Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

I got all excited yesterday thinking about the possibility of them just surprising us with a new song out of no where like Blink did. Oh man.

• Like 4

TIL that GD covered like three seconds of a Slayer riff in 1994, not a particularly fast one though. There are loads of bootlegs and unreleased songs out there that I've never even known existed, and that kind of blows my mind, because I had thought that I was pretty well versed in GD trivia up until now.

Edited by PurpleIron1039

32 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

I got all excited yesterday thinking about the possibility of them just surprising us with a new song out of no where like Blink did. Oh man.

Don't dooooo it! You'll drive yourself crazy like me. :ninja: 

49 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

That would be awesome - I want this more than them letting us know an actual date.

Today is 3 yeas since my first (and last) Green day show in Belgrade and I can't wait for another one :( I hope for Europe tour this summer/fall and some concerts near Croatia.. :) (I don't post here because of my bad english but I read other posts every day :))

Edited by Tajana
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mary711 said:

Don't worry about your English - we would like to hear what your opinions are. :) 

Well, you might because I know only one GD fan.. sad :D

Am I the only GD Fan that thinks that Billie had the best lyrics and singing on Insomniac??

• Like 2

Lyrics are great on Insomniac, singing, not so much.

His singing really hit it's potential for 21st CB and everything afterwards...he was in his late thirties which about right, it's when a man's singing voice is fully "ripened" .

• Like 2

Insomniac is a brilliant punk album, but that makes "good vocals" entirely subjective :P

• Like 4

Yeah I still remember when Westbound Sign sounded like "Blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahlblahblah...westbound sign" to me. Lucky there's a lyric booklet. But that style of singing does suit the album.

• Like 2

if singing good is like tv contests ,don't really care but he sings very properly in Insomniac. I mean it gives the emotion of songs and his voice is not dull.Some voices are nice but so dull,emotionless.

There is no way to not feel the anger in his voice on Bab's Uvula Who.I love it,especially when he gets so angry and actually murmurs the words.  Insomniac  had great lyrics too. I love insomniac if i didn't mention yet

• Like 1

The vocals are one of the main reasons I'm not a huge fan of insomniac.  Good lyrics are wasted on mumbling. And if you are trying to convey anger and be emotional in a song and part of that is through the lyrics, it is totally wasted on poor vocals where you can't understand the words.  I prefer when he enunciates and you can understand what he is saying. He can still convey the emotion of the song without mumbling. In my opinion. 

Is there a full version of the concert thats between studio footage in heart like a hand grenade? 

• Hermione pinned this topic

I'm not really interested in GD anymore tbh. there's better bands out there. (yes it's an unpopular opinion) TBM (The Birthday Massacre) Symphonic Metal and goth rock are better than GD at this stage of my fandomness. 

10 minutes ago, Demon!Dean said:

I'm not really interested in GD anymore tbh. there's better bands out there. (yes it's an unpopular opinion) TBM (The Birthday Massacre) Symphonic Metal and goth rock are better than GD at this stage of my fandomness. 

Considering where you're posting this ... yeah.

Just now, Fuzz said:

Considering where you're posting this ... yeah.

i don't even know where the unpopular opinion thread gone to. too lazy to search. :lol: 

I still love them but they're not my favourite band, haven't been for at least a year (well, a year and four days).

1 hour ago, Demon!Dean said:

Boooo :thumbsdown:

19 minutes ago, Nimrod09 said:

Okay, why you here then. If you're not interested then don't post here.

