Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

This conversation went in a totally weird direction, apparently XD^

Anway...

Billie Joe's vocals are amazing and have improved & evolved over the years, especially during/after his appearance on Broadway.

LISTEN

Except that his vocals on the 99 Revs tour were probably his worst ever :P

Except that his vocals on the 99 Revs tour were probably his worst ever :P

Not true at all. As I posted at the start of this topic, the only full live show I saw was the Reading show. I thought he sounded damn good.

• Like 1

I've posted about it in length there in multiple times, actually. It's a fact that he was barely hitting his notes on quite a few dates of the 99 Revs tour.

Not true at all. As I posted at the start of this topic, the only full live show I saw was the Reading show. I thought he sounded damn good.

Yeah, sure. I've duked this out with many a rabid fan in the Unpopular Opinions thread, I'm ready for the big leagues :P

I think every tour there are examples where his vocals weren't the strongest. But I don't believe his vocals were weak throughout the tour. I actually think sobriety helped him quite a bit there (lets look back to iHeart to see the worst example). Those two videos you posted, his voice seemed strained, but not to the point where I'd call his vocals weak. I still think he sounds good. So I still completely disagree with your assertion.

• Like 1

Alright Ceadog, I know we agree on a lot of things, but I honestly do think you're talking out of your colon here. Every time the topic comes up you wheel out the same couple of examples, despite the fact there are dozens of examples of him sounding fantastic. I've watched Reading in full and admittedly it's patchy, but it's not consistently awful, as you seem to think. He sounded fucking amazing at Brixton, the only time I've seen the band live since 2010, and personally I think first hand experience counts for more than a recording. And since you were there too you're not allowed to disagree, so there. :P

• Like 4

I think every tour there are examples where his vocals weren't the strongest. But I don't believe his vocals were weak throughout the tour. I actually think sobriety helped him quite a bit there (lets look back to iHeart to see the worst example). Those two videos you posted, his voice seemed strained, but not to the point where I'd call his vocals weak. I still think he sounds good. So I still completely disagree with your assertion.

The best way I've found to check his vocals is to compare how they're syncing up with Mike's harmonies. Mike is pretty much 100% so if they clash, Billies gone off. There's not much proshot footage from the 99 Revs tour so this point is kinda hard to illustrate, but it's especially noticeable at Rock Am Ring and at certain points in Reading.

Alright Ceadog, I know we agree on a lot of things, but I honestly do think you're talking out of your colon here. Every time the topic comes up you wheel out the same couple of examples, despite the fact there are dozens of examples of him sounding fantastic. I've watched Reading in full and admittedly it's patchy, but it's not consistently awful, as you seem to think. He sounded fucking amazing at Brixton, the only time I've seen the band live since 2010, and personally I think first hand experience counts for more than a recording. And since you were there too you're not allowed to disagree, so there. :P

Toeing the party line already I see :P

I've never said that Reading was completely awful, just patchy, like you said. Like I said above, there's buggerall good footage from this tour so it's difficult to prove effectively.

And you know as well as I do that first hand experience can be misleading. Adrenaline, the over loudness, and just the whole experience can mask a lot of things.

BILLIE'S VOICE IS FANTASTIC. Period.

Take your negativity somewhere else :rolleyes:

I'm so sorry I have an opinion that differs from yours. I'll try to avoid doing so in the future :)

Toeing the party line already I see :P

I've never said that Reading was completely awful, just patchy, like you said. Like I said above, there's buggerall good footage from this tour so it's difficult to prove effectively.

And you know as well as I do that first hand experience can be misleading. Adrenaline, the over loudness, and just the whole experience can mask a lot of things.

Haha, no, I've just been thinking about our discussion on this subject recently and I've decided you're wrong.

I have to disagree that first hand experience is misleading, because that's what happened - it is the experience. If anything, watching something back is misleading, for better or worse. When a band play live they're doing it for the audience that's there, which is kind of all that matters. It's like when people complain about the setlists getting stale because they watch crappy footage of every single show on YouTube and look up what they played on Setlist.fm - totally irrelevant. If it sounds good to those in attendance, that's the important thing.

