Songs you wish were (or could have been) written by Green Day

Heather.

Green Day is really unique in my eyes. I really don't listen to any other pop-punk bands, but the ones I've heard have always sounded a bit different, and a bit more generic. I try not to listen to bands that are generic, so most of the time, the lyrics and melodies I hear are very unique to the band they come from, and I don't imagine anybody else writing them. If I could, I wouldn't listen to that band, because I want to hear something unique.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Green Day could have written The Black Parade. See:

The Black Parade was basically MCR saying, "Hey lets copy Green Day!" American Idiot is far above the Black Parade in all respects.

The Black Parade was basically MCR saying, "Hey lets copy Green Day!" American Idiot is far above the Black Parade in all respects.

I disagree. Obviously there are similar aspects; a similar image (which wasn't originally Green Day's anyway), a concept album (again, not Green Day's invention) and the same producer and director, who are both entitled to work with whoever they want. They also had a similar target audience at the time, but I really think it was as natural a musical progression for My Chem as it was for Green Day. The songs on each album do happen to complement each other very well, but the actual content and themes are very different. I'd even argue that a song like Welcome To The Black Parade is more comparable with 21st Century Breakdown (the song) rather than anything off American Idiot.

Save Your Generation by Jawbreaker is probably the best Green Day song that Green Day never wrote.

Pretty much everything Sum 41 has put out in the past 12 years.

Eh, not really. They're far more metal influenced than Green Day. Certain songs do sound Green Dayish, but then you have entire albums like Chuck which sound like Metallica's angry little brothers.

Eh, not really. They're far more metal influenced than Green Day. Certain songs do sound Green Dayish, but then you have entire albums like Chuck which sound like Metallica's angry little brothers.

They've got a hell of a lot less metal since Dave left, though. I'd say the last couple of albums could arguably be diet Green Day, but anything pre-Chuck clearly isn't. I've never understood why the two bands get lumped together.

They've got a hell of a lot less metal since Dave left, though. I'd say the last couple of albums could arguably be diet Green Day, but anything pre-Chuck clearly isn't. I've never understood why the two bands get lumped together.

Lazy listening, probably. Songs like Fat Lip and In Too Deep aren't even close to Green Day's sound. I actually think Sum 41 come in for a lot of unfair criticism really, they had some great stuff.

I'm not even gonna try to defend Underclass Hero though. That was the most shameless attempted rip off of American Idiot since The Black Parade.

Lazy listening, probably. Songs like Fat Lip and In Too Deep aren't even close to Green Day's sound. I actually think Sum 41 come in for a lot of unfair criticism really, they had some great stuff.

I'm not even gonna try to defend Underclass Hero though. That was the most shameless attempted rip off of American Idiot since The Black Parade.

Yeah, Fat Lip is a different genre entirely. And songs like The Hell Song, or basically anything from Does This Look Infected? are a million miles away from pop punk, never mind just Green Day. Sum 41 actually sounded like they had balls :P I've really lost interest since Dave left, and Steve leaving was the final nail in the coffin for me. I saw them on their last tour with Dave and they were heavier live, so for them to go the other way so quickly was a shock.

I actually quite like Underclass Hero, but it was definitely an attempt at emulating American Idiot. That went well. Couldn't agree less about Black Parade though.

Yeah, Fat Lip is a different genre entirely. And songs like The Hell Song, or basically anything from Does This Look Infected? are a million miles away from pop punk, never mind just Green Day. Sum 41 actually sounded like they had balls :P I've really lost interest since Dave left, and Steve leaving was the final nail in the coffin for me. I saw them on their last tour with Dave and they were heavier live, so for them to go the other way so quickly was a shock.

I actually quite like Underclass Hero, but it was definitely an attempt at emulating American Idiot. That went well. Couldn't agree less about Black Parade though.

