Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

9 hours ago, Todd said:

Not as good as I once was, can't pull all of these from memory :P

Suffocate - Time of Your Life Single (1998)
Desensitized - Time of Your Life Single (1998)
You Lied - Time of Your Life Single (1998)
Outsider - Warning Single (2000)
Don't Wanna Fall in Love - Geek Stink Breath Single (1995)
Espionage - Hitchin' a Ride Single (1997)
I Want to Be on TV - Geek Stink Breath Single (1995)
Scumbag - Warning Single (2000)
Tired of Waiting for You - Basket Case Single (1994)
Sick of Me - Hitchin' a Ride Single (1997) [Originally titled "Sick"]
Rotting - Time of Your Life Single (1998)
Do Da Da - Brain Stew/Jaded Single (1996)
On the Wagon - Basket Case Single (1994)

These tracks have been repeated on soundtracks, deluxe versions of the albums, and again on later singles, but these should all be the first appearance for each song :D 

That lines up with what I wrote/Wikipedia. I think the thing in question is when the songs were originally written/recorded rather than when they were first released then (eg Bunz wonders if You Lied and Rotting were from Insomniac sessions). Unfortunately I think that's a lot harder to find out, I don't know if that info is out there for every song.

4 hours ago, Hermione said:

That lines up with what I wrote/Wikipedia. I think the thing in question is when the songs were originally written/recorded rather than when they were first released then (eg Bunz wonders if You Lied and Rotting were from Insomniac sessions). Unfortunately I think that's a lot harder to find out, I don't know if that info is out there for every song.

You Lied was from the Insomniac session. No clue about Rotting. 

• Like 1

Guys do you think in their next album they are sonically gonna change a lot or will stay the same like trilogy with little modifications?

Before Hall Of Fame they stated that they want the next record to have more LIVE feel to it, which I think means more raw and hardcore and earlier before they were having like 4-5 songs which were just great and going in the right directions. If they can make a great album like Dookie only in about 3 weeks, I hope we should get this one soon :happy: 

54 minutes ago, Siddharth_471 said:

Guys do you think in their next album they are sonically gonna change a lot or will stay the same like trilogy with little modifications?

Before Hall Of Fame they stated that they want the next record to have more LIVE feel to it, which I think means more raw and hardcore and earlier before they were having like 4-5 songs which were just great and going in the right directions. If they can make a great album like Dookie only in about 3 weeks, I hope we should get this one soon :happy: 

Billie's been talking a live feel since before AI the trilogy was set up to sound like it was a live feel but well we see how that turned out 

• Like 1

I wish Billie would put more complicated solos into the music. Some of the ones from 1039 SOSH were very nice.

10 hours ago, PurpleIron1039 said:

I wish Billie would put more complicated solos into the music. Some of the ones from 1039 SOSH were very nice.

There was nothing complicated in 1039 SOSH.  All the songs are pretty simplistic.  There is nothing Green Day that is super complicated.  However, they added more complexity as they got older.  What i find is that they tend to write songs in piece parts.  Each piece part tends to be pretty easy, but playing them altogether in one song can be a bit tricky.  Minority is one of their trickier songs.  Brutal Love is one of their more complex songs, musically.  I know they took part of it from a Sam Cooke song, but it is still fairly complex musically.  So, my long winded point is that their newer stuff is more complex. 

• Like 2

• Fuzz unpinned this topic
On February 6, 2016 at 9:50 AM, JJ1964 said:

There was nothing complicated in 1039 SOSH.  All the songs are pretty simplistic.  There is nothing Green Day that is super complicated.  However, they added more complexity as they got older.  What i find is that they tend to write songs in piece parts.  Each piece part tends to be pretty easy, but playing them altogether in one song can be a bit tricky.  Minority is one of their trickier songs.  Brutal Love is one of their more complex songs, musically.  I know they took part of it from a Sam Cooke song, but it is still fairly complex musically.  So, my long winded point is that their newer stuff is more complex. 

I didn't mean that they had complex solos. The 2 sentences were meant to be taken separately. I was trying to express that I wish they would write more complicated riffs and solos, but also that I thought that 1039 SOSH had nice solos. 

Some of the solos on 1039 are much more articulated than their recent ones though. Billie didn't even perform the whole Dry Ice solo in Cleveland (not sure why, maybe needed more rehearsal?). I also wish he'd throw in some of that stuff.