I think it should be taken into account that playing live you get one chance to get it right. When you're doing 30 songs over the course of two hours, plus interacting with the audience and running around the whole time, you're not gonna sound as good as you do in the studio, when you can spend as long as you want getting the best possible take, and probably only do a song or two a day. Live stuff never has the primary function of being watched back, it's meant to be a good experience for those there at the time. So unless you're saying you thought he sucked at Brixton, your argument is invalid.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that I don't even necessarily disagree with you, you're just being overly critical and should give him a break :P

• Like 2

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that I don't even necessarily disagree with you, you're just being overly critical and should give him a break :P

BUT THAT'S MY THING LET ME HAVE MY THING

BUT THAT'S MY THING LET ME HAVE MY THING

No. :mad:

I agree with you, it's much harder to stay on key, etc., when you're running around, out of breath, focusing on keeping a stadium full of people entertained, etc.

The main reason I'm disappointed in Billie's vocals from the last tour is because I know he can do so much better (see: 21CBD tour. Fucking flawless).

Yeah, I agree with that. That tour was absolute perfection on every level. With that in mind, though, he was doing more challenging songs, therefore probably taking a more serious approach to the whole thing. But yeah, I just think his recent performances are criticised because of how good he was a couple of years ago, it's not like they're particularly bad in themselves. If we're honest he's never been the best of singers anyway, it was only really on the Breakdown tour, and now Foreverly, that he struck me as great on a technical level.

I agree with you, it's much harder to stay on key, etc., when you're running around, out of breath, focusing on keeping a stadium full of people entertained, etc.

The main reason I'm disappointed in Billie's vocals from the last tour is because I know he can do so much better (see: 21CBD tour. Fucking flawless).

I'm honestly not seeing the comparison. Maybe I've just seen enough shitty Green Day videos to realize that the range of his vocals can vary enough that it doesn't even stick with me. Watching live videos from the last tour the thought never really crossed my mind "this sounds so much worse than the last tour". In my mind I think he sounded better during the AI tour. I'm 80% sure that's nostalgia for my first concerts though.

• Like 1

Personally, I think Billie's voice has been getting better and better with age. It's always been amazing.

• Like 1

I'm honestly not seeing the comparison. Maybe I've just seen enough shitty Green Day videos to realize that the range of his vocals can vary enough that it doesn't even stick with me. Watching live videos from the last tour the thought never really crossed my mind "this sounds so much worse than the last tour". In my mind I think he sounded better during the AI tour. I'm 80% sure that's nostalgia for my first concerts though.

I'm not even sure it's just down to Billie, to be honest. I saw them twice at the same venue - 2005 on the AI tour and 2009 on the Breakdown tour, and the overall sound was so much better the second time. The band as a whole were on fire, even more so than the AI tour, and the clarity of the sound made each member's performance so much better across the board. So while I do believe Billie's vocals were better than they've ever been at that time, when a whole band sounds better it's inherently the improvement in the vocals that stand out most. Maybe that's got something to do with it.

I'm not even sure it's just down to Billie, to be honest. I saw them twice at the same venue - 2005 on the AI tour and 2009 on the Breakdown tour, and the overall sound was so much better the second time. The band as a whole were on fire, even more so than the AI tour, and the clarity of the sound made each member's performance so much better across the board. So while I do believe Billie's vocals were better than they've ever been at that time, when a whole band sounds better it's inherently the improvement in the vocals that stand out most. Maybe that's got something to do with it.

Yeah I think it also depends on where they're at on the tour. I've often caught a show at the start of the tour and they seem way more energized to be out on stage, especially when they've been off tour for a couple years.

I think Billie's voice is one of the best I've ever heard. He's in one of the best rock bands in the world, and he manages to live up to that title - keeping the crowd entertained and running around, while also maintaining a wonderful voice. When you hear some artists on a record compared to their live performances, it's just awful, but Billie remains one of the most consistent in my book. He even sometimes sounds better live.

• Like 2

I always thought Billie Joe's voice is really beautiful. I mean, you can dislike 21 Guns and the very acute notes, but admmit the voice itself is very sweet and beautiful (except while ''I say heyyy hoo'' of course), and hets better with years. his voice is one of the first reason why I love Green Day, what really hit me when I heard them for the first time.

And in live... <3

the end

I think Billie's voice was particularly strong in AAF. There's one part in Jesus of Suburbia, where he sings higher at the end of the last time he sings 'no one really seems to care.' Pretty much gives me goosebumps everytime.

• Like 2

• Hermione changed the title to Random Green Day Thoughts
  • Liam unpinned this topic
  • Hermione pinned this topic