The Trilogy is massively underrated

dudley dawson

How the hell do any of you know Green Day's reasons for not playing more of the trilogy on tour? You don't, so to speculate it's because they don't like it or aren't proud of it or "want to close the door on this era" is nonsense. I guarantee had BJ not gone to rehab, at least half of the cancelled tour would have been trilogy material. News flash: the band aren't the only ones with a say in the set list. Sponsors, the label, others behind the scenes, these people want HITS to be the majority of any tour. Now the exception is when a band is on tour promoting new material, then of course new stuff is expected to be played to help promote. And by the time BJ got out of rehab, I'm sure all those involved realized the promotion ship had sailed, hence let's save as much face on tour as possible and play songs we KNOW people are going to like (aka the hits). But this in no way implies the band doesn't like the trilogy or isn't proud of it, especially considering BJ said it was the best material they've ever written (I don't think anyone agrees with that, but if that's how he feels so be it).

Look how many songs from Warning and 21stCB got played on this past tour: Minority and Know Your Enemy. Every other album had at least a few played from it. Those are the band's least successful albums commercially (along with the trilogy now), so of course they are going to play more popular material (again, most likely not their call). However I bet they are still very proud of those albums as well.

The band make the set lists

Labels promoters dont...

And before you say I dont have a clue I say that with 14 nearly 15 years of experience working at major and independent labels...

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The studio vocal sounds too different from what Billie actually sounds like, it was bound to be disappointing live

Haha dude, you can say that for every single Green Day song :P double post. sorry.

The band make the set lists

Labels promoters dont...

If that is in fact true, they do make a conscious effort to keep the bean counters happy by playing a majority of their biggest songs.

How the hell do any of you know Green Day's reasons for not playing more of the trilogy on tour? You don't, so to speculate it's because they don't like it or aren't proud of it or "want to close the door on this era" is nonsense. I guarantee had BJ not gone to rehab, at least half of the cancelled tour would have been trilogy material. News flash: the band aren't the only ones with a say in the set list. Sponsors, the label, others behind the scenes, these people want HITS to be the majority of any tour. Now the exception is when a band is on tour promoting new material, then of course new stuff is expected to be played to help promote. And by the time BJ got out of rehab, I'm sure all those involved realized the promotion ship had sailed, hence let's save as much face on tour as possible and play songs we KNOW people are going to like (aka the hits). But this in no way implies the band doesn't like the trilogy or isn't proud of it, especially considering BJ said it was the best material they've ever written (I don't think anyone agrees with that, but if that's how he feels so be it).

Look how many songs from Warning and 21stCB got played on this past tour: Minority and Know Your Enemy. Every other album had at least a few played from it. Those are the band's least successful albums commercially (along with the trilogy now), so of course they are going to play more popular material (again, most likely not their call). However I bet they are still very proud of those albums as well.

The point of all my rambling is this: if the band had complete control over what gets played on tour, odds are more of the trilogy would have made the list.

I'm sorry, but this post is so full of silly comments I don't know where to start.

1. Maybe they want to 'close the door' on the era precisely because of associations with Billie's meltdown. The fact is they've all but ignored the Trilogy recently when you compare it to the amount of songs from the latest album on each of their previous tours.

2. The band are the only people who have a say in the setlist. How can you even think the promoters or label pick what they play? Do you know anything about how live shows work?

3. Billie says a lot of things. Even if he doesn't think the Trilogy is his best work he's bound to say it is, the band have to appear to believe in their work. And they probably do, but we can't know that for sure.

4. They've barely played anything from Warning since the Warning tour, and they played songs from Breakdown to death on the Breakdown tour.

5. The band choose the setlist. The end. They pick the songs they do because they think will go down best and make for the best show. People are going to pay money and show up either way, the promoters will make their money regardless, so they have no reason to care. They put together the best setlist they can based on the assumption that it'll be a different audience every night. Their shows aren't put together with people going to multiple nights in mind, which is why they don't play more rareties, and that's why they play some crazy, off the wall setlists at smaller or secret shows. Trust me, Tim and I both know what we're talking about.

If that is in fact true, they do make a conscious effort to keep the bean counters happy by playing a majority of their biggest songs.

