Green Day / Bad Religion

Drain Bramaged

I am a big fan of both Bad Religion and Green Day. Recently, I was watching an interview with Greg Graffin around '92 or '93 when Bad Religion were on tour with Green Day to promote their Recipe For Hate album. Kerplunk had just come out at this time. In the interview, Graffin seemed to express negative views towards the time he spent with Green Day on the tour and I was just wondering if anyone was aware of any tension between the bands or any reasons of some distaste.

Most of the other members of Bad Religion seem to be pretty cool about Green Day, I know that Mr. Brett is a fan and there are videos of Greg Hetson wearing a 39/Smooth t-shirt.

Any responses would be appreciated! Thanks!

I didn't know they were touring together in the 90's !!! Oh how I suck.... sorry, I can't give any response then... ;)

Hmm, I've read a fair bit about this tour in various Green Day magazines and whatnot, and from those I only ever had the impression that they had a pretty good relationship. So this is the first I've ever heard of any tension between them.

Also, someone posted here a few months ago that Greg Graffin joked about Green Day being on Broadway and said that they didn't give back, not taking Bad Religion on tour when Green Day were bigger than them. He said more about that matter earlier I think, and Billie Joe replied that he didn't think it was right to have them just like a "support band"... or something like that :lol: Anyway, everything is in this thread, although it's closed: http://www.greendaycommunity.org/topic/84680-bad-religion-bash-green-day-in-il/

They were together at a festival last year at Vienna and I was hoping to hear something Bad Religion / Green Day said about the other, but I think that didn't happen. Maybe someone can tell more about this.

I am a big fan of both Bad Religion and Green Day. Recently, I was watching an interview with Greg Graffin around '92 or '93 when Bad Religion were on tour with Green Day to promote their Recipe For Hate album. Kerplunk had just come out at this time. In the interview, Graffin seemed to express negative views towards the time he spent with Green Day on the tour and I was just wondering if anyone was aware of any tension between the bands or any reasons of some distaste.

Most of the other members of Bad Religion seem to be pretty cool about Green Day, I know that Mr. Brett is a fan and there are videos of Greg Hetson wearing a 39/Smooth t-shirt.

Any responses would be appreciated! Thanks!

I'm a fan of both bands too. Can you link to the interview you're referring to?

In the One Nine Nine Four documentary Greg Graffin doesn't specifically talk about Green Day but he does defend against the idea of "sellouts" and so I know he's not an asshole about some punk bands making more money. There's also an interview somewhere on youtube (just audio) of him talking to a crowd in LA and saying "Thank God for those bands like Green Day [crowd boos]. Come on, you know you bought those records. And now the punk scene just keeps growing and growing."

The man is too smart not to have an appreciation for what Green Day has done. Maybe recently he's had some situation/opinions.

And yeah Brett seems like a supportive Green Day observer.

I think it's possible that Greg Graffin is maybe a tad bitter towards Green Day, not even for "selling out" as much as attaining popularity, more so than Bad Religion ever had. So because of that, he probably just not really mad, he just felt Bad Religion maybe deserved to be more popular or influential than Green Day or something.

I don't think that Greg Graffin is thinking about whioch band is more popular. He has his beliefs about punk (Check Manifesto punk), also he has always been so polite when he talked about Green Day and The Offspring. By the way:

This was around 1997:

greg-graffin-billy-joe.jpg

And also, when ¡UNO! came out, Brooks Wackermann said in an interview for a Spanish Rock fest he liked the record and he told he was a GD fan. And also, (10)39/smooth (Lookout version) was distributed in Europe by Epitaph Records:
394121_3317447134054_21452387_n.jpg

• 2 months later...

Green Day opened 8 BR shows each on the 1993 Recipe For Hate North American Tour and on the 1994 Stranger Than Fiction European Tour.

Greg G.: "I don't think they're annoying. I think they made a helluva great album, the first one."

Jay: "(...) they were opening for us on our Recipe For Hate tour (...), and they had just gotten out of the studio making 'Dookie'. They had an advance cassette in their bookmobile and we were listening to it. Brett and I were listening to it and just said, 'This is a fucking great record'. Literally like, 'See you guys later, you're gone', 'cause nobody was making anything close to that. Nobody was making anything that accessible at that time (...). So, it doesn't boggle my mind, they're great song writers, and they're a great, great band."

Green Day asked BR if they wanted to open their tour in summer of 2010. Had they not already booked their tour, BR would have done it.

Green Day opened 8 BR shows each on the 1993 Recipe For Hate North American Tour and on the 1994 Stranger Than Fiction European Tour.

Greg G.: "I don't think they're annoying. I think they made a helluva great album, the first one."

Jay: "(...) they were opening for us on our Recipe For Hate tour (...), and they had just gotten out of the studio making 'Dookie'. They had an advance cassette in their bookmobile and we were listening to it. Brett and I were listening to it and just said, 'This is a fucking great record'. Literally like, 'See you guys later, you're gone', 'cause nobody was making anything close to that. Nobody was making anything that accessible at that time (...). So, it doesn't boggle my mind, they're great song writers, and they're a great, great band."

Green Day asked BR if they wanted to open their tour in summer of 2010. Had they not already booked their tour, BR would have done it.

thx fpr posting, but source?

Archived