Songs you wish were (or could have been) written by Green Day

Heather.

Sometimes when I'm listening to a song, I think to myself, "God, that sounds like something Billie Joe would say, and I wish he had written those lyrics." Or sometimes I'm like "Damn, that melody is so fucking good, I wish my favorite band Green Day could take credit for it." Usually this happens with rock, pop punk, and similar sounding bands, but not always. Sometimes I'll be listening to a pop song and think "I would really love this song if Green Day was singing it." It usually has to do with the lyrics for me. I'm talking about songs that would make you proud to say "Yeah, Green Day wrote that."

There are also songs that sound like they COULD have been written by Green Day, and I don't just mean cheap Good Charlotte knock-off songs like The Anthem. :lol: I'm talking about messaging. I heard "Unwell" by Matchbox Twenty on the radio this afternoon, a song and artist I don't know or care about. I listened closely to the lyrics and was just picturing it as a song written from Billie's rehab perspective, and it just made it a lot more powerful to me than it ever could have been as just a 'meaningless Rob Thomas song'.

But I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
I know right now you can't tell
But stay awhile and maybe then you'll see
A different side of me
I'm not crazy, I'm just a little impaired...

I was thinking about how "Huh, I never really liked this song, but if Billie Joe had written it from his personal experience, I'd be kvelling over it like a Jewish grandmother." I realize that I value lyrics more when I know and care about the artist who wrote them, and since I don't know or care about Rob Thomas, I found a way to admire a song by pretending it came from Billie Joe.

Anyone else do this? What songs do you wish were Green Day songs? Bueller?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of Joint Aktion songs sound similar (either lyrics or music) to Green Day songs.

Inb4 people get butthurt because people are "insulting Green Day" by comparing their song writing to shitty bands

There are also songs that sound like they COULD have been written by Green Day, and I don't just mean cheap Good Charlotte knock-off songs like The Anthem. :lol: I'm talking about messaging. I heard "Unwell" by Matchbox Twenty on the radio this afternoon, a song and artist I don't know or care about. I listened closely to the lyrics and was just picturing it as a song written from Billie's rehab perspective, and it just made it a lot more powerful to me than it ever could have been as just a 'meaningless Rob Thomas song'.

I was thinking about how "Huh, I never really liked this song, but if Billie Joe had written it from his personal experience, I'd be kvelling over it like a Jewish grandmother." I realize that I value lyrics more when I know and care about the artist who wrote them, and since I don't know or care about Rob Thomas, I found a way to admire a song by pretending it came from Billie Joe.

Inb4 people get butthurt because people are "insulting Green Day" by comparing their song writing to shitty bands

How dare you, MB20 is awesome.

Side note - I got their guitarist's pick at a concert :)

How dare you, MB20 is awesome.

Side note - I got their guitarist's pick at a concert :)

I wasn't talking about them. Just waiting for someone to come in here and throw around some MCR or some shit.

I wasn't talking about them. Just waiting for someone to come in here and throw around some MCR or some shit.

How dare you, The Black Parade is awesome. :angry:

Green Day could have written The Black Parade. See:

How about The Black Parade? I always found the parallels between that and American Idiot kind of unnerving. It's like, were Green Day and MCR the same band at the time?! The visual similarities were striking, both bands had sudden massive success out of seemingly nowhere, and both did so with inflated pop punk concept albums at more or less the same time. I think MCR took a lot of influence from Green Day for that album. I know they were released two years apart but Green Day's success over here was still going strong in 2006, and MCR kind of took over from them for a bit, although naturally to a lesser extent. Obviously the stories have different themes, but I think they actually complement each other very well, and listening to both albums back to back makes for a very interesting experience.

Anything by the Foxboro Hot Tubs. :ga:

Addicted by Simple Plan (Imagine Billie saying "I'm a dick! I'm addicted to you.")

I'd really enjoy this thread a lot more is you'd explain your reasoning behind picking these songs rather than just listing them. Which I'm sure was Heather's intention.

Cotton eye joseph cause billies name has joe in it and its perfect for his vocal range

I'd really enjoy this thread a lot more is you'd explain your reasoning behind picking these songs rather than just listing them. Which I'm sure was Heather's intention.

Yeah, seriously, I didn't mean this to be meaningless 'post your favorite song names' thread.

Sometimes when I'm in a cheesy mood and I hear a love song I'll think "Aw, that songs really annoying, but if Billie wrote it I'd think it's sweet" :lol:

Are You Gonna Be My Girl by Jet. This seriously should be on Stop Drop and Roll

More or less every Jet song should be on basically any AC/DC album, so I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Archived