The Trilogy is massively underrated

dudley dawson

2 hours ago, greenday21500 said:

What most people forget about the trilogy is that Green Day finally made albums that were really fun to make and didn't have any barriers on them. They stripped their music down, making it way better than the overly produced 21stCB (my least favorite album). And honestly I think the trilogy sounds very similar to Nimrod, again where Green Day had fun because they could experiment and do what they want, which at the time people had the same opinion as the trilogy because it wasn't the "usual Green Day sound." 

Except they wrote good songs for Nimrod, actually tried a new sound that didn't suck and experimented on more than one song. These two just can't be compared. On Nimrod they were moving forward whereas the Trilogy was meant to be a back-to-the-roots record but failed. 

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

Except they wrote good songs for Nimrod, actually tried a new sound that didn't suck and experimented on more than one song. These two just can't be compared. On Nimrod they were moving forward whereas the Trilogy was meant to be a back-to-the-roots record but failed. 

It wasn't meant to be a back to the roots record. There was just an article where an out of context quote about being at the "back to the basics" stage of making a record (doing demos etc) was twisted to make it look like they were saying they were making a back to their roots, Dookie style record. The band never said it was meant to be that. 

And they experimented on more than one song! Nightlife, Brutal Love, See You Tonight, Amy and Kill the DJ immediately spring to mind as being particularly different but loads of them are different to the usual Green Day, and the overall sound is different from any of their other albums as well (that slightly retro/rock and roll vibe the albums have). Different lyrical content from usual too. Whether they're good is a matter of opinion but I do think they're similar to Nimrod in that there's varied sounds, experimenting and a different vibe from the usual Green Day album.

1 minute ago, Steven Seagull said:

Kill the DJ was fantastic. :wub:

It always amazes me that we agree on almost everything other than AI and the release date of their next album

On 11.01.2014 at 1:10 AM, Spike said:

There's no filler on American Idiot or Dookie. Well, apart from All By Myself on Dookie, but who listens to that anyway?

Years later,i would like to tell you i listen to All by myself so often and love it. Dookie wouldn't be the same without it...Speaking of Dookie, today is it's 22nd birthday

3 hours ago, inthehallwaynow said:

At risk of being a jinx (HA) It would be interesting to see how things in the Green Day fan world would go if they put out another trilogy quality album

Take what happened with the Christmas song and multiply it by 12-15, depending on how many tracks are on the album. 

Although there'd still be a decent amount of people on GDC who would claim it has a "deeper meaning" or something and defend it as a brilliant work of art. :P  

2 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

Take what happened with the Christmas song and multiply it by 12-15, depending on how many tracks are on the album. 

Although there'd still be a decent amount of people on GDC who would claim it has a "deeper meaning" or something and defend it as a brilliant work of art. :P  

Fuck you, Xmas Time of the Year was awesome. :mad: We don't need songs with "deeper meaning".

4 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

Fuck you, Xmas Time of the Year was awesome. :mad: We don't need songs with "deeper meaning".

C'mon now, Billie Joe was writing more moving lyrics at age 17 than most of the stuff he's written recently. :P I'm not saying everything needs to be a tear-jerking ballad or a No. 1 hit, but as I've said multiple times, I just want to hear something that isn't confusing, sloppy, lazy and uninspired. You can write a carefree and fun song while still maintaining the quality. A song like Blood, Sex and Booze or Pulling Teeth for example. Or a lot of pre-Dookie stuff.

I'm just sick of making excuses for the band I love. We all know what they're capable of, and obviously they're having the most fun when they feel on top of the world. I just want to see that again. But for some reason, having high expectations seems to lead to the real fan vs. fake fan debate.

I'm sorry, but I still relate (on a personal level) to songs on the Trilogy more so than any other album they have ever released. I will never understand how and why people criticize those lyrics or the music. Still my favorite thing that the band has released. And I've been a die hard fan for a very long time. 

12 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I'm sorry, but I still relate (on a personal level) to songs on the Trilogy more so than any other album they have ever released. I will never understand how and why people criticize those lyrics or the music. Still my favorite thing that the band has released. And I've been a die hard fan for a very long time. 

prove it

Spoiler

just kidding.... maybe haha 

13 minutes ago, Ryan said:

may i ask which ones? :)

33 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Agreed. A lot of those songs were huge to me in a confusing time in my life.

19 minutes ago, XPursuitOfEpicnessX said:

may i ask which ones? :)

I know you weren't asking me, but...
Stay The Night, Fell For You, Sweet 16, Rusty James, Lazy Bones, Wild One, Stray Heart, Baby Eyes, Nightlife, Brutal Love, Missing You, X-Kid, Amanda, Walk Away, Dirty Rotten Bastards, 99 Revolutions and The Forgotten.

While we were dating, my now ex-girlfriend's text alert was the "Hey, boy" part that Lady Cobra says in Nightlife. Most of the trilogy songs revolve around our time together.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the themes of the Trilogy. I don't need Green Day to write deep, inspiring, political, earth-shattering stuff every time they put out an album. My problem with the Trilogy stems from the uninspired, sloppy writing and the music itself. I can't really think of a single Trilogy song aside from Brutal Love, Rusty James, DRB, and Amy where the music just fits really well with the words.

41 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

C'mon now, Billie Joe was writing more moving lyrics at age 17 than most of the stuff he's written recently. :P I'm not saying everything needs to be a tear-jerking ballad or a No. 1 hit, but as I've said multiple times, I just want to hear something that isn't confusing, sloppy, lazy and uninspired. You can write a carefree and fun song while still maintaining the quality. A song like Blood, Sex and Booze or Pulling Teeth for example. Or a lot of pre-Dookie stuff.

