Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

29 minutes ago, The Bellie said:

I can't believe I just innocently asked about that tie Billie wears in his pocket (and wore one myself like that for fun when I played GD songs in front of people... which I'll think about twice next time :shy:) and that what comes out of it is that Billie probably indicates to his audience being a sub S&M (for the black). If you take into account the polka dots you have grey and it becomes BDSM :lol:...

Well, 2019 starts great, to get to know this information...  

Hide contents

... maybe now I'll fangirl about imaginary Billie-involving stuff with less guilt since it may be in fact realistic :P

...the more you know :lol:

• Haha 3

I didn't know "Know Your Enemy" was used in the movie "The Spy Next Door"! It was on a commerical before a movie we watched over the holidays :lol:

This is the trailer: 

KYE is towards the end

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Was randomly scrolling, ended up at the GDC stats... 

Anyone feel we should try to fix this??? 

I2zlv93.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Goofygoldfish said:

More importantly, what happened on the 22nd July for so many people to be online? 

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Goofygoldfish said:

THIS is the number one reason Green Day need to get a new album out

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Hermione said:

THIS is the number one reason Green Day need to get a new album out

I'm prepared for this day like it's Armageddon. :lol:

• Haha 1

People questioning the band's morals over this Jeff thing has made me wonder what others think of I Want Revenge by The Boo? I've kind of forgotten about it now, but singing about killing someone - with their kids who were minors at the time - and passing it off as an innocent family album made me incredibly uncomfortable. Sure, it was just some Christmas fun and I know a lot of fans consider it unfair to comment for that reason, but they chose to make it public (even sending it out to fans) and invited discussion by doing so. To me, it's worse than the Tim Yohannon stuff because it was under the guise of Christmas fun. It was also more immature considering they were a lot older than Billie was when he wrote Platypus.

I actually got a death threat for saying something much less accusatory about it at the time, which is ironic :lol: But I feel the fandom has matured since then and it's probably safe to bring it up without anyone threatening to find and strangle me. I'm not by any means saying they're bad people - obviously, I wouldn't still be a fan if I thought so! Not comparing it to Jeff either because that's action and this was just words and they're totally different things anyway. I'm just curious how other people interpret or justify it. Hopefully we can have a polite discussion :P 

The lyrics:

And we will dance until the sun rises!
And our children will form a family band!
And we will tour the countryside and you won't be invited!

I got my atom bomb,
I'm gonna do you wrong
I want revenge!

Every dog has it's day,
I'm gonna make you pay
I want revenge!

I'm gonna break your heart
I'm smashing it apart,
If it's the last thing I do
You better watch your back,
'cause you're under attack
If it's the last thing I do, it's sweet revenge
Revenge!

I'll burn your house down,
Into a ghost town
I want revenge!

And you'll never be missed,
I'll seal it with a kiss
I want revenge!

I'm gonna break your heart
I'm smashing it apart,
If it's the last thing I do
You better watch your back,
'cause you're under attack
If it's the last thing I do, it's sweet revenge
Revenge!

There's a minor death threat in Super Starship too - "Give me, give me my guns / And I'm gonna shoot you down and out of sight"

It’s a song though, like writing fiction, not something he’s actually done. It’s like singing from the POV of a psycho. No different from Having A Blast, Peacemaker or Bang Bang. How did you feel about those?

• Like 4

I don't take any issue with it at all. Kids are presented with all kinds of questionable content in songs and other media all the time and it's the last thing that upsets me.

14 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It’s a song though, like writing fiction, not something he’s actually done. It’s like singing from the POV of a psycho. No different from Having A Blast, Peacemaker or Bang Bang. How did you feel about those?

I think putting a violent song on a Christmas record meant to be for fun is very different to writing dramatic fiction on serious albums. It also doesn't come across to me as singing from a point of view that isn't their own in the same way as Bang Bang or Peacemaker. Even though it's unlikely to be something they'd ever act on, I still think releasing it that way was petty and immature and if the subject is a real person (which they might not be, we'll never know), really unpleasant for them.

1 minute ago, solongfromthestars said:

I think putting a violent song on a Christmas record meant to be for fun is very different to writing dramatic fiction on serious albums. It also doesn't come across to me as singing from a point of view that isn't their own in the same way as Bang Bang or Peacemaker. Even though it's unlikely to be something they'd ever act on, I still think releasing it that way was petty and immature and if the subject is a real person (which they might not be, we'll never know), really unpleasant for them.

We’ll have to disagree then but of course it’s a pov other than their own. We have no reason to suspect he’s that crazy. Whether it’s a Christmas record or a GD record makes no difference to me. Green Day records aren’t “serious” either. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

We’ll have to disagree then but of course it’s a pov other than their own. We have no reason to suspect he’s that crazy. Whether it’s a Christmas record or a GD record makes no difference to me. Green Day records aren’t “serious” either. 

