The Trilogy is massively underrated

dudley dawson

While I liked the trilogy and listen to alot of the songs regularly (tho I do listen to my 22 track mix more than the actual trilogy itself) its not up there with the best material from them

The fake live in studio feel to the production and the clean tones just dont go with 98% of the songs...

Which leads me to hope they never actually do a real live in studio album cause to me if they cant pull off a fake feeling decently they won't succeed at the real thing...

He still wasn't completely ditched, that was my point.

As far as production wise yeah he was...

99% of the times executive producers come in AFTER recording is done... of course I wasnt there for Warning but I do remember reading Rob wasnt at the sessions and its kind of hard to produce something and NOT be in the studio but who knows

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there are, like on every record I own, good and better songs. as a full trilogy I look at it as a masterpiece of three individual masterpieces. I agree these are three great records but I wouldn't say it's better than AI, rather single songs out of each record :)

I know all of their albums like the back of my hand. Those 3 songs are better than 90% of the OVERPRODUCED 21CB, and better than at least half of AI. You going to tell me Give Me Novocain is better than Lazy Bones??

Warning and Dookie are my favorite albums of theirs, btw.

I don't want to get too much into it (as these are just opinions after all), but I LOVE the simplified production on the trilogy. 21CB was overproduced beyond belief, you could barely discern one instrument from the other. The trilogy just sounds clean and pleasing to me.

Rusty James is just as good as any song you listed (better than most IMO), and CLEARLY better than WMUWSE (one of my all time least favorite GD songs)! Lol

Give Me Novocaine is miles better than Lazy Bones in my opinion :P It's one of Tre's best ever drum performances, has great contrast between sections and is one of my favourite lyrics.

As for the production I do see what you're getting at. The wall of sound method isn't for everyone and Breakdown is massively over compressed, the acoustic guitars sound ridiculous in places and songs like American Eulogy just sound Disneyfied. But it's not even that that bother ps me about the Trilogy, it's the guitar tone. Dookie has a nice fat guitar tone without being over compressed, that's all I was really getting at there.

With WMUWSE I admit I got a bit bored of it for a long time, but all that changed when they played it at Brixton. It's heartfelt and has an interesting structure, and I love the C major to minor fall in the chorus.

Don't know how anyone can think the trilogy is better than AI... but interesting that they do!

To me AI is one of the best albums ever written...

*runs to find shelter from hipsters and the like*

In terms of epicness, the only song on the whole trilogy which comes close to, say, Homecoming, is Brutal Love.

I thought it was something like that, yeah. Hell, the best thing about Know Your Enemy (which I generally hate) is how the doubled guitars come in and drop back out. For that album even the weak songs were arranged well.

Then there's Holiday with the goddamn ninja acoustic guitar. Love it.

Acoustic guitar in Holiday? Proof or it didn't happen.

Yeah i agree that the trilogy is wicked! i find it hard to compare to other albums but i don't understand why it gets so much stick! I was a bit unsure to start with but when you see the songs live you're like FUCKKKKK these are amazing!

Yeah i agree that the trilogy is wicked! i find it hard to compare to other albums but i don't understand why it gets so much stick! I was a bit unsure to start with but when you see the songs live you're like FUCKKKKK these are amazing!

That's the thing - some of the songs are fantastic live. I've always said that Stay The Night is one of the best songs they've ever done, but the album version is nothing compared to the live version, especially the one from Reading 2012. The problem with a lot of the songs is the speed, as well as the guitar sound - problems they don't have live.

My life is a lie. But the truth is so beautiful :wub:

Told you, ninja guitar :P It only took me 9 years to hear it.

Baby Eyes is the worst song Green Day has ever made. It's complete shit. The lyrics are just retarded. The music part doesn't sound like Green Day at all. I hate the song. Sex, Drugs & Violence isn't really that good either. Other than that, I don't have many complaints.

Yeah, Trilogy is underrated, but it doesn't mean it's as good as American Idiot. I'm not big fan of AI, but objectively it's one of the greatest albums ever. Trilogy is good, but - in my opinion - unfinished.

For me, the trilogy has some of my all-time favourite Green Day songs (like Makeout Party, Wow! That's Loud, Dirty Rotten Bastards, Kill the DJ) and also some of the worst ones, like Stop When the Red Lights Flash, Carpe Diem, Fell For You, etc. So I'm kinda mixed, I love Dos for the most part, Tre's half and half and Uno's pretty poor with a couple of great songs on it.