I'm just sick of making excuses for the band I love. We all know what they're capable of, and obviously they're having the most fun when they feel on top of the world. I just want to see that again. But for some reason, having high expectations seems to lead to the real fan vs. fake fan debate.

First not everyone disliked Xmas Time of Year.  I would even say that there was just as many fans that disliked it as liked it or took it the way I took it, as a Christmas card from the band.  If they had meant it as anything more than that, they would have released it on itunes and expected us to pay for it.  You even said you liked the guitar sound on it.  Do I want their entire next album to sound like that, hell no, but I don't think this one little song defines their future.

As far as the Trilogy is concerned, I think pretty much everyone, with the exception of Seagull, will admit that it is not their best work.  However, pretty much everyone has something they like about it.  I don't feel this great hatred for the Trilogy on this site anymore.  I agree with what someone posted a few pages back that if they had made the Trilogy 1 or maybe 2 albums, people would have thought differently.  I will be honest, I listen to the Trilogy a hell of alot more than I listen to 1039, Kerplunck or Insomniac.

This is not a matter of good fan, bad fan but having tolerance for people who's opinions differ from you.  The band may be going in a direction that you don't like but that does not mean that everyone feels the same.          

53 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

1 minute ago, JJ1964 said:

First not everyone disliked Xmas Time of Year.  I would even say that there was just as many fans that disliked it as liked it or took it the way I took it, as a Christmas card from the band.  If they had meant it as anything more than that, they would have released it on itunes and expected us to pay for it.

We all know The Killers write the best Christmas tunes anyway. (See: Joel the Lump of Coal)

1 minute ago, JardyOfSuburbia said:

We all know The Killers write the best Christmas tunes anyway. (See: Joel the Lump of Coal)

I didn't say that it was the best Christmas song ever, just that I didn't, and others as well, didn't think it was that bad.

Anyway, the best Christmas song was The Waitresses, Christmas Wrapping.  

6 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

I didn't say that it was the best Christmas song ever, just that I didn't, and others as well, didn't think it was that bad.

Anyway, the best Christmas song was The Waitresses, Christmas Wrapping.  

Fair enough. I didn't mean to say that you were calling it the best song ever :)

40 minutes ago, inthehallwaynow said:

prove it

Hidden Content

8th Avenue Seranade

53 minutes ago, Ryan said:

"8th Avenue Serenade" is one of the best songs ever! In my opinion it could have been a number 1 single, with the same impact as "She".

1 hour ago, JJ1964 said:

As far as the Trilogy is concerned, I think pretty much everyone, with the exception of Seagull, will admit that it is not their best work.  However, pretty much everyone has something they like about it.  I don't feel this great hatred for the Trilogy on this site anymore.  I agree with what someone posted a few pages back that if they had made the Trilogy 1 or maybe 2 albums, people would have thought differently.  I will be honest, I listen to the Trilogy a hell of alot more than I listen to 1039, Kerplunck or Insomniac.

This is not a matter of good fan, bad fan but having tolerance for people who's opinions differ from you.  The band may be going in a direction that you don't like but that does not mean that everyone feels the same.          

This, pretty much. I don't think there's anyone here (or at least very few people) saying the trilogy is the band's greatest work or that it's secretly super deep or whatever. Even though some of the songs on there are in my favourites now, I still wouldn't claim it's the best thing they've ever done musically. There's a difference between enjoying, relating to or seeing it differently to others and blindly loving everything they put out.

And of course not liking it doesn't make someone a fake fan, that's really stupid. I think it's very uncommon for fans to genuinely love everything a band does. I can't speak for everyone who enjoys it somewhat, but from what I can tell, very few people have a problem with others disliking it - it's the repeated arguments about it being meaningless, insincere, the band hate/regret it, etc, because I don't think any of those things are actually true. Again, there's a difference between disagreeing that it's meaningless and thinking it's Billie's greatest lyrical venture.

I agree that the hatred is dying down now too, but it wasn't long ago that I was being laughed at for loving Dos (and I remember getting totally torn apart for that and sharing my interpretations in the beginning!) so both sides have got sick of the argument at some point.

i dont mind Tre or Uno. Dos is probably the worst, except Fuck Time, and See You Tonight. 

When I legitimately used to listen to Green Day without giving a damn to any other band, the trilogy was (for me) no way inferior than even Dookie or AI but during their hiatus I got into several bands and after watching many comments here and some reviews I stopped liking it. Yes, it is definitely not their best work but the direction they were going at that time was truly great and I must say it'd have become hell of a record if Uno didn't sounded "too clean", fillers would have removed from Dos to not make it sound the same all time and Tre was fine but after Uno and Dos the image you get of Tre is not much different :P 

The Forgotten, Stay The Night, 99 Revolutions, Walk Away, Missing You, Rusty James, Sweet 16, Stray Heart, Oh Love, 8th Ave. Serenade, Carpe Diem are some of the good songs :) 

18 hours ago, Brooklyn Baby said:

I don't necessarily have a problem with the themes of the Trilogy. I don't need Green Day to write deep, inspiring, political, earth-shattering stuff every time they put out an album. My problem with the Trilogy stems from the uninspired, sloppy writing and the music itself. I can't really think of a single Trilogy song aside from Brutal Love, Rusty James, DRB, and Amy where the music just fits really well with the words.

I often forget about this song, even though I feel it's one of the best in the trilogy. Great companion song to 86.

1 hour ago, localinsomniac said:

I often forget about this song, even though I feel it's one of the best in the trilogy. Great companion song to 86.

It's really a great song, at least for me. Really taps into some nostalgia for my past and the music fits the lyrics so well! I think it's super underrated.

Archived