The Trilogy is massively underrated

dudley dawson

I think the trilogy was great. Would have loved to have seen them promote this properly with tv show appearances, etc, to hear more of it live. Guess this chapter will be semi-lost in the sands of time, now.

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Baby, baby, I was born to.... KILL." Oh my god, if that is not one of the dumbest lyrics ever, butter my butt and call me a biscuit.

Okay :eyebrows:

But yeah, there's no arguing it. Baby Eyes is straight up terrible. That run of songs at the end of Dos is probably the weakest string of songs on any Green Day album.

I love Baby Eyes ´maybe cause it´s so weird and rotten and senseless. But on the other side - I have a dirty, rotten musical mind and can´t distinguish good music from bad music.

Yeah on 21stCB there are 4 rhythm guitars, 2 left, 2 right, Acoustic guitar throughout most of the album the thicken the sound and 2 lead guitars 1 left, 1 right.

Nice fact.. did they used 4 totally different tracks? like.. did they recorded it 4 times or did they just used one recording for it?

"Baby, baby, I was born to.... KILL." Oh my god, if that is not one of the dumbest lyrics ever, butter my butt and call me a biscuit.

Aww but that's awesome though because it's a pun on eye/I. "'Cause baby baby eyes, oh baby baby eyes, oh baby baby eye I was born to.....KILL". Do love to see a song end on a deliberately over the top bit of posturing with a cheesy pun thrown in! Nice little bit of humour.

I like the trilogy, more so live, sure some its filler but others are awesome, record labels have a long history of limiting the number of songs bands make for an album and greenday just said fuck that we will make the song we make and instead of taking 2 months to narrow it down and polish them they straight recorded them and released them take that sony, I also like the trilogy cause it took greenday sound and Foxboro hut tubs sounds and they didn't cut anything that was bside material I really hate the fact that after you buy the album you have to buy 5 singles just to have every song recorded for the project so it nice they just gave it all to us and we don't have a ton of mystery songs that get mention but not released

I like a lot of the trilogy some more so than other, I don't think it flows as well as other albums that's pretty much my only problem I like how some songs are nonsensical and you don't quit under stand them I feel this is more like whats on billies mind compared to much more complicated story that the pop charts eat up while the story may mean a lot to him I feel the songs don't as much as some people may believe

but nimrod is still my favorite

Nice fact.. did they used 4 totally different tracks? like.. did they recorded it 4 times or did they just used one recording for it?

They quadruple tracked most of the guitars. That's how they get that massive sound, it's impossible to get such a thick texture for one guitar. So each rhythm part will have been recorded at least 4 times then layered.

I think an album with a mix of Uno and Tre plus Lazy Bones would be the best. 14 songs with a few corrections to some choruses and guitar tones and less pressure for promotion.

I think the trilogy is kinda underrated but I don't care enough to try and make people think differently. Only serious problems it has are some songs sounding too similiar and the lyrics fall into what the fuck territory sometimes. The music itself is great and I think it was ambitious as fuck for GD to do this, and it was very obvious from the very moment we knew it was happening it was going to polarize fans.

I am even going to use the shift key and use proper capitalisation because this is important, okay?

Let me just start by saying this: I study music. This is what I plan on doing for a living (or not living because lol musicians making money).

From a musical standpoint, American Idiot (or even 21stCB) is clearly written better than any song from the trilogy. The simplicity of the songs on those three albums is just... it's awful. You could say songs on AI are simple as well, and I'll give it to you. Yes, the chord progressions are simple as well. Most of the time you'll go I IV V, like 3/4 of non-classical/non-jazz songs out there today. But there are modulations, there are more than just power chords, and there are more instruments, that are integrated so well and make everything sound so much more amazing.

Don't get me wrong, simplicity is often good. I love Warning, and its simple riffs and 3-instrument songs. It's my favourite album. However, what bothers me about the simplicity in songs from the Trilogy, is that those songs had so much potential. Had they been put together in a longer amount of time, refined some, I'm sure they could have been better. The way they are now though, they're a pile of half-assed songs with barely catchy lyrics that don't mean anything.

TL;DR The trilogy sucks and if you think it is better than American Idiot, you are wrong. Maybe you like it more, but it is not better.

TL;DR The trilogy sucks and if you think it is better than American Idiot, you are wrong. Maybe you like it more, but it is not better.

Music is very subjective though, and what makes it "better" varies for different people. Same goes for lyrics. If you think music can be definitively labelled as being good or bad based only on technical aspects then you are wrong.