To be fair, it is a random Green Day thought.  It's just one that'll probably get her killed :P

6 hours ago, Demon!Dean said:

I almost understand the feeling, but not quite, so naturally, I'm going to tell GDC my personal GD story even though no one asked for it. GD was the band that really got me into music. Never before had I loved a band or their discography so ardently. I had tried to get into popular music before I listened to GD, but nothing really clicked with me like Dookie did when I first heard it. Before that catalyst, I really just listened to Harry Potter soundtrack music and classical (as I was a serious flutist and wanted to get really good). It was my first ever album purchase, and GD really threw me into the world of band fandom. For an entire summer, I lived and breathed GD. I would listen to them all day; I was addicted. I bought band merch, all of their body of work, and memorized lyrics, saved a plethora of pics of BJA to my laptop, and other things that are stereotypical of teen female GD fans. That winter, my love of GD led me to discover The Offspring, Muse, Imagine Dragons, Coldplay, Fall Out Boy, MCR, and Nirvana, who later got me into the Ramones, Misfits, Dead Kennedys, Circle Jerks, Descendants, Husker Du, the Stooges, Black Flag, NOFX, Rise Against, and the like. I sort of "discovered" bands and genres in waves. The next spring, I had a crazy classic/hard rock obsession---Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Floyd, AC/DC, Van Halen, Boston, Cheap Trick, Thin Lizzy, Queen, the Beatles, Cream, The Who, King Crimson, ELP, Rainbow, Genesis, Rush, the Stones, Jefferson Airplane, and even Guns N' Roses. I even went through a glam metal phrase when I was absolutely infatuated with Bon Jovi, Ratt, Dokken, Warrant, Poison, the Crue, etc. Next in the progression was metal, as I discovered Sabbath, and then later Maiden, Priest, and Dio. After that, more "extreme metal" like thrash (Slayer, Anthrax, Testament, Metallica, Megadeth, Exodus, etc.), prog metal like Dream Theater, death metal (Death, Gojira, Amon Amarth), etc. At the moment, I'm definitely much more into metal and its subgenres and admittedly don't listen to GD all that much. When I do, I'm partial to the older and the heavier material, rather than the Trilogy or its ilk. I'm not going to go into more detail, because obviously no one cares, but I hope that I've made my point. Even though I've burnt through so many bands and so many sounds, the one band that I always come back to GD. I no longer listen to Coldplay, Fall Out Boy, Muse, Imagine Dragons, or Nirvana (despite owning several Nirvana T-shirts), but that one band that has been there from the beginning, GD, has always been the one closest to my heart, even dearer to me than Maiden and Priest combined. I mean, I wouldn't say that I am very interested in Green Day at the point, I really don't agree with their politics at all, and I wouldn't consider them "the most technically advanced band out there" anymore (I did once when I was a total teenybopper fan who had a massive crush on Billie), but no one will replace them as my favorite band, ever. Nor would I ever say that there is a "better" band---"better" is a very subjective term. They're the constant throughout my musical journey and really, the soundtrack to my life. I think that that is GD's greatest appeal, that they are that band that will always be there for you. Unlike other bands with a revolving door of members (Deep Purple and Megadeth are two of the biggest offenders, but I guess that Dave Mustaine's ego is a member of its own), or with frontmen who leave at the height of their careers to pursue solo careers (*cough* Maiden *cough* Priest), or with squabbling members, or with members who don't give a rat's ass about each other outside of the band (honestly, Anthrax and Motley Crue), Green Day is just so damn dependable. They also care about each other a lot and genuinely enjoy each others' company. All of those qualities shine through in the music and makes their work, to me, the most enjoyable and most emotional to listen to. I'm going to end this hulking, overly sentimental, cringey behemoth of a paragraph right here but I hope that someone else agrees. I feel really guilty about not listening to them often, and it's not something that happens with other groups. Does anyone else understand this feeling?

TL; DR - I think that I relate to not being into GD as much anymore, and I too have moved on to other music, but I really am never going to love another band as much as I love GD because they are the constant in my life/my rock. Anyone relate? Or did I write this for nothing but to name-check classic, well-respected bands that I like, like every snotty teenager has to do at some point? :P

P.S. Please excuse the mistakes and obvious awkward wording; I wrote this in a hurry. Ish.

Edited by PurpleIron1039
Autocorrect
  • Like 2

• Hermione changed the title to Random Green Day Thoughts
  • Liam unpinned this topic