The Trilogy is massively underrated

dudley dawson

20140110_172436-1_zpsrvx4inxo.jpg

I agree but I never did find that credit to Sm Cooke in the lyric book. Whereabouts is it?

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't even think the Trilogy being underrated is linked to its lack of promotion. I mean, we've all heard the record here, and promotion doesn't change what it sounds like. I just don't think it's very good.

I respectfully disagree, I think there are a lot of good tracks on the trilogy with only a handful of filler songs. But, my comment stemmed from the fact that I found it really sad that the only song I've ever heard on the radio in the Milwaukee is Oh Love, when there are so many better songs that never got aired (i.e. X-Kid, Lazy Bones, Let Yourself Go, Dirty Rotten Bastards, 99 Revolutions, Nuclear Family, etc...). And now the radio station near me doesn't even play that one anymore, but will play a LOT their of old songs. Even worse was that they advertised the American Idiot musical in Milwaukee and they never even mentioned Green Day's show last year in Rosemont, Illinois. And they have mentioned shows by other bands in Chicago before.

I respectfully disagree, I think there are a lot of good tracks on the trilogy with only a handful of filler songs. But, my comment stemmed from the fact that I found it really sad that the only song I've ever heard on the radio in the Milwaukee is Oh Love, when there are so many better songs that never got aired (i.e. X-Kid, Lazy Bones, Let Yourself Go, Dirty Rotten Bastards, 99 Revolutions, Nuclear Family, etc...). And now the radio station near me doesn't even play that one anymore, but will play a LOT their of old songs. Even worse was that they advertised the American Idiot musical in Milwaukee and they never even mentioned Green Day's show last year in Rosemont, Illinois. And they have mentioned shows by other bands in Chicago before.

I see what you mean, and it is definitely a shame they didn't get chance to promote it. However good or bad a record is, it's natural for a band to want to do a lot of promotion and increase the sales. The point I was trying to make, though, was that the promotion is irrelevant when it comes to how good the songs actually are. That's entirely subjective, but the records sound as they sound regardless of anything. Maybe a lot of promotion would have turned non, or casual, fans into listeners, but for diehard fans who would have bought the record regardless it doesn't make a lot of difference.

for diehard fans who would have bought the record regardless it doesn't make a lot of difference.

That's true. It's just frustrating when some of my friends are like "they're still around" or "you still like that band" lol.

That's true. It's just frustrating when some of my friends are like "they're still around" or "you still like that band" lol.

Haha yeah, I know the feeling there. It's just ignorant really. "If I don't listen to them that means they no longer exist."

If you honestly think that any song on the Trilogy is better than the worst song on AI then you probably need a hearing aid m8.

90% of the trilogy is better than WMUWSE and Are We the Waiting. I could go on but I'll refrain. :)

Actually I will say that X-Kid is better than ANY song on AI (or at least tied with Holiday - my favorite song from AI). Same with Sweet 16 and Lazy Bones.

The promotion thing I think is relevant just for casual fans or casual audience. We, as Green Day fans, don't need to listen to the singles on the radio to know if the band releases something. We just go to a record store/music web site and get the album because as fans we are really interested to listen how is the new stuff.

In other words, Dookie and American Idiot were successful master pieces which sold millions of copies. However, MANY casual fans bought them because of the promotion. The Trilogy has some promotion for ¡UNO! and then....... nothing (Just some videoclips, nothing to catch casual fans). I'm not saying that the trilogy could have been more succesful in terms of sales, but at last it could have been better.

Actually I will say that X-Kid is better than ANY song on AI (or at least tied with Holiday - my favorite song from AI). Same with Sweet 16 and Lazy Bones.

facepalm-1.jpg?w=300&h=215

I--I--I can't even. How the everloving *fuck* is Sweet 16 better than Jesus of Suburbia?

I--I--I can't even. How the everloving *fuck* is Sweet 16 better than Jesus of Suburbia?

This. Just... speechless. JOS is vastly superior in terms of lyrics, arrangement, production, structure, everything.