I always classed them as thrash metal/pop punk crossover band, with some nu-metal thrown in too. All Killer No Filler and Does This Look Infected? are great fucking albums, and I think I listen to songs from them more often than I listen to Green Day these days. It's kinda sad with how they've gone now, but there's always the reunion tours to look forward to :P

Underclass Hero had some great songs, but I could never get into it properly because it was shamelessly piggybacking AI. We'll have to agree to disagree about TBP, I know that's a touchy subject for a lot of people :lol:

I always classed them as thrash metal/pop punk crossover band, with some nu-metal thrown in too. All Killer No Filler and Does This Look Infected? are great fucking albums, and I think I listen to songs from them more often than I listen to Green Day these days. It's kinda sad with how they've gone now, but there's always the reunion tours to look forward to :P

Underclass Hero had some great songs, but I could never get into it properly because it was shamelessly piggybacking AI. We'll have to agree to disagree about TBP, I know that's a touchy subject for a lot of people :lol:

It was actually All Killer No Filler that led me to Green Day in the first place, so I'll always have a soft spot for that. Does This Look Infected? is pretty fun, but I absolutely love Chuck. I think that should have been the album where they started to be taken seriously, it's fucking great musically, but it just never happened.

Haha, well I do like My Chem a lot, but I'm not one of those crazy militant fans, so bring it on :P

I disagree. Obviously there are similar aspects; a similar image (which wasn't originally Green Day's anyway), a concept album (again, not Green Day's invention) and the same producer and director, who are both entitled to work with whoever they want. They also had a similar target audience at the time, but I really think it was as natural a musical progression for My Chem as it was for Green Day. The songs on each album do happen to complement each other very well, but the actual content and themes are very different. I'd even argue that a song like Welcome To The Black Parade is more comparable with 21st Century Breakdown (the song) rather than anything off American Idiot.

I don't disagree, but who was the original bearer of the "image"? I'm assuming you mean black with red tie and eye liner.

I don't disagree, but who was the original bearer of the "image"? I'm assuming you mean black with red tie and eye liner.

Well at the very least The White Stripes did the whole red and black thing first, to the point where Jack White called Green Day out for stealing his image. But it must go back further than that, it was hardly a groundbreaking leap forward in fashion when Billie put black and red together.

But then again, Jack White can shut up since he ripped Brain Stew off in 2001.

The song "Runaways" by the Killers is one I love and also one I wish and could picture a young, Insomniac-era Billie Joe having written, not because of the sound but because of the lyrics. It's all about a young rock star, gets married to his pregnant girlfriend, swears he's going to do the best he can but clearly fucks up and loses his way at times and tries to fight his gypsy instincts.

Well at the very least The White Stripes did the whole red and black thing first, to the point where Jack White called Green Day out for stealing his image. But it must go back further than that, it was hardly a groundbreaking leap forward in fashion when Billie put black and red together.

Which song ripped off Brain Stew?

The song "Runaways" by the Killers is one I love and also one I wish and could picture a young, Insomniac-era Billie Joe having written, not because of the sound but because of the lyrics. It's all about a young rock star, gets married to his pregnant girlfriend, swears he's going to do the best he can but clearly fucks up and loses his way at times and tries to fight his gypsy instincts.

The killers are weird...

Maybe they were just paying tribute to Green Day...

Can someone explain to me how sum 41s underclass hero was an attempt to copy American idiot? I'm not being an ass I just don't see how ?

Can someone explain to me how sum 41s underclass hero was an attempt to copy American idiot? I'm not being an ass I just don't see how

Basically because it's a pop-punk concept album centred around politics and personal relationships. It's a lot less figurative than American Idiot, which is where it falls down.

In his defense, Green Day ripped "Brain Stew" off from Chicago's "25 and 6 to 4".

In his defense, Green Day ripped "Brain Stew" off from Chicago's "25 and 6 to 4".

And in turn Chicago ripped off Tchaikovsky.

Or something.

Basically because it's a pop-punk concept album centred around politics and personal relationships. It's a lot less figurative than American Idiot, which is where it falls down.

It's not a concept album, and what pop-punk bands DON'T talk about personal relationships? I do agree that it's very close though, the title track is pretty much American Idiot 2. I still love the album though.

Archived