Platypus was obviously from his own POV though and I don't think that makes him crazy. It was just an immature sentiment used as a metaphor for hatred. He was (probably) never going to piss on anyone's grave, but the feelings he was singing about were still his own. That's how I see I Want Revenge and what I mean by it being from their own POV unlike Bang Bang. The death threats were obviously for metaphorical effect and not anything they'll act on, but the sentiment was still there and that's what I consider immature. We can of course agree to disagree on that though.

I  know people are still upset by Billie's comments about Steve Jobs even though it was arguably fuelled by drink and drugs. What makes that  different to "I Want Revenge"? Is it because Steve Jobs was a real person and we don't know if the subject of "I Want Revenge" exists? I suppose they were also comments and not a song which can be argued to be completely fictional.

I do remember that back when it was released people only had to express their slightest dislike of the whole project to receive death threats and the like from other fans but I think if someone like Taylor Swift were to release something similar she would be heavily criticised.

21 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

It's not like it's Eminem level of violence too.

Right? Like this is nothing compared to Slim Shady 😂

8 minutes ago, The Bellie said:

@solongfromthestars I just listened to it with the lyrics, this thing reminds me of "Too much, too soon" and "Kill your friends". :P My feeling (like yours) is that it's not to be taken at the first degree, it's not an invitation to revenge and all that's write in the lyrics. Maybe music can sometimes help you fantasize about bad things you wouldn't think doing for real. But for my part, I don't really think those feeling themselves are immature, they're human, and it may be even more mature to write them down through songs. (I also don't feel the rage against Jeff that's more or less happening, I just posted something about it the Random GD news thread where it's been discussed.) For example, how is "I'm gonna make a racket, I'm gonna start a riot, I'm gonna make you crush and burn" (in Turn Me Loose) more mature? or even singing about revolution sometimes? but it's fun. And not only do I believe it's all to be taken on the second degree, but also in a self-derision way sometimes. Of course, not every one may interpret it like me, but anyways, I think it's rather positive to express what could really cross your mind (in Platypus and Ha ha you're dead for example) in songs, it's the best place for it (and I Want Revenge seems to me like one of the most sarcastic, non-serious songs on that subject). I don't think you create a desire of murdering someone because you write that and share it. Everyone feels hate towards someone once in a while, it's human.

Edit: sending death threats on the internet, especially for expressing opinions, is one of the stupidest things ever... I'm sorry you had to go through that

Yeah, I think you're right that people can fantasize in music (or art in general) about things they'd never actually do and that isn't always a bad thing. I also don't think it's criminal for people to be immature sometimes when they're not generally bad people, which is why I haven't judged them for releasing it - or Platypus or Ha Ha You're Dead for that matter. As for how sarcastic or serious it is, I guess that's down to each person's individual interpretation. To me, singing "I'm gonna make you crash and burn" as a metaphor for breaking someone's heart isn't as bad as singing "I'll burn your house down" as an expression of hatred portrayed as a cute family thing, so it doesn't bother me. It's interesting to see how different people see things differently though.

• Like 1

For me the line might me drawn when it's revealed who's the target. I don't have a problem with Platypus as a song itself, because it could be fiction, but I've felt about it differently since I've discovered that Billie's been walking around talking about how he's happy that Tim Y. died of cancer. That's not very nice ya know.

11 minutes ago, LaughingClock said:

Really?!

Its out of control.

What about this song by the Beatles?

Now here is a song on one of the most highly acclaimed albums of all time in the late 60s, that sounds whimsical and happy but what it’s really about is a serial killer who goes and kills everyone he meets.

Keep in mind that this was written by Sir Paul who is the less edgy one. He usually writes love songs and slow songs and this one sounds like “When I’m 64” so it escaped a lot of people but if you listen to each line, you will see that this song is about a serial killer named Maxwell who liked to kill his victims with his silver hammer.

Have we regressed to pre 60s censorship. Paul McCartney could hardly be pegged as anything but a lover and a gentleman but here he is writing a song about a guy who goes out on excursions with people to kill them dead, and that’s fine.

What about Brain Stew? That song is about doing amphetamines (crosstops). It’s called art and is not supposed to be censored or taken at its face value, just like if you see a film or play a video game. It’s entertainment when we are talking about song lyrics. 

And that part where Paul is laughing in the Beatles song? John Lennon mooned him while tripping on acid. The 60's were a weird time.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, LaughingClock said:

Every time is weird. The world is weird. I agree.

😂 Welcome back dude. Couldn’t stay away for long could ya?

I agree that once we start judging song lyrics it gets ridiculous. Next thing we’ll be going all Tipper Gore and putting warning stickers on everything to protect impressionable young minds.  Won’t somebody think of the children?! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Liam unpinned this topic