If a label made a bands set list GD's set would be only Longview Basket Case When I Come Around Good Riddance American Idiot Boulevard Of Broken Dreams Wake Me Up and 21 Guns as those are their biggest hits...

Look I just want to believe the band wanted to promote the trilogy much more than they did. Is that too much to ask?? Lol

Look I just want to believe the band wanted to promote the trilogy much more than they did. Is that too much to ask?? Lol

That's not too much to ask, but splurging statements that are simply not true isn't going to help anything.

Not wrong to want them to do more promotion

I dont really buy into the "they're embarrased and want to forget the trilogy" theory

My thoughts are of the tour is

Mike said they thought of the trilogy as one album when compling the set list and since forever theyve always played 6-7 songs from the new album and for the majority they've played 6-7 songs til the last few shows

As far as not varying up which songs I also think there are songs that Billie may not want to visit so soon cause of memories he said in RS Lazy Bones makes him cry just by listening to it so there may be other songs that he not ready to face at the moment

Not saying my theory is correct cause who knows

The Australias shows and the next tour will be quite interesting imo

The trilogy is not very based

It is too polished and uninspired... for you to say it's one of their strongest outings is just wrong

Kill the DJ? That is not based at all!! That is spreading negativity

I will pray billie joe follows lil b on twitter and finds the magic to create another outstanding album

It's kind of silly that Green Day hasn't made an outstanding album in 10 years..

What exactly is "based"?

I'm sorry, but this post is so full of silly comments I don't know where to start.

1. Maybe they want to 'close the door' on the era precisely because of associations with Billie's meltdown. The fact is they've all but ignored the Trilogy recently when you compare it to the amount of songs from the latest album on each of their previous tours.

2. The band are the only people who have a say in the setlist. How can you even think the promoters or label pick what they play? Do you know anything about how live shows work?

3. Billie says a lot of things. Even if he doesn't think the Trilogy is his best work he's bound to say it is, the band have to appear to believe in their work. And they probably do, but we can't know that for sure.

4. They've barely played anything from Warning since the Warning tour, and they played songs from Breakdown to death on the Breakdown tour.

5. The band choose the setlist. The end. They pick the songs they do because they think will go down best and make for the best show. People are going to pay money and show up either way, the promoters will make their money regardless, so they have no reason to care. They put together the best setlist they can based on the assumption that it'll be a different audience every night. Their shows aren't put together with people going to multiple nights in mind, which is why they don't play more rareties, and that's why they play some crazy, off the wall setlists at smaller or secret shows. Trust me, Tim and I both know what we're talking about.

I know WhiteTim's credentials, but what are yours? Not accusing, just very interested.

I know WhiteTim's credentials, but what are yours? Not accusing, just very interested.

Nothing next to Tim's really :lol:

But I got a first class honours degree in Popular Music, which covered the inner workings of record labels in a lot of depth, production, gig promotion and generally a lot of detail regarding live shows, management, songwriting, performance, band leading, world music, avant-garde and critical listening.

I don't have a great deal of experience in the 'real world' at this point, but I'm working on it, and I don't think it's unfair of me to say I think I know more about how a lot of music industry-based stuff works than the majority of people on here. I've got a few contacts in the mainstream industry too, including a few famous performers, which helps. That sounds like I'm bragging and being pretty arrogant, but I'm just saying since you asked :P

I mean, fair enough for asking, I do have a tendency to wade in like what I've got to say is the be all and end all and I've never mentioned any of this to back it up! But then no one has asked before, haha.

And I'd never claim to know more than Tim

:P

I think I remember him saying that, and it's fine, but why keep it to the same songs? I suppose they need to practise songs and there probably isn't much time on tour, but I still feel they could have played more trilogy songs couldn't they?

You could make similar comments about any of their albums/tours (bar American Idiot). They've always favoured playing the well known/classic songs over playing loads of new songs, for example they only ever played half the songs off Dookie even though they only had two other virtually unknown albums at the time. Everyone likes to think it's because they hate the albums or something, but it's just how they do things. Plus these particular albums would surely be much more fun to play in a tiny venue. They already got to play nearly all the songs off them live (which is more than you can say for most of their albums) in the tiny venues they're best suited to at the secret shows, so maybe to them it feels like they've already played them a decent amount.

