is their any photos of Jason relva? is mike the only one with photos?

25 minutes ago, Billie_joe_joe said:

JAR cuts off at the end with "All i wanna do is-". why? what is the significance of it stopping?

To me it seems like its to signify an unexpected end. Like death, how everything can just end before it is rightfully over.

That’s how I always thought of it. In the demo they finished the line and ended after “play” but I guess they had the idea when recording it and made the change. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Billie_joe_joe said:

Interesting interpretation! And it's very likely that it's the way they meant it considering the background of the song. But to me personally it has a more positive meaning. The full part of the quote is

Gotta make a plan
Gotta do what's right
Can't run around in circles
If you want to build a life
But I don't want to make a plan
For a day far away
While I'm young and while I'm able
All I wanna do is

So it could also mean that people have all kinds of expectations and want you to meet those expectations, but you decide to do what you want, you decide to live your life. So the unfinished sentence could also stand for the many possibilities you have once you choose to go your own way and forget what others are expecting of you. I can relate to this so much, so maybe that's just what I WANT to read into this song, haha.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

I think it's interesting that Green Day has sort of changed their mentality/image over the past few years. I remember after Billie's iHeart meltdown, he said in an interview that he felt lost in the music industry, especially at that event, surrounded by people he couldn't relate to and had a whole different view of music than. I think songs like "Rusty James" really show how Green Day was growing out of the music industry. That probably felt very isolating. After taking that hiatus, they seem to have moved on and taken a more grassroots approach. Family oriented. Opening up a guitar shop and a coffee shop. Lots of music projects involving the Oakland scene, like that doc they made. They recorded RevRad basically in secret in an apartment turned into a studio. While they still play big awards shows and venues, I think they really have moved away from the overall music scene in general. They've had a homecoming of sorts.

Yes, exactly. And I think it also had to do with the fact they they don't belong into the mainstream as much as they used to. They were huge with AI and 21CB as well - to an extent. They invested a lot into promoting the Trilogy, but it seemed fake and insincere. They didn't belong there anymore.

I'm glad they realized that and changed the direction of their career. It was the best move they could've made. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Billie_joe_joe said:

I never thought about it that way, but it makes complete sense, considering what inspired him to write the song. I always took it just as him not knowing what it is he actually really wants to do, or what he should do to really make the most of his life while he has it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DookieLukie said:

I think it's interesting that Green Day has sort of changed their mentality/image over the past few years. I remember after Billie's iHeart meltdown, he said in an interview that he felt lost in the music industry, especially at that event, surrounded by people he couldn't relate to and had a whole different view of music than. I think songs like "Rusty James" really show how Green Day was growing out of the music industry. That probably felt very isolating. After taking that hiatus, they seem to have moved on and taken a more grassroots approach. Family oriented. Opening up a guitar shop and a coffee shop. Lots of music projects involving the Oakland scene, like that doc they made. They recorded RevRad basically in secret in an apartment turned into a studio. While they still play big awards shows and venues, I think they really have moved away from the overall music scene in general. They've had a homecoming of sorts.

44 minutes ago, Billie Joe Armstrong said:

Yes, exactly. And I think it also had to do with the fact they they don't belong into the mainstream as much as they used to. They were huge with AI and 21CB as well - to an extent. They invested a lot into promoting the Trilogy, but it seemed fake and insincere. They didn't belong there anymore.

I'm glad they realized that and changed the direction of their career. It was the best move they could've made. 

Reading this reminds me of this clip from the iheart red carpet and how cringy it was. Talking about fashion felt so wrong for them, like they really didn’t belong there.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Reading this reminds me of this clip from the iheart red carpet and how cringy it was. Talking about fashion felt so wrong for them, like they really didn’t belong there.

The worst thing about the trilogy promotion was that they often seemed downright uncomfortable.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

I agree. And it was a smart move because bands who've been around a while that try to forcefully stay in the same headlines as the big pop stars tend to end up looking like idiots. I cringe every time I see someone like Paul McCartney or whoever collaborating with an artist 40 years younger than them.  Green Day are getting it right in my opinion by staying in the right headlines just enough (would be good to see a bit more) to be relevant but without looking ridiculous. And without jumping on collaborations as a gimmick. OW doesn't count. Miranda Lambert is popular sure but she's not Beyonce and they're actually friends which makes it more genuine. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Marki. said:

I never thought about it that way, but it makes complete sense, considering what inspired him to write the song. I always took it just as him not knowing what it is he actually really wants to do, or what he should do to really make the most of his life while he has it. 