Music is very subjective though, and what makes it "better" varies for different people. Same goes for lyrics. If you think music can be definitively labelled as being good or bad based only on technical aspects then you are wrong.

Technically, and theoretically though, American Idiot is much more well-written than the Trilogy.

I don't believe this is true. There's a big difference between "my favorite" and "better". To use a related example, I am a big Stephen King fan. I am also a big Philip Roth fan. I happen to like Stephen King better. However, I cannot deny that Roth's prose is much better than King's, and that he is a far more important author in the literary field. Roth also has far more consistency—he's been writing well-received novels consistently since the 1950s, while King has been hit-or-miss since 1987. While I like King better, objectively I have to say Roth is the better author. The same for film—while I enjoy Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade a bit better than Raiders of the Lost Ark, the latter is the superior film. Thus, when asked which of the Indiana Jones films I like best, I say that Last Crusade is my favorite, but Raiders is the best. It's an important differentiation.

Yeah I would have to say the trilogy has NO business being compared to AI ever. I think AI's one of the best albums ever released, and that's not bias it's just an incredible record. 21st is great as well though like others have said it rambles a bit and KYE is horrible. But the trilogy? The lyrics alone demolish it nevermind the tones and whatnot. And I do like most of the trilogy but there's some shit on there that's so terrible it's like hard to believe Green Day did it. Troublemaker, Makeout Party and The Forgotten are the worst songs on each album IMO but there's many more. Lazy Bones vs Give Me Novacaine? I admit Lazy Bones is one of the better songs on the trilogy but even then some of it's lyrics are lazy and shit, "I cant stand from falling down I'm too sick to throw up. Everyone keeps talking and they cant shut the fuck up cause I'm so tired"...WTF??? Novacaine is awesome in every way, meaningful dreamy lyrics, beautiful music and the dynamic between the verses and choruses is awesome. And it has one of the best solo's on AI. And Rusty James is one of my favorites off the trilogy but come on, it can't be compared to much of their older stuff. Any of their older stuff murders the trilogy. Even 1039 with it's sappy lyrics were at least heartfelt and acceptable considering he was a teenager. What's the excuse for the nonsensical lyrics of the trilogy? And I will say every trilogy song I've heard live is a 100% better than the studio version, which makes me hate the production of it even more. However the guitar solos of the trilogy, even with the weak ass production are some of the best they've ever done

Technically, and theoretically though, American Idiot is much more well-written than the Trilogy.

Depends on what criteria you're judging it on, or how much weight you give the different criteria. For an engaging storyline, AI wins. For amusing one liners, the Trilogy wins. And those are just two aspects. What makes music good is so complex and so varied depending on who's judging it that I think personal preference has to be a massive factor in it.

I don't believe this is true. There's a big difference between "my favorite" and "better". To use a related example, I am a big Stephen King fan. I am also a big Philip Roth fan. I happen to like Stephen King better. However, I cannot deny that Roth's prose is much better than King's, and that he is a far more important author in the literary field. Roth also has far more consistency—he's been writing well-received novels consistently since the 1950s, while King has been hit-or-miss since 1987. While I like King better, objectively I have to say Roth is the better author. The same for film—while I enjoy Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade a bit better than Raiders of the Lost Ark, the latter is the superior film. Thus, when asked which of the Indiana Jones films I like best, I say that Last Crusade is my favorite, but Raiders is the best. It's an important differentiation.

I agree that "better" and "favourite" are different. However what defines "better" varies from person to person just as what defines "favourite" does. Not everyone who says Uno Dos Tre is better is saying so just because it's their favourite, some people actually consider it better, because not everyone's criteria for what makes something good is the same (the most basic example being some people value good lyrics more highly than good music and vice versa). AI ticks more boxes for some people and Uno Dos Tre does for others, which is better isn't a matter of pure facts.

Honestly, I think it's a bit silly to throw around comparions of better and favourite when it comes to Green Day. Bring up that to anybody who is seriously invested into music and they're gonna laugh at you no matter what Green Day album you're talking about.

Consequence of Sound just named the Trilogy #16 of 20 Most Regrettable Albums ever made....

Here's the full list, if you want to see... http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/01/the-20-most-regrettable-albums-ever/

Nastradamus was their best pick, well deserved lol. Obviously I strongly disagree with the Trilogy's inclusion though :P

Then there's Holiday with the goddamn ninja acoustic guitar. Love it.

WHAT

Archived