Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

13 hours ago, PurpleIron1039 said:

I just found this on Tumblr

They forgot Dimebag Darrel :P I think Billie as a guitarist is pretty much underrated and even being a Punk/Alternative guitarist he makes really good solos and bridges in GD songs.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

He actually rarely does solos, bridges yes, solos no.  However, believe it or not, I actually do agree with you.  Billie doesn't play anything super difficult, but he usually takes simple chord progressions and adds in some bridges, hammer ons, etc.  And he plays very, very tight. So basically, what he plays, he plays very, very well.  

Yeah, if my playing was as tight as his I'd be over the moon. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JJ1964 said:

He actually rarely does solos, bridges yes, solos no.  However, believe it or not, I actually do agree with you.  Billie doesn't play anything super difficult, but he usually takes simple chord progressions and adds in some bridges, hammer ons, etc.  And he plays very, very tight. So basically, what he plays, he plays very, very well.  

I agree, He plays tight and very musically. He has such a great ear for phrasing, tone, dynamics, melodic arc. So while the notes may seem simple, he's doing all the little nuanced things in his playing (and when he plays piano, too) that gifted musicians do, even when they study classical music.  Studying and playing music is so much more than simply playing the notes fast. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JJ1964 said:

Yep. Because of this I also believe that Green Day songs are the best for beginners on electric guitar. As you said, Billie's playing is based in simplicity but he adds in some other things like hammer-ons which makes his songs easy to play but very educational for beginners.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BillyjoelxkidXx said:

R.I.P. GD in the studio thread. 

Here's the funeral song

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry Potter. said:

Yep. Because of this I also believe that Green Day songs are the best for beginners on electric guitar. As you said, Billie's playing is based in simplicity but he adds in some other things like hammer-ons which makes his songs easy to play but very educational for beginners.

Absolutely, you get a sense of accomplishment with GD songs.  It is tough for a beginner to get them right away, but you can get them.  It just takes some work.    

• Like 1

I suck on guitar, so I'm still trying to learn some, lol. What are some songs that would be good for a musician like me who can play piano at a professional level but can't strum a guitar for shit??? My left hand is good, strumming sucks. 

24 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

Absolutely, you get a sense of accomplishment with GD songs.  It is tough for a beginner to get them right away, but you can get them.  It just takes some work.    

1 minute ago, GenXIdiot said:

I suck on guitar, so I'm still trying to learn some, lol. What are some songs that would be good for a musician like me who can play piano at a professional level but can't strum a guitar for shit??? My left hand is good, strumming sucks. 

Usually, GD songs have a very fast BPM, so that may be difficult if strumming is giving you a problem.  Alot of GD songs, more the earlier ones, are mostly down strokes, so that makes it easier.  Brain Stew is probably their easiest song to play.  I play it at 75, so that is pretty slow.  Also, maybe a song with more picking than strumming.  Good Riddance or Brutal Love are good ones to try.  Stay away from something like Minority.  It has picking and fast strumming and odd strum patterns.  I think it is one of their more difficult songs to play.        

• Like 3

Just now, JJ1964 said:

Usually, GD songs have a very fast BPM, so that may be difficult if strumming is giving you a problem.  Alot of GD songs, more the earlier ones, are mostly down strokes, so that makes it easier.  Brain Stew is probably their easiest song to play.  I play it at 75, so that is pretty slow.  Also, maybe a song with more picking than strumming.  Good Riddance or Brutal Love are good ones to try.  Stay away from something like Minority.  It has picking and fast strumming and odd strum patterns.  I think it is one of their more difficult songs to play.        

Thanks! Picking is easier for me. Maybe I'll try Brain Stew and Brutal Love. 

Just now, GenXIdiot said:

Thanks! Picking is easier for me. Maybe I'll try Brain Stew and Brutal Love. 

Brain Stew is a no brainer. I was able to play it just fine after doing many shots. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, GenXIdiot said:

you might try brutal love , its more picking than strumming

• Like 1

While at breakfast this morning I saw a girl wearing a GD AI t-shirt. I should have asked what she knows about the next album. 

• Like 1

I hope for the next album they release some 7" singles with some b-sides on them. I used to love collecting singles for nimrod and warning when I was a kid, I even got a few dookie and insomniac ones. There were no physical format singles for the trilogy, right?

• Like 1

Just now, Kyle Serlington said:

I hope for the next album they release some 7" singles with some b-sides on them. I used to love collecting singles for nimrod and warning when I was a kid, I even got a few dookie and insomniac ones. There were no physical format singles for the trilogy, right?

I don't think there were, which was a real shame, proper singles are cool.

Also I love that bass walkdown as Billie sings "it's all wrong" in 99 Revolutions.

I was just on Instagram looking at Billie's pictures, and I found this account that was spamming "date me" or something along those lines on his posts. Naturally, I was curious, so I opened her profile and found that her thing is convincing people that 5 Seconds of Summer is punk or something, right?

I was really disappointed to see Green Day fan accounts just mercilessly bullying this girl on her posts. Yes, she was annoying, and she would insist (absolutely seriously) that 5SOS was more punk than GD, but I saw comments from Idiots telling her to kill herself and stuff like that. It was all just so petty and pointless, arguing about whether GD or 5SOS or Paramore or ATL or something was punk or not. I don't like to see other Idiots engaging in such mean behavior (I hope that i don't sound arrogant or too judgmental), and certainly not over GD and the matter of who is "punk" and who is not. Sorry for sharing this; it's not very on-topic, but I was just crestfallen to see this.

1 hour ago, PurpleIron1039 said:

I was just on Instagram looking at Billie's pictures, and I found this account that was spamming "date me" or something along those lines on his posts. Naturally, I was curious, so I opened her profile and found that her thing is convincing people that 5 Seconds of Summer is punk or something, right?

I was really disappointed to see Green Day fan accounts just mercilessly bullying this girl on her posts. Yes, she was annoying, and she would insist (absolutely seriously) that 5SOS was more punk than GD, but I saw comments from Idiots telling her to kill herself and stuff like that. It was all just so petty and pointless, arguing about whether GD or 5SOS or Paramore or ATL or something was punk or not. I don't like to see other Idiots engaging in such mean behavior (I hope that i don't sound arrogant or too judgmental), and certainly not over GD and the matter of who is "punk" and who is not. Sorry for sharing this; it's not very on-topic, but I was just crestfallen to see this.

"Kill yourself" is so cruel. She was probably like 12. A simple "shut up" will do lol. 

4 hours ago, XPursuitOfEpicnessX said:

"Kill yourself" is so cruel. She was probably like 12. A simple "shut up" will do lol. 

All of them probably were. Kids can be assholes.

• Like 2

I think that Jeff Beck just unfollowed Billie on Instagram. He was still following him a day or two ago. Maybe it's because of the song title, haha.

Hubby told me he found the lyrics to the new song.  Of course he was kidding but certainly had me going for a second!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lizziebix said:

Hubby told me he found the lyrics to the new song.  Of course he was kidding but certainly had me going for a second!

It would be funny if he'd seriously find them earlier than you or the rest of us. Hubby = biggest fan

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lizziebix said:

This is why I haven't told anyone :P

• Hermione changed the title to Random Green Day Thoughts
  • Liam unpinned this topic