I thought it was something like that, yeah. Hell, the best thing about Know Your Enemy (which I generally hate) is how the doubled guitars come in and drop back out. For that album even the weak songs were arranged well.

And the ninja "Woooooahs" on the chorus ;D

I felt like the trilogy was a pretty good set of albums, but definitely not better than AI, and IMO it's going to take an amazing album to beat out nimrod/insomniac as green day's best.

I still listen to trilogy's songs if those come out on shuffle on my ipod (the only one I don't like is Nightlife & See You Tonight but this isn't a full song).

But I don't think is ther best albums, I only rate this project higher than 1039Smoothed Out Slappy Hours & Kerplunk.

My top 3 is still formed by the two concept album (with AI on top) & Dookie

That's 99% of the AI album :) And it's awesome.

I totally agree that it's underrated.

I still feel that if it had been cut down to one album, with more attention given to a smaller amount of songs it would have been much greater. However there's so much negativity on this whole forum towards the trilogy. Part of me thinks that when the next album comes around, I'll just avoid this site like the plague. No matter how amazing an album is, people will always pick it apart and find things wrong with it - that's not how music is supposed to be experienced.

I'd be willing to bet that if Dookie or American Idiot came out nowadays, there'd still be people on this site bitching about them and comparing them to other songs and finding fault within them.

Best thing is to make up your own mind about the music, because that's what the band want, for people to have their own trip with their songs. Who really cares about what someone else thought about it?

I don't think it's underrated at all. With the way you guys talk about it one would think you were talking about FFVII.

I'm with you! It's my favourite thing they've ever done. I love the retro rock and roll sound and the production that allows you to hear every instrument and element of the music so clearly. I love that there's a pick and mix of different songs to suit different tastes but at the same time a general theme to each album as well as a loose story running through them. And I love how they explored their fun, dirty side in the lyrics as well as their more dark, personal side, sometimes separately and sometimes at the same time. I wonder if people would be quite so negative if the rehab thing hadn't happened, it'd been promoted and been more successful, and the band had done interviews about it talking about the meanings of the songs etc. Because it seems that, like with 21st CB, people were generally enthusiastic when we first heard some of the songs, and the huge amounts of hate and total derision of it only came after the band stopped promoting it and it turned out not to be very successful. Must be an influence of perceptions of it even if just a subconscious one.

I agree that the trilogy is underrated. to me it sounds like an extension of the hottubs. which is awesome.

OP was reported for making me lose faith in the collective listening powers of humanity.

The only thing the Trilogy is good for is proving how bad Green Day can be when they don't used any quality control.

I agree that the trilogy is underrated. to me it sounds like an extension of the hottubs. which is awesome.

Pretty sure I've had this debate before, but there's about 5 songs tops on the Trilogy that sound like the Foxies.

To me the trilogy is an amazing listen. It is though very simple, plain and the sound is too boring. Add more guitars, get them heavier, and make it more drastic, not like Sweet 16 and 8th Avenue Serande..

Songs like Stay The Night, which is a very nice song, just makes Uno very good, and Nuclear Family which may be the most energetic of alll the 3 albums.

Dirty Rotten Bastards and 99 Revolutions just makes Trè the best of the three. Also I like how BJ said that 99 Revolutions was the best song he's ever made, even though it's more or less a one sentenced song :D

Baby Eyes is the worst song Green Day has ever made. It's complete shit. The lyrics are just retarded.

Tman, you know I love you, but you are a fucking moron if you think that. Haha. "I am the motor in your crashing car" could quite possibly be one of the best Green Day lyrics ever. And I absolutely love the musical contrast where it is all happy and upbeat sounding during the lyrics and all dark and minor during the instrumental interludes. You just got knocked down a few pegs Todd!

Tman, you know I love you, but you are a fucking moron if you think that. Haha. "I am the motor in your crashing car" could quite possibly be one of the best Green Day lyrics ever. And I absolutely love the musical contrast where it is all happy and upbeat sounding during the lyrics and all dark and minor during the instrumental interludes. You just got knocked down a few pegs Todd!

You dick! You have a different opinion than me, so I'm gonna hate you forever! :P

I think the song sounds completely out of place on the album. I don't think it fits in any of Green Day's releases. So it really brings Dos down for me.

Archived