You could make similar comments about any of their albums/tours (bar American Idiot). They've always favoured playing the well known/classic songs over playing loads of new songs, for example they only ever played half the songs off Dookie even though they only had two other virtually unknown albums at the time. Everyone likes to think it's because they hate the albums or something, but it's just how they do things. Plus these particular albums would surely be much more fun to play in a tiny venue. They already got to play nearly all the songs off them live (which is more than you can say for most of their albums) in the tiny venues they're best suited to at the secret shows, so maybe to them it feels like they've already played them a decent amount.

As much as I'd like to see them mix things up a lot more, I also see it from the point of view of people who will be seeing them for the first time at any given gig. If they hadn't played songs like Basket Case, Good Riddance and BOBD the first time I saw them I would NOT have been happy. It's easy to see things differently when you're an obsessive fan who knows every setlist of every show they've ever done and have seen them multiple times, though.

The worst song on the trilogy in my opinion is 99 rev..I dont get why they would name the tour after it? I like every other song on the trilogy except oh love.....horrible choice for a single.

The worst song on the trilogy in my opinion is 99 rev..I dont get why they would name the tour after it? I like every other song on the trilogy except oh love.....horrible choice for a single.

Because American Idiot and 21stCB were vaguely political albums, and maybe they thought that if they had a political sounding tour it'd = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$?

Or maybe it's because Billie sadly considers it one of the best songs he's ever written.

I'm guessing the only one who hopes they use the trilogy's guitar tone in future albums.....

Maybe not for every song because just like in the trilogy some songs it was meant for and others could of had more distortion. I know people don't care for it, but it is a pretty good tone.

Btw can anyone tell me what you think they recorded x kid with? What guitar and amp? And specially the guitar in the beggining.

This has been bugging me for the best part of today, but can anyone else think of an even reasonably successful album that has a similar guitar tone to the Trilogy? Because I got nothing.

Billie was just gagging to get in on the "Occupy Wall Street" stuff - hence the pile of wank that is "99 Revolutions."

2 years late is kinda embarrassing though. All it did was make them look like out of touch wannabe Bruce Springsteen faux-punks.

2 years late is kinda embarrassing though. All it did was make them look like out of touch wannabe Bruce Springsteen faux-punks.

For once I agree. The lyrics seem so phony and pretentious. Bleh.

And of course the guitar tone is so weak and twangy.

For once I agree. The lyrics seem so phony and pretentious. Bleh.

Dude. For the love of Christ. Hit the "Like" button once. I just got 6 fucking notifications off you.

This has been bugging me for the best part of today, but can anyone else think of an even reasonably successful album that has a similar guitar tone to the Trilogy? Because I got nothing.

Been a few years since ive listened to AC/DC studio albums (they are a band I enjoy live than studio) but wasn't Back In Black or Highway To Hell use clean tones?

Been a few years since ive listened to AC/DC studio albums (they are a band I enjoy live than studio) but wasn't Back In Black or Highway To Hell use clean tones?

I still listen to them from time to time, actually, great albums. There's definitely more bite to the Youngs' guitar tones. It's very clean by modern rock standards, but it still has a sharpness. The Trilogy is still pretty flat compared to them.

I still listen to them from time to time, actually, great albums. There's definitely more bite to the Youngs' guitar tones. It's very clean by modern rock standards, but it still has a sharpness. The Trilogy is still pretty flat compared to them.

Ywah ac/dc are a great group but their studio albums tend to bore me for some reason their live cds however love em

If they really wanted a song about Occupy, why didn't they just record and release one at the time? I know they didn't have an album, but that shouldn't make a difference.

If 99 revs was a bit more inventive then it would be a good song as the verses are pretty cool, and it doesn't stick to the verse chorus verse chorus solo chorus formula quite as much as the other trilogy songs do.

Ywah ac/dc are a great group but their studio albums tend to bore me for some reason their live cds however love em

That was a pretty normal thing with rock bands in the 70/80s. Bands like Thin Lizzy and AC/DC lacked the energy they had live.

Archived