1 hour ago, Master Roshi said:

Some of the solos on 1039 are much more articulated than their recent ones though. Billie didn't even perform the whole Dry Ice solo in Cleveland (not sure why, maybe needed more rehearsal?). I also wish he'd throw in some of that stuff.

That may be true but the dry ice solo is still not difficult.  It sounds great but is still not complex.  It is just a variation of scales, as 99% of solos are.  

3 hours ago, Master Roshi said:

I think the reason Billie dropped the solo from Dry Ice live because I think he mentioned that he believed a lot of solos on their pre-Kerplunk releases were unneccessary. Billie was really anti-solo for a while.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ham Pascale said:

I think the reason Billie dropped the solo from Dry Ice live because I think he mentioned that he believed a lot of solos on their pre-Kerplunk releases were unneccessary. Billie was really anti-solo for a while.

Billie has never been a big solo guy.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PurpleIron1039 said:

I didn't mean that they had complex solos. The 2 sentences were meant to be taken separately. I was trying to express that I wish they would write more complicated riffs and solos, but also that I thought that 1039 SOSH had nice solos. 

Even holding the punk rock title since the beginning they have been making solos (though it is a fact that punk songs have very less complex and small solos because they are too fast and short) but still they make it maybe as they take rock n roll as a whole and yes, 39/Smooth and Kerplunk! have some great solos and chances are there that it will be present in their upcoming music too. But c'mon you just can't expect shreddings in the style of Iron Maiden or Pantera :P 

3 minutes ago, BetterThanAir said:

I want Green Day to cover Feeling Good so fucking bad UGHHHHhhHHHHh

I never thought about it before, but that could be really interesting.  Billie at the mike until after the first Feelin' Good and then it turns to a punk cover.  That could really work.

Supposedly, Billie covered Crazy Train in Geezer.  I'm pretty anxious to hear that.   

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

I never thought about it before, but that could be really interesting.  Billie at the mike until after the first Feelin' Good and then it turns to a punk cover.  That could really work.

Supposedly, Billie covered Crazy Train in Geezer.  I'm pretty anxious to hear that.   

I didn't even know that!!! I'm eager for that now. 

Muse did an amazing job of covering that song and House of the Rising Sun and I always wondered how Green Day would sound doing it too. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steven Seagull said:

I want this! I found this though. Close enough http://www.tingtong.si/trgovina/product_info.php?products_id=19784

It does look nice. Next week I'll try P&B anyway because I found no band t-shirts on their online store but i'm sure they always have some :D Also cookies are called piškotky in Slovenian. I'm oficially in love with that language :lol:

4 hours ago, BetterThanAir said:

I want Green Day to cover Feeling Good so fucking bad UGHHHHhhHHHHh

It would be so great. It would suit his voice really well. 

I want to hear the Crazy Train cover. It will be good or a disaster but interesting no matter how it turns out. 

On 2/8/2016 at 2:29 AM, Ham Pascale said:

Best Billie quote on the subject: "They don't need to hear a 15 minute cocaine wank guitar fest and we don't give it to them."

20 hours ago, BetterThanAir said:

Muse did an amazing job of covering that song and House of the Rising Sun and I always wondered how Green Day would sound doing it too. 

Agreed! Muse's House of the Rising Sun is the best. Green Day did a little sneak preview of it here

• Like 2

On 2/8/2016 at 9:29 PM, Ham Pascale said:

On 2/8/2016 at 9:34 PM, JJ1964 said:

Billie has never been a big solo guy.  

I think I remember him saying a long time ago, that the early/mid 90s were the opposite of playing solos and being proud of your musicianship due to the grunge movement. Or at least that was what he implied. That was one of the reasons why Insomniac was so self-deprecating, because he wanted to take pride in his work but it wasn't the "cool" thing to do at the time. 

I wish I could find that interview somewhere.  

• Like 2

I don't need guitar solos but i like nice melodys. if they are gonna do guitar solos ,i hope it'll be Dry Ice style.  but if they don't, that's okay because what they do great is nice melodies and they nail it.

1 hour ago, Maid Meringue said:

I think I remember him saying a long time ago, that the early/mid 90s were the opposite of playing solos and being proud of your musicianship due to the grunge movement. Or at least that was what he implied. That was one of the reasons why Insomniac was so self-deprecating, because he wanted to take pride in his work but it wasn't the "cool" thing to do at the time. 

I wish I could find that interview somewhere.  

http://www.nyrock.com/interviews/greenday.htm

is this it? 

• Hermione changed the title to Random Green Day Thoughts
  • Hermione pinned this topic
  • Liam unpinned this topic