Interesting point @Billie_joe_joe and I agree with @Marki. but I think while it’s a really effective ending, I also think it’s classic Billie, it could be negative or positive, I think it’s about taking the chance to do anything and everything you can as well as what you both said.

well said @DookieLukie and @pacejunkie punk that’s a big silence when they are asked what they are wearing, I expected them to say clothes!  They were uncomfortable with some of that stuff around the Trilogy, I think they have always done their own thing but no doubt that has been really hard at times, but it does feel like they have redound  themselves now, I hope the new management get them and what they are about and support them in that going forward.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

This is spot on, totally agree with all of this, and just personally, I'm glad for it. It was amazing to see them embrace being larger than life pop stars during the AI/21CB days, but I think as they get older it'd be amazing to see them operate on their own terms outside of the mainstream a bit. They've always done their own thing to an extent of course, but imo this era of Rev Rad has felt more "independent" than the AI/21CB years. Bringing out a band like Dog Party on tour, a small and totally DIY independent band, I don't remember the last time they did something like that. Having Tim Armstrong direct the video for 'Bang Bang"... hell, they even played Gilman for the first time (officially anyway) since like 93 (I know that was before Rev Rad dropped, but I'd lump it into this era, along with Broken Guitars, Oakland Coffee, etc). I mean if all of that isn't a homecoming as you said, I don't know what is...

• Like 3

What on earth do Billie/Mike call Tre when they're not on stage/camera/dealing with publicity?

Does anyone call him Frank?

35 minutes ago, musso_kn said:

What on earth do Billie/Mike call Tre when they're not on stage/camera/dealing with publicity?

Does anyone call him Frank?

I don't know for sure whether anyone happens to call him Frank just because they always have or it's a thing or whatever, but he's had the nickname Tre from his family since he was a toddler (as he's Frank Edwin Wright III and tre is Italian for three - Larry Livermore just added the Cool to it later), so I'm pretty sure he's usually known as that. I've never heard or heard of another band member calling him Frank. 

But I know his name was still legally Frank up until a few years ago at least (and still is as far as I know, if it's changed I can't remember) and his surname is still legally Wright. And I can vaguely remember some quote about having the best of both worlds being able to be Frank and Tre or something. So he doesn't totally reject the name Frank or anything, might be possible that some people do.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Billie_joe_joe said:

im looking for info on jar death certificates stuff like that im hoping to find a photo of him

17 hours ago, Billie_joe_joe said:

I'm sorry but neither of these things are appropriate topics. We post about Green Day here, not the personal lives of their families and friends. If a member of Green Day chooses to share something about their friends it's one thing, but it isn't a topic to discuss on its own.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Kyle Serlington said:

That video of them talking about their clothes got me thinking... Remember when Green Day just used to wear t-shirts when playing shows? I really miss those days. It'd be awesome to see them do a stripped down tour again, focus on the music instead of the performance. There's a lot of nimrod and warning era shows where they would just take requests from the audience, I wanna see that again! I remember they took requests at a show I was at back in 2000, they wanted requests for an old one, I kept yelling 80 but they ended up playing At The Library, which is ok cuz I love that song

I miss this too! We got a bit of that during the Trilogy tours, all just simple striped t-shirts.

It was probably easier to take requests during those days cause it was usually just the three of them on stage. Now with 6, the other dudes might not know whatever songs are being requested. But for sure, i'd be stoked to see them do something like that again.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2017 at 3:15 PM, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

Seriously, I'm convinced that the sole reason I'm alive is to listen to/talk about/think about/look at/fangirl over/buy stuff from/watch Green Day - it's the only thing that interests me on this boring planet.

For me personally, I wouldn't say that Green Day as such is the only thing that interests me on this planet (even if I think of them at least 95% of the time :P), precisely because Green day have opened my world, allowing me to find interest in several things in my life: while I was often sad or easily depressed before knowing of them, now I'm just glad to wake up every morning and live every day with pleasure. 

On 12/12/2017 at 6:28 PM, Billie_joe_joe said:

I agree that the suddenness of the ending may remind us that life is too short, however to me that ending doesn't sound so unexpected musically (and the music itself doesn't stop immediately there), perhaps lyrically only... while I don't even feel it that way: I think the only word that would fit instead of this blank is "live", but I don't find it necessary to spell it, given the previous line "while I'm young and while I'm able", everyone can just imagine what they would say there. Maybe words are not appropriate, or the appropriate words can't be spelled spontaneously. If the band really had the word "play" at the end in a first version of the song, I suppose that may not have felt strong or wide enough, so this blank (which once again feels fine at listening, to me) must've been a better choice.

22 hours ago, Billie Joe Armstrong said:

I liked @DookieLukie's post but I must've read it in a different way than most of you guys; I don't really agree with every post that has followed. To make it simple, I agree Green Day have changed their way of looking at their career, building themselves a place they seem to absolutely love now, and so that it's all for the best; but I don't agree that the place they were (or felt like they were) at some point of their career, such as the trilogy era, was in itself a problem or implied something fake. I definitely think Billie is still regularly awkward during interviews (to me, all three of them are! not saying this in a negative way at all), and that by now he has accepted himself that way, instead of being disturbed of feeling awkward... I believe they're happy not because they are in some place now instead of another, but rather because they have at last found their freedom as a band, and they no longer try too hard (especially Billie) at doing something new. They just do what they love for the love of it and they do it better than ever. Also, to me, that well-being as a band most certainly doesn't depend on the level they occupy or will occupy in mainstream from now.

• Like 3

• Hermione changed the title to Random Green Day Thoughts
  • Liam unpinned this topic