Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

Hopefully Back in the USA can get to 12 million views by Friday as it would be nice for it to have 12 million views in its 1st year on YouTube. It is currently on 11.1 million. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedundantIdiot said:

Hopefully Back in the USA can get to 12 million views by Friday as it would be nice for it to have 12 million views in its 1st year on YouTube. It is currently on 11.1 million. 

I watched it over the weekend & was surprised by the 11 million views.

46 minutes ago, The_real_st_jimmy said:

I hope Billie, Mike and Tre are safe and ok with the fires in California right now 😣

I’m mostly just hoping they’re good about wearing high quality masks. Don’t even want to think about what breathing that smoke in would do to their health.

• Like 2

So I don't really know where to post this, but my mom used to work in radio and was scheduling a show at the Phoenix Underground in Seattle and Green Day was playing. It was right before Subpop signed them on to record Dookie. She described Billie as a 'bratty little punk with blue hair' that was full of himself! And the band was just a little too young to be in the club so between sets they had to sit outside in the alleyway. My mom didn't really get to talk to them, just small interactions as she was doing a remote radio setup for the station. And I was just so shocked, like that could never be BJA based upon what she said! But I guess people change and serious, fast-paced fame like that can really get into your head. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

So I don't really know where to post this, but my mom used to work in radio and was scheduling a show at the Phoenix Underground in Seattle and Green Day was playing. It was right before Subpop signed them on to record Dookie. She described Billie as a 'bratty little punk with blue hair' that was full of himself! And the band was just a little too young to be in the club so between sets they had to sit outside in the alleyway. My mom didn't really get to talk to them, just small interactions as she was doing a remote radio setup for the station. And I was just so shocked, like that could never be BJA based upon what she said! But I guess people change and serious, fast-paced fame like that can really get into your head. 

Sounds like an accurate description of young Billie to me haha. It's cool that your mum got to meet the little brat

• Like 3

7 hours ago, gaslight13 said:

I’m mostly just hoping they’re good about wearing high quality masks. Don’t even want to think about what breathing that smoke in would do to their health.

It can't make that much of a difference after all that weed smoke they've inhaled over the years. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

It can't make that much of a difference after all that weed smoke they've inhaled over the years. :P

Breathing in this is more like smoking a hundred joints a day 😟

3 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

Haha, at least weed isn’t toxic. God only knows what’s in this smoke with all kinds of buildings/materials burning.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2018 at 11:30 PM, maryjanewhatsername said:

Subpop? You mean Reprise?

4 hours ago, PleasedToMeetMe said:

Subpop? You mean Reprise?

I have no idea. That was the record company my mom said they were dealing with. They might have changed their name or something, or she might be remembering incorrectly. 

Out of ¡UNO!, ¡DOS!, and ¡TRÉ!, what is your favorite album and why? I just have a harder time listening to these three than any of their other albums and I'd love some really positive feedback on why everyone loves them and why they're so good. So far, I think my favorite is ¡TRÉ! 

Just now, squashie09 said:

Would subpop have been their management company at the time? 

Dude, possibly. That sounds a lot more familiar. She said Subpop was moving Green Day up to Seattle to work around Nirvana and the other grunge bands because they wanted a similar sound. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

Dude, possibly. That sounds a lot more familiar. She said Subpop was moving Green Day up to Seattle to work around Nirvana and the other grunge bands because they wanted a similar sound. 

This story doesn't sound right at all. Green Day has never wanted to sound like Nirvana, and their management company at the time was Cahn Man productions. Sub Pop is a record label but as far as I know Green Day was never going to be on there.

also, did Billie even have blue hair before Dookie came out? I thought his pre-dookie look was when he had dreads

1 hour ago, Maddie86 said:

This story doesn't sound right at all. Green Day has never wanted to sound like Nirvana, and their management company at the time was Cahn Man productions. Sub Pop is a record label but as far as I know Green Day was never going to be on there.

also, did Billie even have blue hair before Dookie came out? I thought his pre-dookie look was when he had dreads

I agree all of those details sound wrong. Maybe she confused them with a different band or the time frame was way off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I agree all of those details sound wrong. Maybe she confused them with a different band or the time frame was way off.

I honestly have no idea. This is just what my mom told me every since I was little. 

On 11/11/2018 at 10:30 PM, maryjanewhatsername said:

@Jane Lannister @pacejunkie punk @Maddie86 So I just called my mom about this and she was WAY off for time frame. She said she met him while she was pregnant with my brother in '95 😂 my brother was born mid 1995 so her time frame was waaaaaayyyy off! I told her that's after Dookie and her old ass was stubborn. "no I swear it was before!" 🙃 so I'm really sorry for the weirdness and the inconsistency. You guys are right - my mom is old. 😂

• Like 3

It was over two decades ago so I think she can be forgiven for not remembering every detail of meeting snotty young Billie 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

Out of ¡UNO!, ¡DOS!, and ¡TRÉ!, what is your favorite album and why? I just have a harder time listening to these three than any of their other albums and I'd love some really positive feedback on why everyone loves them and why they're so good. So far, I think my favorite is ¡TRÉ! 

I think my favorite is also Tre, but I've loved the three of them from the start, same as all Green Day material from 21 CB. As to tell you why, I don't know, it's kind of personal, but the songs speak a lot to me. I don't see fillers more than any other album. The songs are different, without being really lighter, they speak of slightly different things in a different way than the previous albums, and I love their way of expressing them. Half of my favorite GD songs belong to the trilogy. I've been straightaway crazy about Stay The Night, Lazy Bones, Brutal Love, Walk Away and The Forgotten for instance and lately I can't stop listening to Stray Heart, Loss of Control, Sweet 16 and Oh Love. I've also enjoyed a lot Dos lately, notably I like Nightlife a lot even though I'm not fond of Lady Cobra's voice. But I like overall what Billie expresses in these albums. I've never had an issue about how they sound and I prefer that sound to the Demolicious sound (the album of trilogy demos). Billie himself said that he was pushing himself to write those songs but they don't feel sloppy to me, nor do they feel less accurate or honest from him, and incidentally, many of those songs have helped me and are very dear to me. That's the best I can say about it ;)

I really hope Billie, Mike and Tre are okay from the fires in California... and everything that goes wrong out there. I often listen to Billie's medley speeches during the RevRad era and I'm really hurt, to see his kindness and his positiveness and then crimes and disasters that happen. :( 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Liam unpinned this topic