Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

and then shake hands with you

Don't give me movies starting to play in my head. God knows how less he washes his hands 👾 Didn't he say he improved his hygiene?

21 minutes ago, jengd said:

Yep, Glasgow, I think it was June 2010 21CBD tour, laid blue on the stage and dashed off, he wasn’t gone long 😂😂

Is there a video of this? (Not the peeing, the crowd waiting for him)  I would have trouble peeing when being aware that thousands of people wait for me to play outside. Had just 60 yesterday and got real nervous while peeing.

Edited by Savannah89

Just now, Beerjeezus said:

I don't blame Billie because he likely wasn't able to make a best judgement, but what seems weird to me is that how the fuck wasn't anyone else able to see the album wasn't heading towards a shitshow. It's almost like the rest of the band, Rob Cavallo or anyone else who worked on it were as unable of self-reflection as him.

Well my guess is that everybody wanted to do their thing and make money. As I said Mike and Tre wanted those songs out and it's not like they hadn't had to deal with each other being high/drunk all these years. So they kept pushing. Let's do the tour, let's promote those albums, let's have angry birds green day. Then we'll deal with Billie starting to overdo it with his drinking or sleeping pills. And the way life works it didn't happen like this. It had to be done though. Billie had to go through all this to get clean.

Also there has to be something shady with Rob. I remember after american idiot something happened and they fought. Then they didn't work with him for 21st. And then they had to refind their relationship to work together on the trilogy again. And then on the next release they still didn't work with him and now seems like they still aren't working with him ether. Maybe it's just that they wanna work with new people and I'm reaching it's surely true though that between ai and the trilogy something had happened with them and Rob.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fan-since-1995 said:

Don't give me movies starting to play in my head. God knows how less he washes his hands 👾 Didn't he say he improved his hygiene?

Maybe he did inprove it but do I want to imagine what that implies about the past? :lol:

4 minutes ago, fan-since-1995 said:

Is there a video of this? (Not the peeing, the crowd waiting for him)  I would have trouble peeing when being aware that thousands of people wait for me to play outside. Had just 60 yesterday and got real nervous while peeing.

Doesn't this story exist about billie as a five year old going on hospitals and singing to sick people as he wanted them to feel better? Imagine doing that your whole life. That man is born to be on-stage  he can't get nervous taking a break to pee :lol: 

2 minutes ago, petros said:

Well my guess is that everybody wanted to do their thing and make money. As I said Mike and Tre wanted those songs out and it's not like they hadn't had to deal with each other being high/drunk all these years. So they kept pushing. Let's do the tour, let's promote those albums, let's have angry birds green day. Then we'll deal with Billie starting to overdo it with his drinking or sleeping pills. And the way life works it didn't happen like this. It had to be done though. Billie had to go through all this to get clean.

Also there has to be something shady with Rob. I remember after american idiot something happened and they fought. Then they didn't work with him for 21st. And then they had to refind their relationship to work together on the trilogy again. And then on the next release they still didn't work with him and now seems like they still aren't working with him ether. Maybe it's just that they wanna work with new people and I'm reaching it's surely true though that between ai and the trilogy something had happened with them and Rob.

Yeah, I guess they just wanted to do their job and also were used to it, but I wonder if they realized what they were doing wasn't perfect or if they weren't aware. Did no one think the albums needed more work? Did no one think "maybe we shouldn't do the angry birds?" or "maybe we don't need that many boobs in that vid?". I get that they wanted to do it, but why didn't they try to do it better. It took them years to create Breakdown and Idiot, so it doesn't seem rushing work (or cringy promo) is their style. If Billie didn't see a problem with that, someone else could have.

I'd bet they're not going to work with Rob again. He didn't do a good job with Trilogy and they didn't need him to do their "typical green day" thing so looking for someone else and trying something new seems logical.

6 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Yeah, I guess they just wanted to do their job and also were used to it, but I wonder if they realized what they were doing wasn't perfect or if they weren't aware. Did no one think the albums needed more work? Did no one think "maybe we shouldn't do the angry birds?" or "maybe we don't need that many boobs in that vid?". I get that they wanted to do it, but why didn't they try to do it better. It took them years to create Breakdown and Idiot, so it doesn't seem rushing work (or cringy promo) is their style. If Billie didn't see a problem with that, someone else could have.

I'd bet they're not going to work with Rob again. He didn't do a good job with Trilogy and they didn't need him to do their "typical green day" thing so looking for someone else and trying something new seems logical.

Well billie did like the way the trilogy sounded back then he mentioned it a couple of times how he wanted to create power pop songs with the guitars sounding like  that. About the songs being much better if they actually worked on them more I still haven't figured out how they couldn't see it. Mid life crisis is one explanation considering their age at the time, the way they dressed at the time, the rock star video clips and overdoing it with party and alcohol. Thank god that era is long gone. Still have my trilogy boxset though wish I had a special edition of another release:thumbsdown:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, petros said:

Doesn't this story exist about billie as a five year old going on hospitals and singing to sick people as he wanted them to feel better? Imagine doing that your whole life. That man is born to be on-stage  he can't get nervous taking a break to pee

I don't get what this had to do with the peeing experience.