90% of the trilogy is better than WMUWSE and Sweet 16 is better than JOS?
The next step is to say that Loss of Control is better than Whatsername and Nightlife is better than Homecoming. :P

To the thread title?

itsnotokay.gif

I have to say they are my least favorite Green Day albums and can only tolerate 8 of the 37 songs. Lots of glimpses of brilliance throughout though.

Could someone explain to me what the obsession with "Sweet 16" is? Honestly, to me it seems no different than the rest of the songs on Uno (alright, alright, better than Loss of Control and Troublemaker) but I've noticed a lot of people referencing it as if it were some powerhouse of rock and roll awesomeness, and I don't understand why.

That solo....

Ok I know the solos not that amazing technically, but it has a real surf feel to it and reminds me of the beach haha. The rest of song is average though

Could someone explain to me what the obsession with "Sweet 16" is? Honestly, to me it seems no different than the rest of the songs on Uno (alright, alright, better than Loss of Control and Troublemaker) but I've noticed a lot of people referencing it as if it were some powerhouse of rock and roll awesomeness, and I don't understand why.

I hear people talking about the vocals to that song a lot. Like you, I find it extremely average (much like the whole Uno album) and I don't really get the hype that goes with it.

Hmmmm.... I will say I enjoy the surf-ey vibe to the whole song (and I know I've discussed the reasons I like it before) but objectively I cannot fathom why anyone would say it tops even the worst songs on American Idiot. Let's face it, if AWTW or She's a Rebel were on Uno, the consensus would most likely be that they were the best songs on there.

Yeah, I mean I like how it's a perky little love song but if someone were to ask me for my favorite songs off of Uno, Sweet 16 wouldn't even come to my mind. And to be honest, the only song off of Uno that might top the worst song on AI is Oh Love. But even then it's iffy.

And I'm trying to imagine Are We the Waiting with the same punchy guitar sound that all the songs on Uno have and I can't do it. :lol: That would sound so bad oh my god.

I can't think of any song on Uno that could top "the worst song" on AI. Uno is completely different anyway, but still, even looking at AI songs as songs on their own (not part of the whole album story) I personally like them better than Uno and most songs on Dos and Tré.

Which reminds me I need to give American Idiot a proper listen again.

I don't agree on the trilogy being their best work since Nimrod, especially not since American Idiot is the album for me; feeling, atmosphere and meaning - wise. Every song gives me chills and makes me feel like I could easily change the world if I just tried. On topic again, I still do agree on the three albums being super underrated! They're all real great records to me and I wouldn't want to miss a single one of them.

Green day between the years 2004-2010 doesnt exist to me. I wanted green day to be green day and uno gave me what i wanted . Tre and dos dont dissapoint either.lgive me uno slappy hours or warning or insomniac any day.

Green day between the years 2004-2010 doesnt exist to me. I wanted green day to be green day and uno gave me what i wanted . Tre and dos dont dissapoint either.lgive me uno slappy hours or warning or insomniac any day.

Hate to break it to you, but 2004-2010 was more "Green Day being Green Day" than the Trilogy ever was. AI and 21CB represent genuine artistic growth; Uno represents them trying to go back to something they're not anymore.

Hate to break it to you, but 2004-2010 was more "Green Day being Green Day" than the Trilogy ever was. AI and 21CB represent genuine artistic growth; Uno represents them trying to go back to something they're not anymore.

I think that's an important point. It's all very well them going back, or trying to go back, to how they sounded before, but you can't force it. Growth is growth, and is a good thing, so to try and force themselves to go backwards was very problematic.

Anyone can write a boring ass nine minute song. Letterbomb holiday and american are the only songs i like. Breakdown was ok but boring. Also didnt like how they think theyre big musical geniouses and tre refers to billie as lennon n mccartney in one. Ive been a fan of green day for twenty yrs but come on. And by the way who can actually follow the story in either american idiot or breakdown without the band explaining it.

Archived