37 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

do I want to imagine what that implies about the past?

Bette not. We all know he suffered from lices and all this.

1 hour ago, Beerjeezus said:

How do we know what he does when he's out of sight? He may as well be peeing into a bucket and then shake hands with you

Don't forget, in that same documentary, we saw him hug the girl who got onstage and put his hands in her hair. After his bucket time. :)

16 minutes ago, solongfromthestars said:

My favourite stage-toilet story is Mike having diarrhea so he had to shit in a stage side bucket between songs. That's dedication.

I was going to go get a snack. Rethinking that now...

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Montclare said:

Don't forget, in that same documentary, we saw him hug the girl who got onstage and put his hands in her hair. After his bucket time. :)

:) I want to get on stage yes I still do :cry:

28 minutes ago, petros said:

Well billie did like the way the trilogy sounded back then he mentioned it a couple of times how he wanted to create power pop songs with the guitars sounding like  that. About the songs being much better if they actually worked on them more I still haven't figured out how they couldn't see it. Mid life crisis is one explanation considering their age at the time, the way they dressed at the time, the rock star video clips and overdoing it with party and alcohol. Thank god that era is long gone. Still have my trilogy boxset though wish I had a special edition of another release:thumbsdown:

Yeah, it's hard to understand they didn't notice the albums needed more work. Whoever was in charge of the promo was out of touch with reality too.

Also who can forget the 3d oh love lyric video? :lol:

Anyways, i'lll give my green day album ranking as well i'm interest in other people's too. Mine's like: idiot>insomniac>21stcb>kerlpunk>warning>shenanigans>dookie>nimrod>1039>>>>>>>>>>revrad>dos>uno>tre

Yeah I don't love dookie, fight me.

On 5/11/2019 at 9:31 AM, Beerjeezus said:

Awwwlaaaaws?

Lol! Yeah, and plenty of other songs.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, petros said:

Billie himself wanted to carry on, he's a workaholic. When I saw them in London in 2012 they were really late on stage and it wasn't until months later after iHeart (that interview you posted is from right before the iHeart show when he was drunk as hell btw so no surprise he was acting like that during it) and rehab had happened that he revealed the reason for that was his manager/people had been trying to get him to cancel the show and go to rehab that day because they knew he needed it but he refused because he wanted to play the show.

I'm sure that knowing others had a stake in it contributed to it but it was ultimately up to him whether to stop or not, his management had been trying to get him to and his bandmates would've supported him. We don't know in what ways Mike and Tre or others close to him tried to help him so I don't think you can judge anyone around him, it was his own responsibility and choice.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Billie himself wanted to carry on, he's a workaholic. When I saw them in London in 2012 they were really late on stage and it wasn't until months later after iHeart (that interview you posted is from right before the iHeart show when he was drunk as hell btw so no surprise he was acting like that during it) and rehab had happened that he revealed the reason for that was his manager/people had been trying to get him to cancel the show and go to rehab that day because they knew he needed it but he refused because he wanted to play the show.

I'm sure that knowing others had a stake in it contributed to it but it was ultimately up to him whether to stop or not, his management had been trying to get him to and his bandmates would've supported him. We don't know in what ways Mike and Tre or others close to him tried to help him so I don't think you can judge anyone around him, it was his own responsibility and choice.

Well, yes, that's what I'm getting at. The rehab was Billie's own responsibility, that part was only up to him, but it seems no one else in the band had the agency to make other decisions like not putting out an undercooked record, not getting involved in the questionable promo stuff they did etc. One would think someone else could've said nope to to that.

5 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

Well, yes, that's what I'm getting at. The rehab was Billie's own responsibility, that part was only up to him, but it seems no one else in the band had the agency to make other decisions like not putting out an undercooked record, not getting involved in the questionable promo stuff they did etc. One would think someone else could've said nope to to that.

I think it probably just seems more obvious that there was any problem with the albums or promotion in hindsight. At the time they probably didn't think they were undercooked, they were happy with them and most fans were liking the songs when they first came out too. And promo stuff wasn't that odd, they were just promoting their album in the ways available. Wasn't the first time they'd done somewhat cheesy promotion, they had those ringtones and every kind of merchandise you could think of for American Idiot and 21 Guns in Transformers 2 etc. If iHeart/Billie needing rehab and cancelled shows right as the albums came out hadn't wrecked the whole Uno Dos Tre era I doubt the albums themselves or the promotion would be seen as nearly as much of a mistake or anything that should've been a cause for concern now.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

Rob didn’t do a good job? Rob did what he was hired to do... at the end of the day a producer works for the band not the band working for the producer the producer can and does suggest things but ultimately the band is who decides what happens a producer can’t force the band into decisions also GD co produced it as well so if we are blaming producers well you also have to blame Billie Mike and Tre as well if you didn’t like the production cause once you boil things down it’s THEIR fault on that not Rob’s 

4 hours ago, Hermione said:

I think it probably just seems more obvious that there was any problem with the albums or promotion in hindsight. At the time they probably didn't think they were undercooked, they were happy with them and most fans were liking the songs when they first came out too. And promo stuff wasn't that odd, they were just promoting their album in the ways available. Wasn't the first time they'd done somewhat cheesy promotion, they had those ringtones and every kind of merchandise you could think of for American Idiot and 21 Guns in Transformers 2 etc. If iHeart/Billie needing rehab and cancelled shows right as the albums came out hadn't wrecked the whole Uno Dos Tre era I doubt the albums themselves or the promotion would be seen as nearly as much of a mistake or anything that should've been a cause for concern now.

I don't know, it might be that I have nothing to compare it with because I joined the fandom a while after Breakdown came out. Maybe a bit of a cringefest was to be expected from them and I didn't know. :P In hindsight it's not a big deal, especially because it seems they cooled it with RevRad.

4 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

Rob didn’t do a good job? Rob did what he was hired to do... at the end of the day a producer works for the band not the band working for the producer the producer can and does suggest things but ultimately the band is who decides what happens a producer can’t force the band into decisions also GD co produced it as well so if we are blaming producers well you also have to blame Billie Mike and Tre as well if you didn’t like the production cause once you boil things down it’s THEIR fault on that not Rob’s 

It's their fault too, of course.

I enjoyed the trilogy promo as it was happening. It was a fun and exciting time - more so than 21st Century Breakdown's promo with that being so serious and taking a more obvious toll on the band. Even playing Angry Birds was tempting because I wanted to hear the song snippets :P If the band had a say in that (which I doubt they really did) that was probably their thinking too. They were excited and wanted to get the music out there however they could.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hermione said:

Well obviously it's all on billie. We were just commenting on others position in it. 

1 hour ago, WhiteTim said:

Rob's job should have been to tell them as a producer to not release 37 songs and work more on 15 of them and release that. 

• Like 1

I was super excited when Billie played snippets of the songs from his phone during some radio show. That was badass 

• Like 3

@petros my album ranking is almost opposite to yours lol! It's hard for me to rank most of the albums, but my fave are definitely RevRad and the trilogy, which you put in last.

I'm glad of the change in sound they made from the trilogy (and kept in RevRad somehow, at least it's a continuity), in first because the songs are much more fun to listen to (not necessarily the topics, but the way they sound) compared to AI and 21CB. There are tremendous songs in both of these albums but when it comes to the album in full, I feel a little depressed listening in one go to either of them. Billie also said that during that period Green Day lacked goofiness which is the aspect he always loved about the band. As for the trilogy being that many songs at once, which means a lot of work to get to play new songs from each albums on massive tours which they are used to, and having to deal with many promotion opportunities, I think the way it turned is mostly inherent to Billie himself, to his 'workaholicsm' which pushed him to put out 3 records while having a hard time to deal with all it implied afterwards, being unable to refrain as much work and promotion as he should have to spare his health, rather than the fact there were so many songs from the start. Someone else could have taken it cooler, refuse to do too much promotion and be more careful to their own health. I'm not blaming Billie and I'm glad that in hindsight, all this experience has allowed him to respect his limits and know what to do and not to do during an album promotion, but it would be a little unfair to say that all the people around him should've seen things coming. No one can know for someone else how they can or can't take something, which they chose themselves, like getting out 37 songs, and then doing the shows and promotion stuff they accepted to do.

As for Rob Cavallo, they seem in good terms to me but yeah perhaps the boys want to make something new, and not have the impression of re-living some past situations. I doesn't necessarily means he didn't do a good job to their eyes, we don't know that. I really like the trilogy albums the way they are. The fact GD could have resumed their tour after Billie's rehab, and played what they had started to play the previous year, shows that it wasn't such a big stretch for them to do it, it was mostly Billie's health issues that made him more fragile before. Perhaps also the weight of the themes tackled on these albums made them made them difficult to put out while being in these things (addiction, sex, danger) at the same time. It must've felt like an escalation then, because the touring life gives even more access to that.

And about the Oh Love video (since it started with that!), I'm not into that rock star/model thing and neither of the boys is really either, but perhaps that's also why it became a preoccupation when they were approaching 40. If there's something about it they wanted to experience, and not only show as a promoting video, it joins one of the trilogy themes: rethinking their rockstar status, writing more about sex, parties, danger, because all that were real preoccupations for them, so the video is an illustration for that. Some of the songs especially on Dos are more raw than this video. If Billie was really into that at the time, he chose to write about it, I think it's better that way. Also, in the Oh Love vid I don't see that women are seen like objects, they all seem on an equal footing, wanting to be there and spending the moment they want.

All I think after that Convo is how I forgot there was green day angry birds 🙄

• Like 1

I don't even know why Green Day in Angry Birds is considered that bad. They had a song in Freddy Got Fingered for god's sake :lol:. The American Idiot ringtones are total cringe, and I own a Green Day make up bag from Claire's Accessories. They probably thought it would be fun to see themselves as birds in the game :P, I don't know why they'd be considered above it looking at some of their previous promotion.

• Liam unpinned this topic